How to Change Your Name (Deed Poll) In Malta

Change Your Name (Deed Poll) In Malta By Online

Anyone, who may be interested, is able to make an application before an appropriate court in Malta to seek (a) the modification to any registered Civil Status Act, (b) the legitimacy of subsequens of matrimonial relations for a person born outside of wedlock, and (c) acknowledgment of paternity of someone born outside of wedlock.

Legitimation of subsequens to matrimony as well as name correction by means of a prescribed form that is outlined by the Civil Code may also be done by submitting an application to the Director of Public Registry.

Furthermore, nullities and divorces of civil unions and marriages made in Malta are registered with the Public Registry together with divorces and nullities of marriages and civil unions acquired abroad (issued by an appropriate court) are registered at the Public Registry after ascertaining that they meet the requirements that are required by Maltese Law. Changes arising out of the above cases can be recorded under the annotations section of the Civil Status Act.

The Sections add annotations and corrections to Registry Files Registry Files (which are a replica of the original act) and IT software, in response to an order from a judge in this regard. This annotation and correction could be included in birth and marriage certificates as well as civil union, or death certificates, which are called The Acts of Civil Status. The annotation could result in the correction of the original certificate.

Annotations Section Annotations Section is also responsible for the recording of local adoptions, foreign divorces annulments of marriages, civil unions as well as public acts. It also has responsibility for the acknowledgements and legitimacy of children.

In the case of those women that have successfully completed the procedures of Legal Separation (legal separation), this document explains the change in the maiden surname.

  • Get all the necessary documents when making an application for a change in name.
  • Complete your application and include any other information you require.
  • When the new name, or surname is approved and accepted, you can proceed with registration of with the name you want to use.

Required Documents For Change Your Name

  • Certificate of criminal record
  • Request addressed at the Ministry of Justice
  • The application should be addressed to the Registrar.
  • ID Card (original and photocopies)

Office Locations and Contacts

Public Registry Contact Information

How to Change Your Name (Deed Poll) In Malta
How to Change Your Name (Deed Poll) In Malta

Ministry for Justice, Culture and Local Governmen


In general, you can legally change the name of your family to any name you’d like to. There are a few exceptions, however:

  • It is not possible to change your name to get rid of debts or to avoid criminal charges.
  • You cannot change your name to commit an act of crime.
  • You shouldn’t alter your name in order to deceive. It is usually done by taking the name of a celebrity. Courts generally do not permit this, unless you can provide an evidence-based argument that is not connected to the celebrity or the use of their name.
  • It’s not possible to pick a name that is confusing because it contains punctuation or numerals. Some judges have allowed individuals to spell out numbers, like “Seven” in place of “7”.
  • It is not possible to choose names that are likely to frighten or offend anyone, or be considered inappropriate.
  • You cannot pick a racial slur.

Documents to Utilize

A person may apply to correct a name as per Art. 253 (2A) in the Civil Code (Cap 16)


Many people choose to change their names for various reasons. Perhaps you’d like to alter what you call yourself, do not like the name that your parents chose for you, you’d like to remove the middle initial, would like to get rid of any family connections or need to change your name. It is legal to change your name to your first as well as your middle name, surname or initials or any combination thereof.

Notes as well as Adjustments Section

Requirements Information

  • Your name appears on the birth certificate or on citizenship or immigration documents.
  • The full name that you are applying to change (if you’re switching your names).
  • Birth date and location
  • Details about marital status and other details
  • Residences for the at least three months
  • Address for correspondence

Documentation is needed

If you use or want to use an alternative name to the name you registered There exists no lawful requirement to change your name in a formal manner. It is recommended to change your name legally to be able to identify yourself and to show proof of the change in your name.

Name change is generally the legal action of the person who is adopting the name of a different person to their birth name in marriage or through adoption. The process and procedure for the name change differs across areas.

Information that can be useful

Most important you can do to legally alter you name legally is begin using the new name. Introduce yourself with the new identity, complete forms and applications with you new identity, and tell all your family members and friends to speak to you under your new name. Also, inform your school or employer of your new name.

Other uses for the document/certificate

You may wish for a change in your personal name due to:

  • You’ve just been married
  • You’ve been divorced
  • Just want to change your mind
  • In the event of adoption

External Links

Government of Malta

Ministry for Justice, Culture and Local Government

A-Z List of all websites

Ministry for Home Affairs and National Security

Public Registry

Notary to the Government


How to go about changing your name will be contingent on which category you fall into. The process of changing your name after divorce or marriage is easy, whereas changing your name just because’ may require a little more effort, however it is still fairly straightforward and much more simple than it was in the past.

If you want to modify your personal name, send an application to your nearest Superior Court that details the reasons why you’d like to change your name. If the court accepts the petition, you’ll be required to update the information on your Social Security card, driver’s license, and passport.



Leave a Comment