How to Apply for a travel document (teudat maavar) In Israel

Apply for a travel document (teudat maavar) In Israel By Yourself

  • Request an application for Israeli passport at the nearest office of Misrad Hapnim (Ministry of the Interior).
  • Three months following you’ve reached the three-month mark after your Aliyah day (immigration in Israel). You must apply for Teudat Maavar.
  • The Teudat Maavar is similar as it’s Israeli passport. When you make an application for it will be sent to the Teudat Maavar will be mailed to the address on your home address that is listed on the Teudat Zehut (Israeli ID card). Check to see if Misrad Hapnim is the address you have currently.
  • Every family member who wants to apply for an Teudat Maavar (including children) must be present physically in Misrad Hapnim.

Required Documents For Apply for a travel document

  • Teudat Zehut (id)
  • Foreign Passport
  • Two passport photos that are identical per family member
  • Applications that works with Teudat Maavar (you can fill it out on Misrad Hapnim and download the application)
  • The processing fee is to be paid with credit card or cash;

Office Locations and Contacts

Office: Afula

Address 1 Yehoshua

Telephone: 04-6099111

Fax: 04-6521393

Time of Opening:

Services offered: Sun-Tues & Thurs 8:00-12:00. Wed and Mon 14:30-17:30 (Not not including visas or citizenship related issues)


  • Non-citizens who don’t possess a passport of another type like an undocumented person.
  • Israeli citizens who are not required to carry the passport, as an example for thosewho have lost their passports abroad.
  • foreigners (Tami”l) who are in the country, to permit those who are not natives to the country
  • such as immigrants who enter Israel and are deported or even foreigners who have to leave Israel for reasons other than their own and aren’t able to obtain an entry visa from another country.

It could also be issued in the case of the Israeli resident in any of a variety of scenarios:

  • in the first year following moving or have not been able to settle in the country for the first year after migration.
  • Dual nationals as well as foreign nationals and.
  • Israeli people with an arrest convictions.
  • Israeli citizens who lost or destroyed three passports.
  • Israeli citizens who have naturalized, who have received an official passport, but they do not have a plan to establish themselves in Israel.
  • Israeli citizens who lost their passports on an abroad journey.
  • Israeli citizens who have returned to Israel through the decision of government officials of the Israeli government.


205 NIS,


Valid until the applicant has acquired an Israeli passport

Processing Time

Around seven business days. This process may be delayed when it is the official Israeli celebrations like Pesach and Sukkot


  • The only time you can make an application for Teudat Maavar within 3 months after your Aliyah date. Don’t attempt to apply for the Missrad Hapnim(Ministry of Interior).
  • Before the three months are expiring, they will not permit applicants to apply.
  • If you travel overseas and depart Israel during the first three months , but return to Israel after three months, then you are eligible to travel using the passport of your foreign country. If you decide to return to Israel then you can apply for an Teudat Maavar.
  • If you plan to travel outside of the country within the 3 month post-Aliyah marker which makes difficult to obtain your Maviar at the Misrad Hapnim within their usual deadlines, you must visit the nearest Misrad Hapnim with the original flight ticket to demonstrate that you are in a hurry. The Misrad Hapnim will ensure to issue the Teudat maavar on time for your flight. Be sure to visit the Misrad hapnim the earliest time possible (after the 3-month mark) to start the process of obtaining you Teudat Maavar.

The Information You Need

  • Applicant name
  • Birth date
  • The place of birth
  • Address
  • Country of origin, if applicable.

Documentation is needed

Israel can issue a travel permit (teudat ma’avar) to anyone who doesn’t have an Israeli or foreign passport that permits the person to enter and exit the country, as well as to travel

Information that could be helpful

An Oleh must live at minimum 75% during the one-year period in Israel following their Aliyah to qualify for the Israeli passport. If you commute but don’t have that amount or time within Israel, Misrad Hapnim takes the liberty of deciding whether you qualify for the passport or not depending on the circumstances of your residence. This means, if your entire family is located in Israel or your children attend school, or go to school, etc. Misrad Hapnim will more probably issue you the passport. It is determined on a case-by-case basis.

Other uses of the document/certificate

  • For identification purposes.

External Links


  • Travel documents issued to holders might not have an entry visa free into certain countries as those who have an ordinary Israeli passport.
  • The utilization of a travel permit to leave Israel is not, in itself, give the holder the right to travel outside of Israel or the right to go back to Israel.




Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here