How to Obtain a License for Conveyance of Petroleum in Tank Wagon or Tank Trailer. In Uganda

Obtain a License for Conveyance of Petroleum in Tank Wagon or Tank Trailer In Uganda By Yourself

  1. To obtain a permit for the transportation of petroleum spirit via tank truck or tank trailer The applicant seeking bulk storage petroleum must visit the ministry of mineral development and energy offices.Visit their website at the link below. Link
    • Petroleum spirit cannot be transported in a tank vehicle or tank trailer unless a permit is in place in accordance with the Rules which authorize the transport of petroleum spirits in the tank trailer or tank wagon.
  2. You will be provided with an Application form to apply for transportation of petroleum spirit within the tank trailer or tank wagon complete and submit.
  3. Complete the necessary information properly and attach all required documents to the application prior to sending it back at the Ministry.
  4. Complete the application form and pay the fees of. The receipt should be submitted as evidence of payment.
  5. This is followed by a verification of the presence of petroleum spirit in the tank trailer or tank wagon by the Licensing Officer from the licensing Authority.
  6. Based on the results that are derived from this investigation can be submitted in the direction of the Ministry of energy and mineral development to be approved by the Ministry of energy and mineral development.
  7. At this point, the applicant gets notified if they have been approved by licensing authority or what corrections must be completed in order for transport of petroleum spirit into the tank wagon or trailers to become licensed.
  8. After a successful approval after which the applicant will be informed and obliged to submit the cost at the licensing Authority and provide the receipt as evidence of payment.
  9. After the licensing process has been completed and the licensed authority can be satisfied based on the descriptions, plans or other information provided in accordance with Regulations that the mode of transferring petroleum spirit via tank trailers or tank vehicles that is proposed by the applicant to obtain a license, is secure and acceptable, it is able to issue to the applicant the license requested for.

Required Documents For Obtain a License for Conveyance of Petroleum in Tank Wagon or Tank Trailer

  • An application form that is filled out correctly is required for processing this license.
  • A permit to transport petroleum spirit inside the tank trailer or tank wagon.
  • The location where the petroleum tank wagon or trainer’s large storage of petroleum are located.
  • The proof of the payment of bulk petroleum storage charges should be added to the application form.
  • Other requirements that could be imposed by the licensing authority from time to time.

Office Locations and Contacts

Ministry of Energy and Mineral Development
Phone: +256 414 320714
Physical address: Plot 21-29 Johnston Road
Address for Postal Delivery: P.O. Box 9, Entebbe, Uganda
Email Address:,
Website: link
Operating hours: Monday to Friday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm (excluding public holidays and weekends)


  • Anyone applying for the transfer of petroleum spirit through tank trailers or tank vehicles operating licenses above is an entity corporate.
  • A company has been registered in Uganda


  • The cost of this licence is USh.177,739.


  • The License is valid for one year

Processing Time

  • the maximum processing time is typically 1 to 4 days


  • Petroleum spirits that have been authorized from the authority that licenses them to be transported must be transported only inside the vehicle that it is connected with.

Requirements Information

  • Name, address, and nationality of applicant. (If corporation, give the name of the corporation, its registered office address and date where it was formed).
  • Tax Identification Number/VAT Registration Certificate.
  • Status of ownership as a corporate entity (sole proprietorship or partnership, unincorporated company an incorporated private/public business associative or co-operative)
  • When the corporate body is registered outside of Uganda it must provide proof of its place of the business is required in Uganda and the registration of the company as a foreign one in accordance with.
  • The location proposed for project (District county, parish, sub parish, county and village)
  • The size of the automobile (in volume in Liters) where the facility will be loaded.
  • Date for the start of construction.
  • Estimated date of completion for the project.
  • Name,address and qualifications of the potential principle contractors and supervisors to be employed for the project or company to undertake the construction/modification.
  • A proof of or commitment to insurance coverage to guard from third-party liability and any other liability incurred by vehicles.
  • The description of the plan as well as the amount of investment capital, supported by an Bank Reference Letter.
  • Description of safety plans equipment, plans and procedures to safeguard health and safety of workers as well as the environment during normal operations and transportation and contingency plans in case of accidents, natural disasters, and emergencies.
  • Other information that is important to be relevant for this particular application.

The Document is required

  • To ensure a secure transportation of petroleum spirit in a tank wagon or tank trailer, and to not compromise the safety standards for petroleum spirits on which the transport facility was licensed The Ministry of Energy and mineral development requires that anyone who plans the transportation of gasoline spirits must apply for a permit.

Information that could be helpful

  • License for conveyance in tank trailer or tank wagon:
  • should be in the form as prescribed by the third Schedule of the Rules.
  • The rules shall take effect on the date that is specified in it. It will expire in the event that it is not previously cancelled under this Rules, by 31st December next following the date stated and
  • Shall allow the transportation of petroleum spirits only within the vehicle it is connected to.
  • With respect to each license granted under the Rules A fee must be paid out to the authority that granted it according to the rates set out within the Fifth Schedule in these Rules.
  • The licensing authority is empowered to issue licenses in accordance with Section III under the Traffic and Road Safety Act 1998. These are the licensing authorities authorised to grant licenses pursuant to the Rules.

External Links




Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here