Benadryl Dosage Calculator for Dogs
This simple way to calculate the safe dosage of Benadryl (Diphenhydramine), for your dog is called the Benadryl dosage calculator for dogs.
We have you covered, no matter what your need is – anxiety, motion sickness, or allergy. We will tell you all you need to know about giving Benadryl to dogs, the various allergy medicines for dogs on the market, as well as possible side effect from antihistamines for dogs.
Can you give your dog Benadryl
No and yes are the answers. Always consult your doctor first!
Our regular food can be harmful to our dogs, as we all know. Let’s take a look at chocolate and grapes. Human medicine can also be very harmful to pets.
What is important to verify?
Let’s take a look at Benadryl, or any other diphenhydramine that can be used for dogs.
- You must ensure that the tablets/syrup contain only active substance which you wish to give to your dog. Any additional content is often found in human drugs.
- Double-check that you are giving your dog the correct dose. Do not follow the instructions for humans on the medication’s packaging. Always use your current weight. This is especially important when searching for liquid Benadryl dosages for dogs. Make sure to scan the label carefully for the drug concentration. It is usually indicated in mg/mL.
- Always check with your veterinarian to make sure your dog’s symptoms do not indicate a serious illness or disease. It’s better to be safe than sorry
- Find out about the health conditions of your dog that could pose a greater danger to its life/health if Benadryl is combined with them. Your dog should not take Benadryl if it has any of these diseases/states:
- Low blood pressure
- Any serious cardiovascular disease
- Be aware of all side effects from Benadryl and consult your veterinarian immediately. If they do occur, you can either discontinue the medication or call an ambulance. Call for assistance if you notice severe adverse reactions.
- Dry mouth
- Urinary retention
- Insatiable appetite
Now that you have all the information you need about Benadryl dosages for dogs based on weight and possible side effects, it’s time to explore our other tools and learn new things!
What can Benadryl be used for in dogs?
Benadryl can be used as an antihistamine medication . This medication can be used to treat any allergy. This medication is usually effective for a short time.
Histamine is an ingredient released by cells called mast cells that triggers allergy reactions in our bodies. Histamine is also important in human brain, which is why it’s used to treat motion sickness.
Antihistamines for dogs have multiple uses. Our Benadryl dosage calculator is available for all of them.
- Benadryl to treat anxietyBenadryl is recommended by veterinarians for dogs suffering from severe anxiety related to traveling, thunderstorms, and fireworks.
- …for Allergies This is used to treat skin, food, and airborne allergies.
- …for motion sickness These are caused by planes, cars, and boats.
- …for treatment of tumors
- …for heartworm treatment Antihistaminic medications protect your dog against the immune system overreactions that can result from heartworm elimination.
This is a list of Benadryl generic medications of possible allergy drugs for dogs, which are available on the US Market:
Do not give your dog drugs without first consulting your veterinarian .
Interested in other drugs for dogs, Take a look at the following links:
What amount of Benadryl should I give my dog?
Q: How much Benadryl should a vet recommend for dogs in the US?
A: The general dosage is 1mg (milligram) for 1lb (pound).
Benadryl dosage per mg = Dog's weight pounds *1 mg
Q: What is the Benadryl dose for dogs in mg/kg (kilograms).
A: The general dosage is 22.5 mg per 1kg (kilogram).
Benadryl dosage per mg = Dog's Weight in Kilograms *2.2 mg
Let’s take it one step further, and calculate the amount of Benadryl we need for a dog in milliliters.
Our dog is 25 pounds in weight and terrified of flying. The concentration of our liquid Benadryl is 12.5 mg/5mL
- Let’s find out how many milligrams are needed.
Benadryl dose in mg = 25lb * 1m = 25m
- Let’s convert milligrams from mg into milliliters.
We require 22 mg of Benadryl
12.5 mg/5mL = 2.5mL = 2.5mg/mL
25/2.5 = 10mL
- It was easy! We will need 10ml of Benadryl.
You know everything! Take a break.