Cat BMI Calculator
The fluffy nature of cats can make it difficult to know when your cat is getting too much. It is not enough to weigh your cat. A healthy weight for your cat depends on many factors, including its age, breed, and sex. Our cat BMI calculator will help you answer the burning question, “Is my cat overweight?” Regardless of these factors, all cats are different. You only need to take two measurements.
Domestic cats are becoming more obese. It is hard to resist our feline friends, especially when they want a snack. So, we might end up feeding them too much. You don’t have to worry if that is the case. This article will give you tips to help your cat lose weight.
How do you measure your cat’s BMI?
The Feline Mass Index calculates your cat’s BMI based upon its proportions. It’s simple to use and only requires two measurements. These are the steps to use it:
- Your cat should be standing straight with its head up.
- Take measurements of your cat’s rib cage. You should measure your cat’s rib cage at the 9th level. This is located between the cat and his front legs.
- Measure the length of the lower leg of your cat from the knee to its ankle.
- Enter the measured values into our cat BMI calculator. This formula will give you the result:
FBMI = (((rib cage/0.7062) - leg length )/0.9156) - leg length.
To make it easier to use our cat weight calculator, we have created a picture showing how to measure your cat.
What does the result actually mean? The FBMI ranges
There are five BMI ranges that can be used by humans. However, the number of BMI ranges was reduced to four for cats. We present below the FBMI Chart.
Let’s look at an example to clarify the situation. The FBMI of a cat with a 14 inch rib cage circumference and a 2 inch lower back leg is 44.4. If we change the FBMI value in the calculator to 29, which is within the healthy weight range (which is about 10 inches), the calculator will tell us that the target circumference for the cat’s rib cage is approximately 10 inches.
This table and your calculator result will help you answer the question ” Is my pet overweight?“
How can you help your cat lose weight
Like humans, keeping a healthy weight for your cat can help prevent several health problems. This cat weight calculator can be used to track your cat’s progress, and show you how far they need to get to the ideal weight. Here are some tips to help your kitten.
- Reduce the amount of treats you give your cat. Other rewards are also appreciated by most cats, such as playtime and treats.
- You can reduce the amount of regular food if you prefer to keep the treats. However, never starve your cat. ” Crash Diets” are not recommended for pets or humans. This would be a terrible thing for a cat.
- You can replace dry food by canned food, which tends have more carbohydrate or protein content. This will make your cat feel fuller longer. This will prevent your cat from grazing. Dry food can be as satisfying to cats as chips or other snacks for us.
- Play with your cat. It can be a fun exercise for your cat and a way to lose excess calories.
- You may need to keep two cats or more separate from the overweight cat.
This is a guideline. There are many causes for excessive weight. Always consult your veterinarian to rule any more serious conditions. To get an idea of how much food your cat needs, you can also check its calorie intake. Although it can be hard to keep cats trim, especially if your cat prefers to be indoors, it is definitely worth the effort.