How to Convert or Exchange Foreign Driver License In Italy

Convert or Exchange Foreign Driver License In Italy By Online

  • If the license is convertible, the applicant has to fill out the form at the regional motor registry. Two separate installments must be made with already filled “bolletini” or slips for payment which are typically given along with the form in the motor registry.
  • The applicants must also provide copies of their licenses as well as two photos, and a medical certification from a licensed doctor that certifies their ability to drive. Licenses issued outside of the European Union must be authenticated and translated at the Italian Consulate in the state where the license was issued. This certificate must be validated by the Prefecture.
  • It is recommended to complete the application before the 12-month period expires, as it may take time to collect the necessary documents.
  • For the conversion of a foreign license, the holder must visit the closest Provincial Office of Motor Vehicles (Ufficio Provinciale of Motorizzazione Civile) and be ready to present the necessary documents.
  • The original license is to be kept or stamped when it is exchanged. The process could take between four and six months. After that, an Italian license will be issued.

Required Documents For Convert or Exchange Foreign Driver License

  • Form TT-2112 for applications (obtained by contacting the Office of Motor Vehicles)
  • The license as well as an at-least one photocopy that is clear of the front and back
  • A valid ID and at least two photocopies of its back and front
  • Residence permit, and minimum one photographcopy of both the back and front
  • Two recent passport photographs (white background, head uncovered)
  • Medical certificate issued in the past three months that confirms that the driver is mentally and physically fit
  • Receipt of the payment of the fee (for the amount of the fee in effect contact the Office of Motor Vehicles)

Office Locations and Contacts

Ministerio delle Infrastrutture e dei TrasportiThe Italian Ministry of Transport
At: Ufficio Relazioni con il Pubblico, Via Caraci 36, 00157 Roma
Tel:06 4158 2143

Ufficio Motorizzazione Civile di Firenze
At: Via Lucchese, 160 Sesto Fiorentino loc. S, 50019 Firenze
Tel: 055 306 81
Fax: 055 306 8222
Hours: Monday through Friday from 08:30 to 12:00

Ufficio Motorizzazione Civile di Genoa
At: Via de Marini 1, Genova Torre WTC, Piano 13, Genoa
Tel: 010 64071
Fax: 010 414084
Hours They are: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday 8:30-12:00; on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 0830-12:00, and 14:30-16:00

Ufficio Motorizzazione Civile di Imperia
At: Via Littardi 97, Imperia
Tel: 0183 780 911
Fax: 0183 781 091
Hours Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday from 08:30-12:00. Wednesday and Tuesday, 0830-12:00, and 15:00-16:30

Search Office of Motor Vehicles


  • An EU/EEA license cannot be renewed outside of the country of residence of the holder. If a person who holds a licence in another EU/EEA nation becomes resident in Italy prior to when their license expires its renewal date, the renewal date will be held in Italy. This means that it will be converted into an Italian licence and Italian license regulations will be applied to the licence.
  • If the license or permit does not meet international standards the driver should be able to have the licence changed into Italian or have the International Driving Permit (IDP).


The validity durations of licences for the A and B categories are as they are:

  • 10 years for people who are younger than 50
  • Five years for people who are between the ages of 50-70 of age
  • Three years of age for those between 70 and 80
  • Then, two years later, an exam conducted by the health board upon renewal

Documents to Utilize

Application to issue drivers licenses. TT2112

Examples of Documents

Driver licenses


Although holders of a driver’s licence issued by a country of the EU/EEA do not have to exchange their license for one issued by an Italian licence However, they should apply to have their license accepted by their Comune local or Provincial Office of Motor Vehicles (Motorizzazione Civile) within 90 days of acquiring residency, in order to facilitate renewals and replacements in case of theft or loss. If the driver’s licence is lost or stolen and the license was in fact not registered with the authorities, it would need to be inspected by the original authority issuing it to obtain an alternative licence.

The Information You Need

  • Your names
  • Code of Tax Code
  • Birthplace of the child
  • Birth date
  • Gender
  • Permanent Address
  • Province
  • The license category
  • Signature
  • Citizenship
  • Nationality

The document is needed

  • A lot of people who have the standard driving licence issued by a country that is not part of Europe’s Union / European Economic Association (non-EU/EEA) can drive in Italy with a foreign license for up to a year following getting residency. For a complete list of the countries to which this is the case, read below.
  • A valid driver’s licence granted by the European Union/European Economics Space (EU/EEA) country is accepted by every other member state. Drivers with an EU/EEA issued driver’s licence who live in Italy do not have to exchange it to an Italian licence. However, the owner can swap it out at any point.

Information that could be helpful

  • Certain countries have a reciprocal exchange agreement with Italy that allows someone who holds a valid driving licence from one of those nations can swap their license for an Italian one. If a reciprocal agreement is in place, the foreign license is required to be exchanged for the Italian license within one year after the beginning of residence. If the exchange cannot be completed within a year, a full test must be completed successfully before obtaining an Italian license.
  • In March 2012, the countries that have the reciprocal exchange agreement include: Albania (until 15/08/2014), Algeria, Argentina, Croatia, Ecuador, El Salvador (until 19/9/2014) and the Philippines, Japan, Iceland, Lebanon, Liechtenstein, The Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Morocco, Moldova, Norway, Monaco, Republic of Korea (South Korea), San Marino, Sri Lanka (until 14/11/2016), Switzerland, Taiwan, Tunisia, Turkey, and Uruguay (Note this list may changes. Make sure to check by contacting the appropriate Embassy or Consulate or an office within the local region from the Minister of Transport/Ministero di Trasporti)

External Links


The requirements may differ by region office. The original license will be kept or stamped with the date of exchange. The process could take between four and six months. After that, an Italian license will be issued.




Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here