How To Obtain Copies of Birth, Death, Divorce, Marriage Certificate In Belgium
A copy of the civil status certificates are a certified replica the certificate (birth or marriage, death, recognition or nationality) or a judgment (divorce or adoption) that is transcribed into the registers in the Civil Registry.
The documents come from the registry office at the same place they were registered
What is the procedure to use (Brussels)
In the E-Desk
- Follow this link to start the application The Application
- Explore the documents listed to find the documents you need and then click it e.g. Birth certificate extract and then click.
- Navigate to the new webpage to create your application.
- To begin an application you will require your ID card that is electronic and you must
enter the PIN number of the card.
Make an application form for your documents, and submit it should be sent to:
- for documents drawn up or transcribed in Brussels:firstname.lastname@example.org
- For acts filed with the SPF Foreign Affairs before 2004: email@example.com
- Make your application for an certificate of civil certificate via mail to the address given at the office, and the addresses below.
Make an application in person, at the counter
- Check out The Administrative Centre of the City of Brussels as well as those of the offices for liaison between Laeken and Neder-Over-Heembeek , to submit your application in person.
- You must submit all documents required that will be checked and verified by an assist officer.
- After verification, your documents will then be processed, and you’ll receive it as soon as possible.
Note that applications may be submitted by a third party who is a person with the relevant power of attorney to complete the application. If you live the country of your choice, you may make use of one of these methods to request an identity certification from the civil registry of your home in Brussels or call with the office of civil registration where the certificate was recorded.
Documents Required Copies of Birth, Death
- ID document (plus a mandate) and the duplicate of the identity document of the person who is applying in the event that the application is made by an unrelated third entity)
Office Locations and Contacts
Administrative centre Brussels
Boulevard Aspach 6- 1000 Brussels
Tel: +32(0)2 279 22 11
Contact details: Brussels
Police Record Unit – Extracts
Boulevard Anspach 6
Tel: 02 279 62 10
Fax: 02 279 62 69
The hours of operation are Monday through Wednesday, 8:30 am until 3 pm on Thursday, and between 8:30 am and 6 pm.
Fridays from 8:30 am until 12 midnight The distribution of tickets starts starting at 8:15 am.
Hours of operation: Monday to Friday, 8 am to 4 pm.
Office of liaison in Laeken
Boulevard Emile Bockstael 246
1020 Brussels (Laeken) Map
Tel: 02 279 37 00
Fax: 02 279 37 08
The hours of operation are from Monday to Friday, between 8:30 am and noon, and between 1:30 pm and 3:00 pm, excluding Thursday afternoon. Please note that ticket distribution is between 8:15 and 11:30 am and then from 1:15 pm until 3:00 5:15 pm (except on Thursdays)
Hours of operation: Monday to Friday, 8:30 am until noon and from 1:30pm until 3:00 pm, excluding Thursday afternoon. Closing time: extremely closed on Friday, 1 February 2013 at noon
Liaison Office Northeast District
Rue Van Campenhout 16
1000 Brussels Map
Tel: 02 736 04 78
Fax: 02 736 41 95
Open hours: on Tuesdays and Thursdays, between 1:45 and 3:45 pm.
Telephone hours: Tuesdays and Thursdays, from 1:45 pm until 3:45 pm.
What Are All The Eligibility
- Civil certificates that were drawn in Belgium are able to be taken directly from the civil register of the country in which they were recorded.
- In the majority of cases, these documents are available for download at no cost.
- The majority of civil certificates do not have time limits for validity like birth certificates however, some certificates can be removed by a court, such as marriage certificates.
The certificate will be used in Belgium:
- 5 days to submit the receipt of a request via e-mail
- right away at the counter
If the certificate is issued to be used abroad:
- 5 days on the counter
- 7 working days to respond to requests via email
If the certificate was provided by FPS Foreign Affairs prior to 2004: FPS Foreign Affairs before 2004,
- 10 working days to process the submission of a request via email.
- If you want to get the original or extract from a civil status certificate that was drafted in Belgium it is necessary to make contact with for the Belgian municipality that issued the certificate.
- It is also the case if you reside in another country and have registered with an Belgian consulate for career. They cannot ask the consulate as well as their Civil Registry service of the FPS Foreign Affairs or the local Belgian consular representation to act on your behalf during the process required to obtain these documents.
- Full names
- Birth date
- Birthplace of the child
The Document is required Copies of Birth, Death