Apply for Vehicle Certificate of Fitness (CoF) In Uganda By Yourself
- Contact the ministry of work or the transport office and ask for help in submitting an application for a certificate of fitness
- You will be told about where to go and make an appointment. the authorized person, a CoF inspector, will determine a time when the motor vehicle is given to be inspected.
- On the scheduled date, the applicant must take their vehicle into the inspection location where your vehicle is scrutinized at the direction of the CoF inspector
- After the completion of an inspection or renewal of an inspection of a motor vehicle the authorized person will issue a report of the vehicle’s inspection for the inspection. They must also provide the owner a copy on form 1.
- When a motor vehicle does not pass the inspection or re-inspection the authorized person must issue a Refusal certificate of fitness to the proprietor of the motor vehicle, in the form 2
- If your car has passed this CoF test, then the examiner will place the CoF sticker to the inside of the front windscreen, on your driver’s side. The number in the centre of the label indicates the month that your certificate expires. The date is printed on the label’s front the date on which expiration of your certificate is recorded on the reverse of the label.
- When the candidate is unable attend the appointment, they should inform the person in charge at least 24 hours prior to the time of the appointment.
Appeal on the refusal from Certificate of Fitness
- An individual who is dissatisfied with the inability of an authorized person to issue an official Certificate of Fitness can make an appeal before the minister to request a Re-inspection.
- The appeal should be submitted at the transport ministry under the direction of Chief Licensing officer within 14 days of the date of notification that the decision was refused.
Required Documents For Apply for Vehicle Certificate of Fitness (CoF)
- Report of inspection.
- Third party motor insurance.
- Motor Vehicle Registration Book.
- Owner Valid National Identity Card or passport
- A duplicate of the licence to operate in the event of an public service vehicle an omnibus that is private or goods vehicle
- A copy of the document for incorporation, or registration of a motor vehicle that belongs to a corporation or any other legally registered entity
- A letter of authorization from the accounting officer for an automobile owned by the Government
- bank slip (inspection fees)
Office Locations and Contacts
Ministry of Works and TransportPhone #: +256 414320101
Physical address: Old Port Bell Road
Address for Postal Delivery: P.O. PO Box 10 Kampala, Uganda
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Web Site: Works Website
Operating hours: Monday through Friday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm (excluding the public holiday weekend and weekends)
directions: View Directions
- Anyone who has a motor vehicle within Uganda
- The licence fee is 30,000 Ugx.
- The renewal fee for the licenses is 300 Ugx
- The Certificate of Fitness is valid for a period of twelve months after the date of issue.
- Certificates of Fitness issued to public service vehicles as well as goods vehicles that have a gross tonnage greater than 3500kg is valabil for a period of six months after the date of issue.
- What does a CoF inspection covers?
- Test station inspectors who are approved by the testing institutes review the requirements set out in the Official Motor Vehicle Inspection Manual issued by the Minister of Transport.
- Condition of the Tyre
- structural state (rust isn’t permitted in certain regions)
- Towing connection condition and certification
- load restraints, such as load anchorages, logbolsters or curtain systems to determine the their condition and any applicable certification
- Certificate that demonstrates the loading (display and valid)
- Transport service licence number (if required)
- bulbs (are all bulbs functioning? Do
- Glazing (is your windscreen secure?)
- Washers and windshields for windscreens
- Doors (do they open and shut securely?)
- Safety belts (must not fade or be damaged and buckles should function correctly)
- airbags (if installed)
- speedometer (must be in operation)
- suspension and steering (must be secure and safe)
- exhaust (there must not be any leaks, and the exhaust must not be louder or smoky that the exhaust from which it came)
- Fuel system (there should not be leaks)
- Engine condition
- Name of the person applying
- The nationality of the applicant
- Number of registration for the vehicle
- The address of residence of the applicant
- The model and make of the car
- The mode of operation of the vehicle
Documentation is needed
- Certificate of Fitness (COF) is a document that certifies that an entity or individual as being competent and fit to take part in a specific work activity or industrial endeavor. They are issued by government agencies or through government-recognized third parties.
Information that can be useful
- The certificate of fitness (CoF) will be issued as a periodic test to make sure that your vehicle is in compliance with safety standards. The vehicles that require this type of certification include:
- large vehicles, trucks, trailers with larger dimensions motor homes
- All passenger service vehicles – buses, shuttles, taxis
- vehicle rental, institution vehicles
- It’s your responsibility to keep your car up to standard in all instances
It is illegal to operate in a car.
- If it isn’t in line with CoF requirements
- If it doesn’t show an active CoF label.