How to Obtain a License for Conveying more than 1,000 Gallons in Vehicle In Uganda

Obtain a License for Conveying more than 1,000 Gallons in Vehicle In Uganda By Yourself

  1. To obtain a license to transportation of petroleum spirits of more than 1,000 gallons on an automobile other than tank trailers or tank wagons The applicant must get a permit from the ministry of mineral development and energy offices.Visit their website by clicking the link below. Link
    • The Rules state that subject to the Rules Petroleum spirit must not be carried in any vehicle other than tank wagons or tank trailer with a volume of more than one thousand gallons in any vehicle, provided that a license is in effect in accordance with the Rules that authorizes the transportation over one thousand gallons petroleum spirit in that vehicle.
  2. You will be provided with an application form to apply to transport petroleum spirits of more than 1,000 gallons inside any vehicle other than tank trailers or tank wagons complete and submit.
  3. Complete the necessary information correctly and attach the necessary documents to the form before sending it back in the proper form to the department.
  4. Complete the application form and pay the necessary application fee of Rs. The receipt should be submitted as evidence of payment.
  5. This is followed by a verification of the presence of petroleum spirit within the vehicle in a volume greater than one thousand gallons by the Licensing officer of the licensing Authority.
  6. The recommendations based on the findings from the study will then be presented for the Ministry of energy and mineral development to be approved by the Ministry of energy and mineral development.
  7. At this moment, the applicant will be notified if the application has been approved by licensing authorities or what adjustments must be made to allow the transportation of petroleum spirit on the tank wagon or trailer with a volume of more than 1,000 gallons in order to obtain a license.
  8. After a successful approval The applicant will be informed and is ordered to make payment of the cost at the licensing Authority and provide the receipt as evidence of payment.
  9. After the licensing process has been completed and the licensed authority can be satisfied with the plans or descriptions, or any other information provided under the Rules that the method of licence for the transportation of petroleum spirit that is greater than 1,000 gallons within any vehicle other than a tank trailers or tank wagons that is proposed by the applicant for a license , is safe and acceptable, it is able to give the applicant an authorization of the type sought for.

Required Documents For Obtain a License for Conveying more than 1,000 Gallons in Vehicle

  • A completed application form is required for processing this license
  • A letter of acceptance to transport of petroleum spirit through the tank trailer or tank wagon with a volume of more than 11,000 gallons in one vehicle.
  • The location where the petroleum tank wagon or trainer’s large storage of petroleum are located.
  • The proof of the payment of bulk petroleum storage charges should be attached to the application form.
  • Other requirements that could be imposed at any time by the license authority.

Office Locations and Contacts

Ministry of Energy and Mineral Development
Phone: +256 414 320714
Physical address: Plot 21-29 Johnston Road
Mailing Address P.O. Box 9, Entebbe, Uganda
Email Address:,
Website: Link
Operating hours: Monday through Friday, from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm (excluding the public holidays and weekends)


  • Anyone who is applying for the conveyance of petroleum spirit exceeding 1000 gallons on any vehicle other than tank trailers or tank wagons operating licenses above are admissible as long as they are a corporate body.
  • A company has been registered in Uganda


  • The License Fee to obtain the license in question is USh. 177,339


  • The license is valid for one year

Processing Time

  • The processing time for the maximum amount of information is typically 4 days.


  • All applicants who want to transport petroleum spirit that is greater than 1,000 gallons using any vehicle other than a tank trailers or tank wagons must be registered with the The Ministry of Mineral and Energy Development and be aware of the regulations regarding the transportation of petroleum spirits in Uganda.

Requirements Information

  • Name, address, and nationality of applicant. (If corporation, give the name of the corporation, its registered office address, and the place where it was formed).
  • Tax Identification Number/VAT Registration Certificate.
  • The status of ownership for a corporation (sole proprietorship partnership, unincorporated business or incorporated private/public corporation associative or co-operative)
  • In the event that the corporation is registered outside of Uganda it must provide proof of the business location in Uganda and the registration of the company as a foreign one as per.
  • Proposed site of the project (District county, parish, sub parish, county and village)
  • Dimension of the car (in volume in Liters) that the facility will be loaded.
  • The date for when construction is expected to begin construction.
  • Estimated date for completion of the project.
  • Name,address and qualifications of the potential principle contractors and supervisors to be employed for the project or company to undertake the construction/modification.
  • The proof or the commitment of insurance coverage to guard against liability of third parties and any other liability arising from a vehicle.
  • The description of the proposed project as well as the amount of investment capital which is backed by an Bank Reference Letter.
  • Description of safety plans equipment, plans and procedures to protect health and safety in the workplace as well as the environment during normal operations and transportation and contingency plans for accidents natural disasters and emergency situations.
  • Additional information pertinent to the application.

Documentation is needed

  • In order to ensure the secure transport of petroleum spirit up to 1,000 gallons inside an alternative vehicle to tank trailers or tank wagons and not to violate the standards of safety for petroleum spirit that the facility was licensed, the Ministry of Energy and mineral development is required that any person who plans transportation of petroleum spirit should apply for a permit.

Information that could be helpful

  • The Rules the authorities that have the authority to issue permits under the provisions of Section III of the Road and Traffic Safety Act, 1998 will be the licensing authorities authorized to issue licenses in accordance with these Rules.
  • The Rules provide a permit for the transportation of more than 1000 gallon in vehicles other than tank trailers or tank wagons:
  • The form must be as that is prescribed by the fourth Schedule of these Rules.
  • The rules shall take effect at the time stipulated in it, and will expire until previously revoked pursuant to this Rules, by 31st December following the date stipulated and
  • Shall permit the transport of petroleum spirits only in the vehicle it is connected to.
  • The Rules stipulate that for each license granted pursuant to these Rules the fee must be paid by the license authority according to the rates set out within the Fifth Schedule of these Rules.

External Links




Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here