How to Apply for Maintenance Loan In United Kingdom

Apply for Maintenance Loan In United Kingdom By Online

The application process is different for students who are applying for admission from England (Student Finance England), Scotland (Students Awards Agency for Scotland), Wales (Student Finance Wales) as well as Northern Ireland (Student Finance Northern Ireland).

For those who reside in areas of Channel Islands (Jersey, Guernsey) or Isle of Man, get contact with the educational authority.

To assist you in asking the ways to get an installment loan in your nation, contact us using the information below.

Office Locations and Contacts


student Finance EnglandPO Box 210
Darlington DL1 9HJ

Telephone: 0300 100 0607
Monday through Friday from 8am until 8pm
The Saturday and Sunday of the month, 9am-4pm

Textphone: 0300 100 0622
Monday through Friday 8am – 4pm


The Student Awards Agency for Scotland
Saughton House
Broomhouse Drive
EH11 3UT

The number you need to call will be based on your course kind or the location the course you’re studying. Contact numbers – details



Student Finance Wales
Phone 0300 200 4050
Minicom 0300 100 1693

The hours of operation are:
Monday through Friday, 8am until 8pm
Saturday 9am – 1pm
Sundays are closed

PO Box 211
Llandudno Junction,
LL30 9FU


Northern Ireland

Student Finance Northern Ireland

Telephone inquiries

  • Phone: 0300 100 0077
  • Minicom 0300 100 0625 You must connect to an Minicom device to access this service.

Open hours
Monday through Friday – 8.00 am until 8.00 pm
Saturday and Sunday Saturday and Sunday 9.00 am until 4.00 pm


Channel Islands


Student Finance
Phone: 01534 449450
Fax: 01534 447420

Monday through Friday 8.30am until 4.30pm

Careers Jersey
Philip Le Feuvre House
La Motte Street
St Helier



Education Department
Grange Road
St Peter Port
Channel Islands

Tel: +44 01481 733000
Fax: +44 714475


Isle of Man

Education and Children

Head Office:
Hamilton House
Peel Road
Isle of Man

Telephone: +44 1624-685808 (or +44 1624693838).



Maintenance loans are available for full time UK students. Students who are part-time, EU students and students who are 60 or older cannot apply.

Your qualification for student finance depends on:

Your college or university: Must be in the UK or one of the following:

  • Publicly supported (paid through the federal government) either
  • private-sectorally funded, but offering individual courses that are funded by the public.

Course: The course must be available in the UK and include at least one of the following is required:

  • a first degree, eg BA, BSc or BEd
  • A Foundation Degree
  • A Certificate of Higher Education
  • A Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE)
  • A Higher National Certificate (HNC)
  • A Higher National Diploma (HND)
  • A Postgraduate Certificate of Education (PGCE)
  • Initial Teacher Training

Take note of: Make contact with your institution or university and ask if the course you are taking is recognized.

If you’ve previously completed in a higher-education course prior to: Generally, youll only be eligible for student loans for your first degree of higher education. This is the case regardless of whether your previous course was funded by yourself.

However, you could be able to receive some funding you meet the following criteria:

  • you change course
  • You leave your course, but you decide to re-enter
  • You are working towards an education level such as you’ve completed an HNC or HND and are now looking to complete an honours degree

The age of your applicant: To apply for maintenance Loan you must not be older than 60 at the time of beginning the course.

Your residency or nationality status:

  • The applicant must be a UK citizen or possess been granted settled status (no limitations on the length of time you are allowed to remain)


Maintenance Loan to cover expenses of living The applicant are required to provide information about their income from their household. The loan is paid directly to the bank account of the applicant at the beginning of the term. The borrower will be required to repay the loan.

Based on the location you are applying the loan, it will be with the Secretary of State to Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS) in England and the Department for Employment and Learning (DEL) in Northern Ireland; the Scottish Ministers, the Welsh Ministers. Or The Student Loans Company (SLC) that is a government non-profit organization.

Student Loans Company (SLC): Responsible for:

  • financing the loans of English, Welsh, Northern Irish and EU students;
  • controlling your bank account which includes the addition of interest and refunded any overpayments
  • answering questions about your loan.

The document is needed

A Maintenance Loan assists you with living expenses and is paid in three installments during the academic year.

The following is a process for students to apply for a maintenance loan.

External Links

  • GOV.UK:
  • Guides for student finance from 2015-2016:



Leave a Comment