How To Apply for International Driving Permits / License (IDL) In China
China doesn’t issue or recognize or recognize the International Driving Permit or other foreign driver’s licences. Only foreigners who possess an active residence permit are able to apply for an Chinese driver’s licence. Tourists who are visiting or wishing to reside in China may request a provincial driver’s licence or a full driver’s licence.
How do I apply In Online
- Go to the DMV office close to the location in which the residence you live in is recorded or at the place where you have a temporary residence. Along with all the documents required. Note that your certificate of temporary residency must be endorsed by the police station in the vicinity of your residence.
- A physical exam is then conducted through the DMV officer. The test mostly tests your vision as well as your hearing and reflexes.
- After you have the physical results, you need to attach them with the necessary documents. Fill the Drivers License application form. NB this form must be filled out written in Chinese and must be filled out in Chinese but you may request assistance from a staff member or take a translator along with you.
- If you are applying for a full driver’s license, the applicants will have to pass a the written test which contains 100 questions randomly selected and a passing score of 90/100.
- Make sure you submit all of the documents required along with the required fee in the form of a check to the DMV officer, and then wait for your driver’s license to process.
Documents Required International Driving Permits / License
- Three to four copies of the passport as well as your Visa (do make sure to take the original documents, too)
- Three to four copies of your residency card or certificate of temporary registration
- Three 1-inch colour photographs with a white backgrounds.
- Foreign driver’s license as well as an original duplicate of the license
- Form for physical exam results
Office Locations and Contacts
General Office of the Ministry of Public SecurityE-mail: email@example.com
Address: East Chang’an Avenue in Beijing on 14th
Zip Code: 100,741
Shanghai Municipal Transport and Port Authority
Address 100 Dagu Road (Office hours 9am-11:30am and between 1:30 and 4:30pm, from Monday to
Friday) Telephone: 23111111
Vehicle Administrative Office, Traffic Police Division,
Foshan Public Security Bureau
No. 1 Qinggong Er Road, Foshan City
Authorities for consultation: Vehicle Administrative Office, Traffic Police Division, Foshan
Public Security Bureau
The authorities for complaints are: Supervision Division of Foshan Public Security Bureau
Consultation number 8962829
Complaint number 11 or 83391061
What Are All The Eligibility
Age range 18 to 60 years old
- Provincial license 3 months
- Full driving licences for 6 years.
- Based on the submission method used:
- On-site in person Licensing Office: To be issued the same day, or
- Mail By mail: To be delivered to applicants via certified mail no later than 10 days of the date of the application’s receipt.
- There may be different or changes to the contracting States policies or the conditions for applying for IDPs. If you are considering using an IDP when driving within the countries or locations concerned. You are advised to inquire at the Consulates or residence offices of the places or countries concerned to find out more information prior to applying to get an IDP or prior to driving in the area or country concerned.
- If the countries or places that you plan to travel do not allow those with IDP issued by China driving, get in touch with the Consulates and residence offices of the concerned countries or places for more information.
The Information You Need
- Types of Identification
- Identification Number
- Date of Birth
- Official language of preference for license
- Email address
- Telephone or contact number
- Facsimile number
- Address for mail
- Residence address
The Document is required International Driving Permits / License
A International Driving Permit (IDP) is an identification document which permits the holder drive a motor vehicle privately in any country which recognizes IDPs. To be valid the IDP is required to be accompanied by a valid driving license.
Information that can be useful
The convention of 1968 (as modified in 2011)
The most important regulations regarding driving licenses are contained included in Annexe 6 (domestic driver’s permit) along with Annexe 7 (international driving license). The version currently in force of these is in force in every Contracting Party since no later than March 29, 2011, (Article 43).
Section 41 of the Convention defines the requirements for driving licenses. The most important of them are:
- each driver of a motor vehicle has to have a valid driving licence
- Driving licenses are granted only after passing the theory and practical tests that are controlled by every country.
- Contracting Parties must accept that as valid to drive within their respective territories:
- The driving licence for the country of origin is in line with the regulations that are in Annex 6 to the Convention;
- International driving licences comply with the requirements in Annex 7 to the Convention subject to the condition that it is accompanied by the driving licence of the country in which it is corresponding;
- driving licenses issued by driving licences issued by a Contracting Party shall be recognised on the territory of a different Contracting Party until this territory is the normal residence for their holder.
- All of the above does not apply to learner-driver licenses;
- the validity period of an international license must be no longer than three years from its date of issue, or up to the expiration date of the driving licence issued in the country or until the date of expiration, whichever comes first;
- Contracting Parties are able to refuse to recognize valid driving licenses for people who aren’t 18 years old or, in the case of categories D, C D, CE and DE less than twenty-one;
- An international driving license can solely be granted by the Contracting Party in whose territory the holder is a regular home and who issued the national driving licence or recognized that driving license issued by a different Contracting Party; it shall not be valid within the territory of that jurisdiction.
Other uses for the document/certificate
A IDP granted in China can be used for driving in certain countries or places. these are the countries or locations that are the Contracting States of the International Conventions concluded at Geneva on September 19, 1949.
The IDP that is a little larger than a passport is a multi-language version of the driver’s licence issued by the country of issue, complete with a photograph and important statistics. Most often, visitors who are short-term don’t require an IDP as their driving license suffices.