Applying for a Tax Return In Uganda By Yourself
- In the Uganda revenue authority (URA) office with all the documents required and then go to the counter for service and ask for an application form to complete your tax return.
- Take the time to read the instructions carefully and then fill out the application accurately. Ensure that the information is accurate before you submit it to the designated officer.in case of any difficulties, need for assistance, please contact the personnel
- Once you have submitted the completed form, the official will then enter your details in the URA computer system.
- The system will automatically calculate your tax return. In the event that you receive a refund you will be redirected to an application which prints the refund check and a request for payment will be sent out to transfer the funds to your bank account within the next day.
- Log in to the Uganda revenue authority (URA) portal on the internet. to apply onlineusing your login ID and password.
- Click on the return option under the drop-down box “select the kind of return that you want to fill”
- Download the return template onto your computer.
- Save the template in the desired location on your computer. It is not recommended to rename the file uploaded
- The template should be opened prior to filling in the template activate macros using the directions on the sheet that is labelled help, which is on the form that you downloaded. After enabling macros close the template and then open it again. you will see an email that says” Do not remove and copy any value on the sheet “
- After filling in all necessary information, you can validate the return by clicking the VALIDATE button on final page of the return.
- If there aren’t any errors, select yes to create an upload file. In case of errors, you can click on the sheet of errors, make corrections to the mistakes by saving and validating an increase, click on yes to create an upload file.
- Save the file to the location you want it to be on your personal computer.
- Return to the homepage and sign in to your account with your TIN and password
- After you log in, under E-Services on the left side you can click E-Returns. Select the type of return you would like to submit.
- Choose the time period during the period for which the return will be completed and then click on to check. Fill in all the information required.
- Select the period of return and the image’s text in the format is displayed, then click browse to upload an uploaded file. Click upload to upload an online return.
- When the registration is approved, an acknowledgement receipt via email will be issued and a copy emailed at the address you provided when registering and to account number of TIN account.
- If the upload form does not pass online validation, fix the errors you identified on the template saved (from which you created your upload file) Save the file, verify and then re-generate an upload file
- Try uploading the file once more.
Contacts with Agents
(There could be additional costs associated for this procedure). Agent’s Disclaimer
Angualia Busiku and Co. AdvocatesContact Email : firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Phone: +256774477656, (+256774110111
Website: URL to website
Open Hours and Times : 8:30 am until 5:45 pm
Required Documents For Applying for a Tax Return
- Personal Identification Number (PIN)
- National identification numbers given to all taxpayers in Uganda who earn income that is tax-deductible.
- All employee pay slips and pay records
- Email address
Office Locations and Contacts
UGANDA REVENUE (URA) (URA)
URA Headquarters: Plot M193/M194,
Nakawa Industrial Area,
P.O. Box 7279 Kampala
Phone: +256 414744000,
0800117000 (toll free)
Additional offices: List
- Every Registered Business earning an income that is above the threshold
- All professionals who earn a salary by using Tin Numbers
- Anyone who earns an income that comes from.
- Profession/Business/Ownership of Property is supposed to file a tax return in Ugand.
- Free no cost
- It’s valid only for one year.
Documents to Utilize
Examples of Documents
Please include a copy of your completed documents that could be helpful to others.
- Around 1 day
What is the reason you have to file a Tax Return?
- The timely submission of tax returns allows you to stay clear of tax penalties as well as other criminal penalties.
- The accuracy of your information can improve your risk ratings in conjunction with URA.
- The submission of VAT returns that demand the payment of URA can be the foundation for refunds when one wants to receive the tax refund in cash which are not paid.
- All returns are required to be filed and submitted on or before the due date.
- All returns are required to be submitted in the prescribed format and in the format that is prescribed.
- Always provide complete and accurate information when you submit the return
- If the due date is a holiday, the day that is the last working day prior to deadline for submission of returns be the due date for return filing.
- Government, its institutions,companies,authorities; paying an amount exceeding one million shillings for goods (or materials) or services to any person in Uganda and Gazetted(designated) persons by law who withholds tax at rate 6% ,shall be marked as with holding agent.
- It is mandatory to file a return of withholding for those taxpayers designated as withholding agents.
- Taxpayers who are not withholding agents are allowed to file a returns only if they’ve withheld taxes from the payer.
The Information You Need
- Name and address of the company
- Identification documents
- Citizenship and birth
- Identification documents
- The Business Source
- The registration form is a reference point.
- declaration and confirmation
- Additional details.
Need to have the Document
- It is an income tax that is imposed by the Government of Uganda on anybody who earns income in Uganda. Any individual or group of artificial or individual bodies that have earned income in the previous year are able to file an Income tax return.
Information that can be useful
This is a list of people who are not required to file tax returns.
- A non-resident who’s income is generated from sources within Uganda and is subject to withholding tax as an end-of-year tax e.g. Payments to foreign countries or entertainers who are not residents of Uganda and sportsmen contractors or professionals.
- A resident who’s gross income is primarily employment income earned through a single company, and from where tax is taxed pursuant to the PAYE system.
- A resident who’s total taxable income for the tax year is less than the threshold set in the Income Tax Act.
You are required to prepare the income tax form if the income exceeds a certain amount that varies based on the status of your tax return, your age, and the kind of income you earn during the calendar year. You can get the assistance from a professional or complete it yourself by visiting the Income tax department.
- In this instance you must submit tax returns in order to claim the refund. It’s your decision whether you’d like to receive an amount of money or not.
- It is not a crime under the law if don’t claim the refund.
- Business owners and individuals in Uganda can request a tax return by submitting a statement of expenditure and income, the assets as well as liabilities as well as any other information that makes up the complete financial statements for a particular period of time.
- Return statements is available when filing tax returns.
The tax form or forms are used to file taxes on income through the Internal Revenue Authority. Tax returns are typically created in a worksheet format which means that the figures for income used to calculate tax obligation are written in the form itself.
Tax returns are required each year for a person or business that has earned earnings during the year, regardless of whether it was normal income (wages) or dividends, interest capital gains or other earnings.