How To Replace your Drivers License In Germany
- If you want to apply for a new license, contact the nearest Strassenverkehrsamt (Department of Motor Vehicles) or the Stadtverwaltung (municipality office) in the municipality where the driver’s license was issued. They might be able to prove that you possess valid German driving license. After obtaining the proof, you could have to visit your local Rathaus (City Hall) for a replacement.
- Don’t forget to carry your ID card or passport along with passport-sized pictures.
- If you lose or steal your license, you’ll have to make the police report. You’ll need the report when you request the replacement
- If you’re outside Germany You can contact the closest German Embassy in the country that you are in to seek assistance.
Documents Required Replace your Drivers License
- The completed application form
- Photos that are passport-sized
- Police report (if appropriate)
Office Locations and Contacts
Federal Ministry of Transport and Digital InfrastructureUnit L 23
Civil Service and Visitor Services
Citizens Telephone: +49 30 18300 – 3060
(Mon-Fri 9:00 – 12.00 clock)
For inquiries, send an email to
or by completing using the contact or contact
Phone: +49 461 316-0
Fax: +49 461 316-1650/1495
Phone: +49 351 47385-0
Fax: +49 351 4738536
Postfach 12 01 53