How to Apply for Transfer of Motor Vehicle for Returning Residence In Uganda

Apply for Transfer of Motor Vehicle for Returning Residence In Uganda By Online

  1. Visit the Uganda Embassy abroad close to the location you are in.
  2. Fill out the registration form.
  3. Please fill in the form with your Tax identification number TIN as well as the other required information.
  4. Make sure you fill out the form in the correct way before you submit the form.
  5. Include all documents required and at the payment counter and pay the fees required.
  6. Submit the application.
  7. When you submit your form, you’ll be issued a receipt acknowledging your submission.
  8. Submit the application to the Embassy Attache Licensing officer to get approval, along with attachments.
  9. After approval by the attache Licensing officer, a certificate of return as well as a certificate of return is issued
  • Residents who return are permitted to bring home personal and household items, including one motor vehicle, on a duty-free base.
  • The vehicles are transferable after two years. If it’s shorter than 2 years the applicant will be directed to find an agent for clearing and pay tax.
  • For specialized vehicles e.g. refrigerated trucks whose function has changed, tax are required to be paid.
  • If you’re an Ugandan living abroad and you are considering returning to Uganda here are a few of the rules you must know about. However, taxes and duties must be paid for all vehicles which is not exempted at the rate applicable.

Required Documents For Apply for Transfer of Motor Vehicle for Returning Residence

  • Original Passport (if issued in the last two years, the previous Passport must also be present)
  • Residence Visa/Work Permit Original
  • PIN Certificate
  • Original Bill of Lading / Air Waybill
  • Comprehensive Valuation of the Vehicle Inventory Three copies, in detail each one with a number and signature by the owner
  • Packing List as well as other important support documents.
  • Authority Letter naming a licensed Custom Clearing Agent to perform on behalf of the person

Office Locations and Contacts

Uganda Revenue Authority Headquarters:Plot M193/M194, Nakawa Industrial Area,
P.O. Box 7279 Kampala, Uganda.
Phone: +256 414744000, 0800117000 (toll free)
Website:Uganda Revenue Authority

Others offices Kampala South is located in the Old Kampala Mosque,
Kampala North is located within Bwaise (Mulago Kalerwe Round about).

Uganda Revenue Authority (URA)
Crested Towers (Tall Tower)
Tel: 041-7443000, 041-7443134

Uganda Revenue Authority (URA)
Nakawa (HQRS)
Tel: 041-7440000, 041-7442042


  • To be eligible, the return Residence must be over the age of 18 years.
  • The applicant must have owned the vehicle within Uganda for a minimum of twelve months (excluding the time of travel for the purpose of shipping),
  • The vehicle has to be registered and owned in the name of the person applying for it and, if the vehicle is bought under hire purchase terms the initial installment must be completed and delivered at least 12 months prior to the time of importation.


  • Goods up to the amount of US Three hundred dollars (US $300) for each person who travels.
  • Residents who have returned are permitted to import one motor car on the basis of duty-free.


  • It is not valid for a time period.

Processing Time

  • Maximum Processing time is 21 days.


  • Make sure you fill in the form correctly.
  • Do you have all the documents required be read
  • A separate application has to be made for each vehicle that is imported.
  • All new vehicles must be registered and titled before they can be utilized within the nation.

The Information You Need

  • Registration number of the vehicle;
  • The engine number of the vehicle.
  • Chassis number.
  • The name of the owner currently in use (as on the record book);

Information that can be useful

  • The returnee must show evidence of their residence abroad, and their belongings have to be brought into the country within three months after arriving. However, the Commissioner is able to extend the time limit up to one year.
  • Importation of a motor vehicle that is duty-free excludes minibuses and buses with a seating capacity greater than 13 people and commercial vehicles with a capacity of 2 tons or more.
  • A Ugandan citizen returning from a country operating left hand drive (LHD) motor vehicles can bring in a right-hand drive (RHD) vehicle from any other source.
  • The replacement vehicle’s current retail price is not to exceed the price of the left-hand drive vehicle.
  • The person returning to the country must present the proof that they own and have personally drove a left-hand-drive vehicle in the country of their the previous residence for a period of at least one calendar year before their departure.
  • They also need to provide evidence that they have disposed (transfer in title) of the vehicle previously owned prior to changing residence to the new place of residency.
  • The standard rule is that the items should be owned by the person who is taking them along with the passenger.
  • The items must be intended to be used for household or personal usage by the passenger, and in such types and quantities that the appropriate official (Customs Officer) will permit in compliance with the limitations of these exemptions.
  • The residents who return and people or businesses who are deemed to be important for national significance are issued number plates with white characters set against red backgrounds. They are duty-free and are tax exempt. Examples include travel and tours companies, racing vehicles, non-government organizations and many more.

External Links




Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here