How to Change Your Name (Deed Poll) In Bosnia and Herzegovina

Change Your Name (Deed Poll) In Bosnia and Herzegovina By Online

Most important you can do to legally alter the name of your business is begin with a new name. Introduce yourself under your name change, fill in applications and forms with you new identity, inform all your family members and friends to use your new name. Also, inform your school or employer of your new name.

If you would like to use an alternative name, you may modify your address at any point provided that you do not plan to deceive or fraudulently deceive any other person. There is no legal process to follow to change your name. It is as simple as registering that new name. You can alter your forename or surname, or add names, or alter your names.

While there isn’t a legal procedure to change your name, you might need proof of changing your name. You cannot, however, alter the information in your birth certificates with the exception of certain circumstances.

If you decide to switch your names you can now use your name you have chosen for any purpose including publishing marriage prohibitions, legal actions and changing or obtaining information on a driving license or passport.

Required Documents For Change Your Name (Deed Poll) 

  • Certificate of criminal record
  • Request addressed at the Ministry of Justice
  • Applications addressed to the Registrar
  • ID Card (original and photocopies)

Office Locations and Contacts

Ministry of Interior
Mehmeda Spahe 7
Phone: +387 33 280-020
Fax: +387 33 590-218

How to Change Your Name (Deed Poll) In Bosnia and Herzegovina
How to Change Your Name (Deed Poll) In Bosnia and Herzegovina

Ministry of Justice
Valtera Peri?a 15,
Phone: +387 33 213-151
Fax: +387 33 213-152 lok. 358


Many people choose to change their names due to many reasons. Perhaps you want to alter how you spell your name or you do not like the name that your parents chose for you, you’d like to remove the middle initial, are looking to eliminate any family affiliations or perhaps you simply need to change your name! It is legal to change your name to your first as well as your middle name.


You don’t need to provide any legal proof to prove that you’ve altered your identity, so long as it is clear that you are able to be recognized by the new name you have chosen. There are however instances, like when applying to get a passport where proof of the change in name is required. The required evidence varies based on the reason it is required and could include:

  • an official note from a responsible person
  • A public announcement
  • a statutory declaration
  • a deed poll.

The Information You Need

  • Your name appears on the birth certificate or on citizenship or immigration documents.
  • The full name you’re applying to change (if you’re switching your names).
  • Birth date and location
  • Details about marital status and other details
  • Residences for the past three months
  • Address for correspondence

Documentation is needed

If you have or want to use an alternative name to the name you registered There exists no lawful requirement to change your name in a formal manner. It is advised to change your name in a formal manner in order to prove your identity as well as to document the name change.

Name change typically refers to the legal action of an individual who adopts an identity that is different from the name they had at birth, wedding or adoption. The procedure and the ease of changing names differ across areas.

Information that could be helpful

Typically, you are able to legally change the name of your family to any name you’d like to. However, there are exceptions however:

  • It is not possible to change your name in order to avoid debt or to avoid criminal charges.
  • You cannot change your name to commit an offense.
  • It is not possible to change your name in order to deceive. This typically involves using the name of a celebrity. The courts generally don’t allow this, unless there is an evidence-based argument that is not directly related to the person who is famous or the use of their name.
  • You shouldn’t pick a name that is confusing because it has punctuation marks or numerals. But, certain judges have allowed people to spell out numbers, like “Seven” rather than “7”.
  • It is not possible to choose names that could be intimidating people, offend or be considered to be obscene.
  • You cannot select a racial insult.

Other uses for the Document/Certificate

You may wish you to alter your name due to:

  • You’ve just been married
  • You’ve been divorced
  • If you just want to make a change

External Links

Government of Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina

Federal Ministries of Bosnia and Herzegovina


How to go about changing your name depends on which category you fall into. The process of changing your name after divorce or marriage is an easy process, whereas changing your name just because’ takes a bit more effort, however it is still fairly straightforward and much more simple than it was previously.

If you want to modify your personal name, you must submit an application to your nearest Superior Court that details the reasons for changing your name. Once the court has approved the request, it will have to change you Social Security card, driver’s license, and passport.

Leave a Comment