Let’s begin by understanding what types of jobs an Electronics Engineer might take on in his career.
1) VLSI Engineer: Designing Digital Circuits such as CPUs/GPUs
Scripting (Perl/Python/Shell/TCL), Linux, Verilog/VHDL/System Verilog.
2) Machine Learning Engineer/Image processing: Coding/Computation techniques to Videos/Statistics
Python, R. C., MATLAB and Database (SQL).
3) Software Engineer: Webpage Development/Database Management
Java, C++ and C#.
4) Embedded Engineer: Firmware/Driver design for digital devices.
C, Embedded C Linux.
5) Analog Design: Antenna design/Transceiver RF circuit design.
Linux, SPICE and scripting knowledge.
We can see that scripting is essential for automation. Perl and Python are good choices. C is also available in many languages mentioned above.
If you’re unsure about what type of work you want to do, C or Python are good places to start.
If you’re naive about a specific type of work, I recommend that you start with the languages relevant to your field.
PS: This list of languages was compiled from my interactions with people in the relevant fields. Feel free to edit the types of jobs and related languages.