How to Obtain a Divergence Certificate In India

Obtain a Divergence Certificate In India By Yourself

If a person who is having two or more names (may be because off spelling mistake in the name) may apply to the respective authority (local administration/revenue) who shall do the local inquiry into the facts and merits of the details furnished by applicant, thereby verifying the documents submitted in support of the applicants claim, and thereafter issue the Divergence Certificate.

Application In Person

  • The applicant should submit the prescribed application form and submit required documents to the Panchayat or Block or Circle or Tahsildar office in the area where the applicant lives.
  • Go to the appropriate office.
  • The applicant should obtain the form from the appropriate office (please make payment for it if you need it) A written application on a plain A4 sheet in accordance with the guidelines should be utilized.
  • Complete the application with all required documents.
  • After reviewing the documents attached and applications made will record the data and will provide you with a records number to use as a reference.
  • The application will be processed internally. Authorities in charge will perform the initial verification, following which they will scrutinize the documents and the information supplied to the candidate.
  • After the verification has been completed after which the official will present their report to the relevant authority for a decision and then give the certificate to the person applying.
  • The applicant will be issued the document within 7 to 10 days following an appropriate verification.


  • In certain states, the applicant must seek out services available over the counter such as CSC centres/e-seva to apply.
  • In some states , applicants should apply via the state department’s online portal.
  • Find contact information and an application forms from the appropriate state portals by clicking the link under the respective states below.

Required Documents For Obtain a Divergence Certificate

  • Application form.
  • Identity Documentation (Voter ID or Aadhar card)
  • Ration card
  • Marriage Certificate (in case of married persons)
  • Passport Copy (not required).
  • Self Declaration. (Affidavit to prove that you are you)
  • Size of passport photograph (as appropriate)
  • If the government. employee – Service book pension order or book.
  • The Birth Certificate is the proof of birth of the person applying.
  • School Leaver Certificate.
  • Other documents that show a variance in names.
  • Aadhaar Card
  • Page 2 of the Government Gazette booklet with name change information when applicable.


  • Original and copy of the original, with self-attestation as per the instructions of appropriate authorities must be submitted according to the requirements.
  • In addition to the documents above, authorities could request additional documents or information. You must provide them to process.
  • The certificate of divergence is not a an evidence to prove that mutations have occurred.

Office Locations and Contacts

Department of AR & PG,Sardar Patel Bhawan,
Parliament Street, New Delhi – 110 001.
Phone: (011) 23360208
Fax: 011-23360352
Link for Contacts: Link for details


  • Applicant must reside in the state of the state
  • Citizen of India
  • A person who is identified by more than two names.
  • A difference between names of candidate on his or her various forms.


  • Authorities will announce fee details.
  • When you pay online, the fee details will be shown (If applicable)


  • The validity that this certification is for life or as stated on the certificate.

To fulfill the above-mentioned purpose.

Examples of Documents

I Shri/Smt.__________________________________________ age _____________
Residence of ________________________________________ do hereby on the solemn Affirmation states and submit as under :

  1. I say that my name is recorded as ____________________________________________________ In my ___________________________ Certificate.
  2. I say that my name is recorded as ____________________________________________________ In my _______________________________
  3. I’ll say that each name i.e.
    • (a) ________________________________________________
    • (b) __________________________________________________________________ are names of one and same person i.e. myself.
  4. I say that this affidavit is sworn by me in order to produce the same before the ________________________________________________
  5. The assertions stated herein is accurate to the best of my knowledge and my belief.

In solemn affirmation on this ____________ day of ____________

The identifier is :

Processing Time

Typically it takes 7 to 15 working days (this certification can be obtained in less than days in case of urgent need).

Documentation is needed

  • A divergence certificate is needed in the event of a discrepancy in the person’s name on their various documents like birth certificate, passport, etc..
  • If a person has multiple names or spelling errors of name, they require a divergence certificate.
  • A divergence certificate is sought to confirm that the applicant is also known by different name(s) as stated.

Information that could be helpful

  • Never provide fraudulent certificates of details to get this certificate. This could lead to a reprimand.
  • Make sure that your ward’s name is correct when it appears in the school the registers.
  • Always verify your spelling when applying for documents such as passports or driving license,.



Leave a Comment