How To Single Status Certificate In Antigua and Barbuda

How To Single Status Certificate In Antigua and Barbuda

Applications for Certificates can be obtained in the Civil Registry Counter. Anyone who visits the Registry must fill out the required forms, hand them in the forms to the person of the Registry and then wait for their request to be processed. The Registry offers same day service.

International applicants can contact the Registrar General through the address listed or by email to request the necessary documents. People who require certificates from outside must send the required amount through an International Postal order or Money order addressed for the Office of the Registrar General. All documents are returned by registered mail, unless other arrangements are made, and the cost is paid by the person applying.

Many urgent requests are addressed through courier services like Fed Ex, DHL or LIAT Quickpak for Caribbean requests. The Registry holds records dating from the 1930s and onwards. The earlier records generally are held in the National Archives. Anyone who is seeking certificates prior to this date must first approach the Registry to request a form which is stamped by Registry that must be delivered by the Archives where the record will be taken by the Archives. After the document is removed and the photograph of the register has to be returned to Registry where an official certificate is issued. Requests from overseas for documents prior to the 1930s will be handled by the Registry staff , who submit the required applications for the National Archives.

Foreigners need to seek an official permit through authorities of Antigua and Barbuda government before marrying an individual who is a citizen from Antigua or Barbuda. You have to prove to Antigua as well as Barbuda officials that you’re in no way married someone else or you’ve not been married before or the divorce proceedings are all finalized, that your identity has been established and that you’ve not committed any crime within Antigua as well as Barbuda. This is accomplished by providing different documents, such as an Affidavit of One-Status in Antigua and Barbuda officials. Antigua and Barbuda government either in Antigua and Barbuda or via an Antigua and Barbuda embassy.

It is recommended to adhere to the guidelines of certain authorities believe are essential. Anyone who wants to marry abroad require special documents. In the beginning, couples need to sign a declaration which is processed by the local government office where marriage documents are issued. The declaration must originate from the state in which you reside in Antigua as well as Barbuda. In this declaration will be noted it is noted that there was no marriage occurred in the last few years.

Because these kinds of documents are required to participate in foreign affairs, you is required to have a local or state-issued registrar’s account or declaration that is certified to work abroad.

Documents that are required Single Status Certificate

  • Valid passport or test passport, or birth certificate
  • A valid ID photo (drivers license or a state-issued ID)
  • Single declarations are signed in Antigua and Barbuda or a formal letter that states the status of someone who is known to the locals.
  • Divorced Original Decree Absolute that includes an official seal from the Court in which the Decree is issued , or a certified copies of the Decree that has that seal on the case from which the Decree was issued.
  • Widow or Widower’s Birth Certificate or Marriage Certificate for spouse or husband.
  • Deed Poll (if the name change is occurring for any applicant)

Office Locations and Contacts

High Court of Justice, Civil RegistryRegistrars Division
P.O. Box 163
Tel: 462?3744/0609
Fax: 462?3929
Ministry Of Legal Affairs
High Commissions and Consular Offices

How To Single Status Certificate In Antigua and Barbuda
How To Single Status Certificate In Antigua and Barbuda

What Are All The Eligibility

In a sworn affidavit, the applicant affirms that they are the person claims to be. It is a Single Status letter or Affidavit that declares that they are eligible and allowed to marry, and other things. Keep in mind that a key characteristic of The Single Status Affidavit, is that it is not a document issued by the government It is an affidavit from the person who signed it that was signed before the notary public. One interesting aspect of this kind document is that it has numerous names that are used for it. For instance, take a check out this listing: “Single Status Statutory Declaration” or”Single Status Statutory Declaration “Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage” or an “Single Status Certificate” or “Free-to-marry declaration”.


These certificates are different in the amount of validity and can, in some cases, only be just a couple of months. Certain countries require certificates to not be older than two or three months prior to the date the wedding. So, it is crucial to research the requirements that are applicable to your situation and pay special consideration to timeframes when applying for an official certificate with No Impediment.


If you’re planning to get married in a different country, you might require an official Certificate of Non-Impediment. The document is available under a variety of names, including Declaration of Non-Impediment for Marrying, Statutory Declaration of Single Status Affidavit of Intentional Marriage, Statement in lieu of Certificate of Non-Impediment for Marriage abroad and Certificate de Coutume, a Certificate of Non Impediment and Certificate of Nulla Osta Certificate of Independence to marry or simply free to get married.

Requirements Information

  • Full Name
  • ID or passport number
  • Date and Place of Birth
  • Nationality
  • Statement
  • Date
  • Signed by the one who signs the declaration

The Document is required Single Status Certificate

A One-Status-Affidavit, also known as which is also called an Affidavit of No Marriage, Certificate of Freedom to marry or Certificate of Non Impediment is a swearing statement that states that you are able to marry.

Overseas marriage authorities typically require additional evidence to prove that the person is eligible to get married. This could be an admission of the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages that there is no record of the couple having previously been married, or a single status certificate or “No Records Result”.

Information that could be helpful

Be aware that a simple Certificate of Non-Impediment might suffice for the marriage to be held in a different country. It is possible that you will be required by foreign authorities to follow the followingrequirements, so please ensure you have enough time to process.

  • Certificates might require translation.
  • Certificates might require endorsement or exchanged with a locally acceptable certificate issued by the Embassy or Consulate in the country in which you plan to get married.
  • Certificates could require legalization i.e. issued with an official stamp referred to by the name of an Apostille.
  • Certificates can require witnesses to sign an Affidavit affirming that you’re legally married and that the certificate is affixed.

Other uses for the document/certificate

For non-nationals who wish to get married in a foreign country, you’ll likely have to provide legally valid documentation from your home country which proves that you are single and you are legally married. This is referred to as a “Certificate of No Impediment and is also known as a ‘Certificate De Coutume’, ‘Certificate de Nulla Osta’ or “Certificate for Freedom to Marry’.

External Links

Government of Antigua and Barbuda

Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Ministry Of Legal Affairs


The certificate will likely be required as a supplementary document when you’re getting married in a country that is not your own.

This form of identification is also needed for work in a foreign nation.

If you’re thinking of wedding in a foreign nation the certificate may be crucial. It is important to prepare ahead and find out whether the country you’re planning to marry is a signatory nation to the Hague Convention of 1961.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here