How to Change Your Name (Deed Poll) In United Arab Emirates

Change Your Name (Deed Poll) In United Arab Emirates By Online

The steps to acquire the service

  • The form to request services must be completed.
  • Signatures of the applicants as well as witnesses.
  • Signature of Attestation judge
  • Collection of letters for change of first name, addressed directly to the General Directorate of Residence and Foreigners Affairs, Abu Dhabi Police General Headquarters as well as one daily newspaper to publish of a declaration to change names.
  • Following the receipt of the replies and 15 days from the publication dayof the publication, the attestation is able to be completed
  • Retrieving the application from the Archive
  • The process of obtaining a wait ticket.
  • The authenticator must be approached for the finalization of your transaction.
  • Judge’s Signature and Seal in the Declaration.

Required Documents For Change Your Name (Deed Poll)

  • Submitting the applicant’s and witnesses Identity Cards , or evidence of identity for those who aren’t required to have an Identity Card, and copies of the Identity Card.
  • Book for family members of U.A.E national.

Office Locations and Contacts

The Ministry of Justice – Abu DhabiAl Khubirah, Sector 5 Street
P.O. Box: 260
Contact Center 800 33
Tel: +971 2 6921000
Fax: +971 2 6810680
For calls to the internal line:
Tel: +971 2 6921108
Tel: +971 2 6921023
The Ministry of Justice – Contacts


Conditions for purchasing the service

  • The presence of the applicant.
  • The witnesses must be competent.


  • Only U.A.E nationals who have passports issued by Abu Dhabi Emirate in Abu Dhabi are entitled to this service , and it’s only available to the first name.
  • The guardian of children (under 11 years of age) may apply without requirement to write letters or publish in a the newspaper.
  • If the person appearing is an agent for the applicant, an attested power of attorney must be presented.
  • To change the Family and Tribe name, the applicant must contact the General Directorate of Residence and Foreigners Affairs Abu Dhabi.

The Information You Need

  • Your name is listed on your birth certificate, documents of citizenship or immigration.
  • The full name that you are trying to change (if you’re switching your names).
  • Birth date and location
  • Details about marital status and other details
  • The places of residence for the at least three months
  • Address for correspondence

The Document is required

If you have or want to use an alternative name to the name you registered There exists no lawful requirement to change your name officially. However, it is advised to change your name in a formal manner to be able to identify yourself and to prove the change in your name.

Name change is generally the legal action of the person who is adopting an identity that is different to their birth name or marriage. The procedure and the ease of the name change differs across areas.

Information that could be helpful

People change their names for many reasons. Perhaps you want to alter how you spell your name dislike the name your parents chose for you, you’d like to remove that middle name are looking to eliminate any family affiliations or perhaps you simply need to change your name. You are legally able to change your name to your first and middle name or surname or any combination of them.

Other uses for the document/certificate

You may wish you to alter your name based on:

  • You’ve just been married
  • You’ve been divorced
  • If you just want to make a change
  • In the event of adoption

External Links

The UAE Government Official Portal

Utilized Links

Initial Name Change

Ministry of Interior

Ministry of Justice


The method you use for changing your name will be contingent on the category you fall into. Change your name following divorce or marriage is an easy process, whereas changing your name simply because’ takes a bit more effort, however it isn’t difficult and much more simple than it was in the past.

If you want to modify your personal name, you must submit an application to the area Superior Court that details the reasons why you’d like to change your name. If the court accepts the request, it will have to change the information on your Social Security card, driver’s license, and passport.




Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here