How To Single Status Certificate In Gambia

How To Single Status Certificate In Gambia

It is recommended to follow the guidelines of certain authorities believe are important. Couples who want to marry outside of the country require special documents. The first step is to sign a declaration which is processed by the local office, where marriage certificates are issued. It must come from the state in which you reside within the Gambia. This statement will be noted it is noted that there was been no marriage in the last few years.

Because these kinds of documents are required to be used for foreign participation, one is required to have a local or state registrar’s account or declaration that is authenticated for work abroad.

  • Visit the Civil Registry office where marriages are recorded.
  • Bring in and sign the necessary documents.
  • Complete a form and make a declaration.
  • Pay the amount.

Documents that are required Single Status Certificate

  • Passport or national identity card.
  • Address proof.
  • If you divorced Decree Absolute.
  • If widowed or divorced, death certificate of the previous husband (and marriage certificate).
  • If the name of your family member has changed through Deed Poll you must provide proof.
  • The applicable fee.

Office Locations and Contacts

Attorney General Chambers Ministry of JusticeMarina Parade
Banjul, The Gambia
Tel: (+220) 422 5352 / 422 9908
Local District & Area Councils in Gambia
Embassy that are part of Gambia Abroad
Gambia Yellow Pages Online

What Are All The Eligibility

For non-nationals who wish to marry in a different country, you’ll most likely have to provide documents from your home country which proves that you are single and you are able to marry. This is referred to as a ‘Certificate without Impediment and is also known as a ‘Certificate De Coutume’, ‘Certificate de Nulla Osta’, or a “Certificate of Freedom to Wed’.


Also, be aware that a basic Single Status Certificate or Certificate of No Impediment might not be enough for an event to be held in a foreign nation. It is possible that you will be required by foreign authorities to follow these requirements, so ensure you have enough time to process.

  • Certificates might require translation.
  • Certificates might require endorsement or exchanged for an locally acceptable certificate issued by the Embassy or Consulate in the country in which you are planning to marry.
  • Certificates could require legalization i.e. issued with an official stamp referred to by the name of an Apostille.
  • Certificates could require that witnesses sign an Affidavit affirming that you’re allowed to marry and it is attached to the.

Requirements Information

  • Full Name
  • Identification number or passport
  • The place and date of birth
  • Nationality
  • Statement
  • Date
  • Signed by the one who signs the declaration
  • Signature of witnesses

The document is needed

  • An Single Status Certification, also called No Marriage Affidavit Certificate of Freedom to Wed or Certificate of no Impediment is a legally endorsed declaration that states you are eligible to marry.
  • Overseas marriage authorities typically require additional proof that the couple is able to get married. The evidence could include the declaration in the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages that there is no evidence of the individual being married before or a single status certificate or “No Records Results”.

Information that can be useful

With a sworn statement, the applicant affirms that they are the person claims to be. It is a Single Status letter or Affidavit that declares that they are eligible and permitted to marry in addition to other things. Be aware that one characteristic of this Single Status Affidavit is that is not a document issued by the government It is the letter of the affiant that was signed before an official notary public. One interesting aspect of this kind documents is the fact that it has various names for it. Take a take a look at the following listing: “Single Status Statutory Declaration” or”Single Status Statutory Declaration” or “Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage” or an “Single Status Certificate” or “Free-to-marry declaration”.

Other uses for the document/certificate

It is essential that the Bride & Groom to be married should provide, the country of their citizenship or individual certificates of no impediment, or a the Certificate of Single Status/Sworn Affidavit to show that they are single and are eligible to marry. This is also referred to as an affidavit of single-status or a negative declaration of marriage. The document is available from the Bureau of Vital statistics in the city where they live.

External Links

Ministry of Justice, Gambia (Banjul) Access Gambia Access Gambia

How To Single Status Certificate In Gambia
How To Single Status Certificate In Gambia


  • If you plan to get married in a different country, you might require the Certificate of Non-Impediment. The document can be referred to by many names, including Declaration of Non-Impediment to Marriage, Statutory Declaration of Single Status Affidavit of a Planned marriage, Statement In-Lieu Certificate of Non-Impediment to Marriage in another country and Certificate de Coutume, a Certificate of Non Impediment or Certificate of Nulla Obsta, Certificate of Independence to marry or just a certificate that allows you to get married.
  • Certificate of no impediment for the marriage
  • You can get this information by contacting the area’s department of foreign affairs, or from your Embassy in the country where you’re getting married.
  • Certificate of Single Status/Sworn Statement that you are not in a position to get married.
  • They are like a Certificate of No Impediment however, you need to prove that you are a single person before a legally authorized representative.




Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here