Register Patent In Bermuda By Yourself
- Conduct a thorough search for an identical patent to be sure your patent is not outdated.
- Get the application form to registration online via the Bermuda government’s Bermuda web site Website Download it by clicking this URL: Form
- Fill out the Application Form A, and include the specifications of the invention and should contain the following information:
- The name of the invention
- A full description in writing of the invention
- A claim, that describes the scope of protection sought
- Illustrations of the invention that show how it functions. If it’s three-dimensional drawings from all angles must be made available.
- The application must be submitted with the necessary specifications to the Registry General for verification and examination . Pay the filling fee of $180.
- The officer in charge can conduct an examination for identical patents or similar ones in the Register of Patents. NOTE: All applications are submitted directly to UK IPO to conduct technical evaluation. This can result in an additional charge based on the length of time needed.
- Following a successful search After a successful application, you will be able to get your report (usually within 6 months) and then decide if would like to continue the application.
- If so, the application will be published within the Royal Gazette (without details of the invention).where there is two months for any person to file an objection to the proposed application.
- After the expiration of this time frame and if there is any opposition, and if you are able to respond to any objections to the patent, the patent is granted and an official certificate of registration will be issued to the applicant.
Application through a proxy:
- It is strongly recommended that you seek out the help of an agent who can assist you in registering your patent However, it is advisable to write a letter from an attorney authorizing the named agent to serve as your legal repeat.
Required Documents For Register Patent
- Formulation A, completed: “Application for Patent”
- A copy of two versions of the description must be included with your application. The specification should outline the nature and purpose that the idea is aimed at. This specification must also contain:
- The invention’s title
- A thorough description in writing of the invention. The description should include enough information to allow an professional within the area to create or utilize the invention quickly.
- A claim. This is an essential component of an application. It should clearly define what is the purpose that the patent claims. It defines the monopoly that is asserted.
- Illustrations of the latest invention. They must clearly illustrate how the invention functions. If the invention is three-dimensional, then drawings of the perspective from all angles need to be included.
Office Locations and Contacts
Intellectual Property Registrations:
The Registry General
Government Administration Building
30 Parliament Street,
Hamilton HM 12
Registrar General : 297-7762
Acting Assistant Registrar General : 297-7976
Trademark Officer 298-6381
Domain Name Agent Domain Name Officer
Trademark Administrator 297-7848
Senior Trademark Clerk : 297-7708
Trademark Clerk : 297-7708
Monday through Friday, 8:30 am until 5 at (except on public holidays)
- Anyone who is in or out of Bermuda is eligible to apply to register.
- The fee for application is $180. Other fees associated with patents could be included.
- Fees are payable in cash or check (payable directly to the Accounting General), Government Revenue Stamps or credit/debit cards.
- Patent registrations will stay valid for 16 years. You may extend it by a further period not exceeding 7 years in a row.
Documents to Utilize
- Application form A: Form
- Between 5 and 6 months.
To be granted a patent, your idea must include all of the following:
- A substance that can be created or utilized
- Ingenious – not an obvious modification to an existing product.
You cannot patent:
- Musical, dramatic, literary or artistic works
- an approach to business, playing games or thinking
- an approach to diagnostic or medical care
- an invention, theory of science or mathematical technique
- New varieties of seeds, plants or animals
- how information is the way information is
- certain computer software
- Name of the applicant
The Document is required
- A patent provides you with the protection of your invention from anyone who could steal it.
Information that could be helpful
- The Bermuda Registry General offers three types of Patent registrations: a complete Patent as well as an interim Patent along with United Kingdom and European Patent registrations.
- Provisional Patents are temporary rights. Provisional Patent is a temporary exclusive right. The provisional patent can be converted into a complete Patent application for 9 months after the date of filing. The complete Patent retains the initial date of filing.
of Bermuda: Government of Bermuda: Government of Bermuda: