Environmental Impact Assessment Licence In Uganda By Online
Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) is a comprehensive analysis of the impact of a development project to the natural environment. An EIA evaluates the negative as well as positive outcomes of any development project or project and how it impacts people as well as their property and the surrounding environment.
- EIA is also able to identify measures to reduce the negative effects while also maximizing positive impacts. EIA is mostly the process of preventing. It is designed to minimize negative environmental impacts and minimizes risk.
- The National Environment Management Authority (NEMA) is established through the National Environment Statute (NES) No.4 of 1995 to oversee the EIA.
Application In Person
- Contact individual experts or a firm of Experts to conduct an Environmental Impact Assessment for your project. It is important to take note that only registered and accredited environmental experts certified through NEMA is the sole experts licensed to conduct EIAor EA studies as required by law in Uganda
- The report could take 5 days to complete . It cost about UGsh.2,000,000.
- After the EIA project report is completed, submit hard copies to NEMA and make an initial fee of 50 percent of 0.05 percent of the total Project cost.
- At this point, NEMA forwards its EIA report to the leading agencies to be reviewed.
- If the EIA review is approved, applicant will receive a notice of gazettement from NEMA.
- At this time NEMA will issue two weeks consecutively within The Uganda Gazette and a newspaper that circulates in the region or planned area of the project with a notice that will include:
- A brief description of the project
- the site in which the project will be completed;
- the location in which it is possible to inspect the study on environmental impacts or evaluation report is inspected and
- an amount of time not more than ninety days for the submission of written or written remarks by anyone in the public regarding the study on environmental impact the review or evaluation report.
- If there aren’t any objections that are raised in the gazette notification. NEMA is able to approve the EIA report, and the ultimate payment 0.05 percent of the project’s total cost is made . The EIA licence is granted to the developer .On the other hand , the EIA report may be rejected without a valid reason.
- Following the issuance of the EIA licence, NEMA monitors and Audits conditions of approval on an annually basis.
Required Documents For Environmental Impact Assessment Licence
- Copies of the study report
- Reception of payment receipts for fees
- Completely filled application form
- A strategy to ensure the safety and health of workers as well as the neighbouring community
- A strategy to reduce and prevent the risk of accidents that could be predicted and methods of reducing the likelihood of accidents in the course of the project.
- The whole design is the entire concept.
- Project budget
Office Locations and Contact
National Environment Management AuthorityPlot 17/19/21 Jinja Road, NEMA House
P.O Box 22255,Kampala, Uganda.
TeL: 0414 425 068
Alt.Tel : 0414 257 521
Toll Free: 0800 144 444
Website: National Environment Management Authority
- Proponents (Individuals or firms ) intending to carry out projects that could impact the natural environment. These may include:
- an act that is not in keeping with the surrounding environment;
- any structure that is not in harmony with the surrounding area;
- Major changes in land use.
- Urban Development
- Forest related activities
- waste disposal
Eligibility to conduct An EIA research.
- Individual Experts or Firms of Experts who are registered with NEMA is the sole entity to conduct all EIAand EA studies.
- A list of EIA experts is accessible at the Authority’s headquarters and District offices and is accessible obtained after payment of UGsh.10,000.
- The project’s owner pays all costs for the whole EIA process.
- EIA Licence fees are 0.05 percent of the total project cost with a minimum amount of UGSh.2,000,000 without upper caps.
- It is important to note that the EIA licence is in effect for 24 months during which the project is required to start. If the project does not begin within 2 years, the validity may be extended to a maximum of five years.
- Maximum Processing Time: 90 Days.
- Contact a licensed EIA experts to conduct EIA and report on the research
- SUBMIT EIA Study report NEMA
- Request approval of the terms of reference
- Get notice of gazttement
- Notification of the need to gazettement of two weeks with NEMA
- Approve if there are no objection following gazzetement
- get a the license from NEMA.
- Name of the person who is proposing ( person or form )
- PIN Number
- Physical address and postal address
- Contact person’s name
- Email address
- The project’s title
- The scope and goals of the project
- A description of what we do
- The location for the project in question.
- Name (individual or firm) of an environmental expert in impact management
- Certificate of Registration Number EIA expert
- Address, Phone, Email address, Fax of EIA expert.
The Document is required
- The EIA process can be of immense benefit to banks as well as other financial institutions who extend credit to their customers. It’s a method through which an institution can safeguard its investment by ensuring the project meets the legal and planning specifications, specifically with regard to environmental issues.
- An EIA is crucial to protect the safety of the employees and the general public.
- The EIA will allow the environmental impacts of a particular project to be evaluated using a standard yardstick, comparing economic benefits and costs.
- EIA is beneficial for planners because it allows them to make environmentally as well as economically sound decisions in planning and to decide whether or not to proceed the projects likely to environmental impact.
- It is an obligation of law for any project likely to have negative effects in the environmental to perform an EIA. So any developer who is found to be in violation of the law could face legal action brought against them.
- The aim for the EIA is to make sure that the decisions made on projects and activities are sustainable for the environment.
- EIA additionally identifies ways to minimize the negative impact and maximize positive impacts. EIA is essentially an preventive procedure. It aims to reduce negative effects on the environment as well as reduces risk.
- If a thorough EIA is completed and the environment is safe, the environment can be adequately controlled at every stage of a project – planning and design, construction, monitoring and evaluation, operation and also decommissioning
Information that can be useful
EIA is the procedure of studying the negative and positive effects of a project, plan, or action on the environment.
EIA was designed to be the following:
- Developers /Project Proponents;
- Project Approving Agency /lead agency;
- Public and
- Private sector, including bankers and financiers.
- If the document is intended for public consumption, the EIA must be written in an easy and concise language enough to be comprehended by the average person, or else it will not fulfill its objective. Its purpose is to inform these actors about the project, its environmental consequences, and environmentally friendly options and why the project is preferred to those options.This may include studies on the weather,flora and fauna,soil, human health including physical,social,biological,economic and cultural impacts.It is one of those measures taken to ensure that development is sustainable.
- An EIA is required prior to the start of the project.By researching the possible effects that the project might be able to have on the environment, it is possible to avoid or reduce negative effects or the costs that could be incurred in the event of damage. This can be done by designing the project in a different way or making mitigation measures.
Features of EIA
- The main purpose for EIA is to give both the developer as well as the authorities, such as NEMA as well as the Town Planners, the opportunity to select projects with complete understanding of their effects upon the natural environment. It also permits authorities involved to determine whether they want the project to go ahead or not. This saves the developer time and money which would otherwise be spent and allows him to create strategies and guidelines for the prevention of these effects.
- EIA allows the developers and decision makers to assess and predict the possible impacts of their project on the wellbeing of the natural ecosystem and can assist them in identifying alternative solutions by recommending appropriate changes or actions that address environmental, social and economic issues.
- EIA helps improve the credibility of the organization. It also creates an image of an environmental responsible company to the general public , including employees and government agencies. For instance, MTN’s City Pharmacy uses recycled paper for its packaging. MTN currently uses environmentally friendly airtime cards that, when taken away, pose no an environmental threat.