How to Apply for a new passport in Hong Kong

Apply for a new passport in Hong Kong by yourself

It is mandatory to complete an application personally in the following conditions:

  • Your old HKSAR Passport is damaged or destroyed;
  • your passport was lost or isn’t available it is
  • you must modify your personal information on your passport.

By way of post

Send your application via mail to:

Visas, Travel documents and nationality (Application) Section

Immigration Department

4th Floor Immigration Tower

7. Gloucester Road, Wan Chai

Hong Kong


In office hours, you can submit your application (except for the replacement of a damaged or lost passports) in drop-in boxes that are located in any office of Immigration that handle travel documents.


It is possible to apply online (except to replace a damaged or lost passports or for amendments to personal information in your passport) If you’re:

  • that are eligible to apply for to apply for an HKSAR Passport;
  • older than 11 ;
  • The ability to pick up your passport in person at the designated Immigration Office; for children between the ages of 11 and 15 as well as unmarried people aged between 16 and 17 years old, the parent with the consent or legal guardian is required to accompany the applicant/child for the taking the passport to the office in person, to sign their signature to an application form.

Required Documents For new passport

  • Recent photograph on simple white background
  • Copy of your current Hong Kong permanent identity card (PIC) as well as any other supporting documents (if there are any);
  • Application form
  • If you are a minor, applicants younger than 18 years old, applicants must fill out the form ROP 144 (which must be filled out and completed by the parent or the legal guardian).
  • Parent or guardian’s consent Hong Kong identity card or valid travel documents
  • Birth certificate
  • If you’re married, only your marriage certificate is needed

Office Locations and Contacts

Hong Kong Island Travel Documents Issuing Office

Second Floor Harbour Building, 38 Pier Road, Central.

Tel: (852) 2852 3047

General Questions

Hotline: (852) 2824 6111

Fax-line: (852) 2877 7711


Office Hours

Monday – Thursday: 9:00 am until 4:30 pm

Saturdays from 9 am until 12:30 pm

What are all the Eligibility

You can apply for a passport from HKSAR If you meet the following criteria:

  • a Chinese citizen;
  • A permanent resident of the HKSAR; and
  • an individual who is a holder of an authentic Hong Kong permanent identity card


For those who are 16 years old or more

  • 32 pages of HK$370 (or 48 dollars in US dollars)
  • 48 pages worth of HK$460 (or US$59)

For children aged under 16

  • 32 pages of HK$185 (or 24 US dollars)
  • 48 pages worth of HK$230 (or US$29.5)


Aged 16 or older (valid up to 10 years)

Children under the age of 16 (valid for five years)

Processing Time

  • The HKSAR Immigration Department pledges to complete the application in 10 working days following receipt of all required documents, the application fee as well as a photograph, and within fourteen working days for kids under 11 and not possessing an Hong Kong permanent identity card
  • If you possess an active Hong Kong permanent identity card and are in Hong Kong, processing your passport application for overseas usually takes four to six weeks after receiving all the required documents, documents, and photos. It can take anywhere from 6-8 weeks to finish processing an HKSAR Passport application in the event that you don’t have an active Hong Kong permanent identity card.


  • You will receive your new passport the following working day following the completion of the application process through The Immigration Department. If applications are not made by mail (e.g. by drop-in-box) Additional 2 to 3 days of work may be needed to complete formalities.
  • If you are in urgent need to obtain the passport you need, you are able to go to any of the immigration offices , stating your reasons in writing , and you must provide evidence to back your demand.
  • The passport is only comprised of the personal details of the person who holds it. It is recommended to apply for a different one for every of the accompanying children.
  • If you’re 18 or over, you may apply at the self-service Kiosk in any or the Immigration Offices that handles travel documents.

Requirements Information

  • Applicant name
  • Birth date
  • The place of birth
  • ID No
  • ID of parents/guardians is not valid.

Documentation is needed

  • The HKSAR passport can be used to travel to any country in the world.
  • 150 countries and territories have provided visa-free entry or visa-on arrival to HKSAR passport holders.

Information that could be helpful

If you submit your application personally, applicants are able to pay the required fees in cash via EPS, or an uncrossed cheque made that is payable to the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region’. For applications made through the Self-service Kiosk it is necessary to pay the required application fee in EPS. If you submit your application via post you must make sure to send a cheque that is crossed. Post-dated cheques are not accepted.

Application online

  • To apply online you must pay the required application fee prior to the application via either PPS, or using a credit or debit payment card (VISA or MasterCard Only).
  • If you’re sending your application via postal mail or depositing it in the drop-in boxes:
  • (a) Send in an application form with a photo and a cheque, along with photocopies of copies of any supporting documents. The photocopies submitted must be on A4( 297mm x 210mm ) paper and cannot be returned.
  • (b) The check should be made in the name of “The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region” appropriately date and signed. Post-dated checks are not accepted. Cash is not required together in the same application.

Other uses for the document/certificate

  • utilized as proof of citizenship
  • used to identify

External Links



Leave a Comment