How to Apply for a Refund of Duty (Customs) In Bermuda

Apply for a Refund of Duty (Customs) In Bermuda By Yourself

  1. Prepare copies of all the documents associated in the shipment you want to refund.
  2. Find form 52 at the customs office. Fill it out and get it approved by two customs officials.
  3. Create a letter of request for a refund addressed to the customs collector who is in need of the funds. NOTE your request for refund should also contain an initial Bermuda Customs Declaration (BCD) form as well as a copy of the receipt for payment to customs in addition to the corrected BCD that will include the duty which should be paid, if duty was due.
  4. Attach all of these documents to the refund request letter. Then, visit the customs house to pick up your applications at their reception.
  5. The customs officer will confirm the application and forward it to the custom officer for processing.
  6. You’ll either receive an inquiry for more information or a written letter of acceptance, or a letter of refusal from the Customs Refund Officer at the address you specified on your form.
  7. If your application is approved If your request is approved, you will receive the refund within a month from the date of your application . If you are rejected, you may appeal the decision.

Apply via Mail:

  1. Documents that are required including the refund application form in one file and submit them to Collector of Customs through this address P.O. 20, Hamilton, HM HX, Bermuda.
  2. After your application has been received and processed, your application will be processed and you will be notified of the customs reply through the email address you given us.
  3. If your request is accepted If your request is approved, you will receive the money within one month of the date you submitted your request. If the application is denied you have the option of appealing the decision.

Required Documents For Apply for a Refund of Duty (Customs)

  • Letter of request for refund
  • Original Bermuda Customs Declaration (BCD)
  • Newly Corrected BCD
  • Invoices
  • Airway bill
  • List of packing materials
  • Note of credit
  • The warranty documentation
  • Export shipping documents
  • A certificate for the return of items
  • Original Formula 52

Office Locations and Contacts

Ministry of National Security:
Department of Customs
P.O. Box HM 2084
Hamilton Hamilton
(441) 295-4816
Customs House, 40 Front Street, Hamilton.


  • Anyone who has paid an obligation in error may seek a reimbursement


  • Free


  • If you have paid duty incorrectly You must make a claim within six months of the date you made payment. If you’re requesting an amount of duty to refund to take effect of any duty relief, it is necessary to make an application within twelve months of the date you paid.

Documents to Utilize

  • Form 52 can be obtained from the customs office

Processing Time

  • One month from the date of the application


  • In order to receive a reimbursement for duty that was paid incorrectly it is necessary to write an application letter for refund directly to Collector of Customs requesting a reimbursement of duty that was paid incorrectly.
  • Be sure to include all of the necessary documents to your application in order to avoid any misunderstandings that could result in your application being refused.
  • If you receive form 52, make sure it’s signed by two customs official
  • The letter of request should contain the reason for your reimbursement i.e. the circumstances that led to this request, the amount of the items and the duty you paid for it and an example of the amount you’re asking for by presenting the calculation.
  • This document cannot be accepted electronically (i.e. scanning, fax or email). Only physical hardcopy copies is accepted.

Need to have the Document

  • It is an official letter of request addressed to the customs collector to request a reimbursement of duty fees due in error.

Information that could be helpful

External Links


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here