How to Apply for Transfer of Vehicle ownership in absence of previous owner In Uganda

Apply for Transfer of Vehicle ownership in absence of previous owner In Uganda By Online

Transferring absentee motor vehicle sometimes referred to as the transfer of a car in the absence of the previous owner via Uganda Revenue Authority (URA). The former owner of the vehicle is the one listed on the logbook of the vehicle and as such, there are people who go missing after selling their cars, with all the fruits to track them , often with no result because of the death of a loved one or simply disappearing without any clue. In this case the Uganda laws allow those who purchased the vehicle in the end with all the proofs necessary to transfer the motor vehicle or bike into their name however only after completing specific requirements.

HOW to apply

  1. Visit the commissioner to take swearing oaths and ask whether you can swear an Affidavit. Then take the steps as directed
  2. You must then have the duly embossed and sworn Affidavit in front of your commissioner of oaths, and give it to the licensing authority.
  3. The transfer is to be accompanied by the version of the Public Notice published in the daily paper announcing the intention to sell the motor asking the owner of the vehicle to submit their opposition, if applicable, to the High Court within two weeks.
  4. It is also recommended to obtain an order of the court that instructs the license officer to assign the car in your name
  5. As a prospective applicant, you must be able to present your original identity documents to the licensing authority.
  6. It is also recommended to bring along an original register book and it’s transfer forms (old Form 3) which were issued by the owner who originally registered in case they’re all in your possession.
  7. You must be able to provide the vehicle an official from the authority responsible for licensing to be inspected
  8. You need to provide a valid assessment that they have chosen by the office of licensing
  9. After completing all of the above, The licensing official will complete the process and issue a new registration book that is in the name of the owner currently in possession.

Required Documents For Apply for Transfer of Vehicle ownership in absence of previous owner

  • Identification documents
  • Old log book
  • Affidavit letter
  • A court order that instructs the Licensing Officer transfer the vehicle into their names
  • A copy of the notice that was carried in daily papers announcing their intention to move the vehicle

Office Locations and Contacts

Uganda Revenue Authority (URA)Headquaters
Plot M193/M194,
Nakawa Industrial Area,
P.O. Box 7279,
Phone: +256 414744000, 0800117000 (toll free)


  • The owner who bought the vehicle in the last instance with all documents. This applies if the previous owner of the vehicle is not present.


  • You must go to the commissioner for oaths in order to get an Affidavit. Then, go through the Uganda Revenue Authority with the necessary documents.

Requirements Information

  • Full names
  • Nationality
  • telephone number
  • Physical address
  • Signature
  • Email
  • occupation
  • Name
  • The model of the vehicle.

External Links

Uganda revenue authority
An Affidavit



Leave a Comment