How To Register a Marriage In Afghanistan

How To Register a Marriage In Afghanistan

Marriage Registration

Foreigners looking to get married within Kabul need to first sign their marriage in the Family Court, located in the Kabul Governors House Compound. Outside of Kabul, in the provinces of Kabul marriages may be registered through civil courts.

The couple has to appear before the Family Court in Kabul with two witnesses and a photo ID (preferably your passports). Witnesses must also be able to show photographic proof of identity. In the event that one or more people who are planning to get married is Muslim then a traditional Muslim ceremony will be conducted during the registration process. If both of the individuals are non-Muslims, but foreigners the civil ceremony can be held. Following the court ceremony the couple is deemed legally married under Afghan law. They can later conduct a wedding ceremony of their family or religious that they wish to conduct.

Documents that are required Register a Marriage

  • Original or certified copy of the birth certificate or
  • Valid passports if the applicants are identification cards issued to non-resident applicants
  • If either of you was previously widowed and married the certified duplicate of their marriage certificates as well as a death certificate for the spouse who died.
  • If either of the parties was divorced, you must have an authentic Decree Absolute or an official copy of the Final Judgment. When the record is the Foreign Language, the document has to be translated and signed by a Notary Public who is authorized to do so.

Office Locations and Contacts

Ministry of JusticeOffice of Public Affairs
Street Address: Charayee Pashtoonistan, Foroushgah, Kabul, Afghanistan.
Phone: +93 202 104 336
Email: and

Civil Registration Department
Ministry of Interior
Mobile: 0799 32 $341
You can also get in touch with Malik from the village
Contacts to the Ministry of Interior Affairs

What Are All The Eligibility

  • Religious Marriages

If all or one of the partners is Muslim If both or one of the parties is Muslim, the Family Court will register the wedding and then perform the Muslim wedding ceremony called a nekah. The nekah consists of the igaba wa Qabul (acceptance contract) and the Khotba. If the Muslim man wishes to marry a foreigner who is not Muslim and she does not belong to the Kitabi (of the text, i.e. Christian or Jewish) the woman must first change her religion to Islam. In either situation the court will be able to register the marriage on a religious basis by nekah.

  • Civil Marriages

If both of the parties are foreigners who are not Muslims the court will officially be able to register the marriage through solely the igaba waqabul or acceptance agreement. This is not the second half of the traditional Muslim wedding ceremony. The court may also attempt to enforce the laws for marriage that apply to the couple’s home country. For instance, even though Afghan law allows marriage with polygamy American couples will not be permitted to marry more than one woman.


This document will be valid for six months from the date it was issued. If you don’t marry your Afghan partner within six months of the issue of your Afghan Marriage document then you have to apply again with new documents.


It is not feasible for a non-Muslim male to get married to an Afghan Muslim female in Afghanistan However, the possibility exists for an Muslim man to get married to an un-Muslim, foreign woman.

Furthermore the court won’t recognize marriages that involve Afghans who claim to not be Muslim in the event that the couple has consented to the Muslim wedding ceremony. Afghan law regards all Afghans as Muslim in default.

Foreigners have to apply for an official permit through the Afghan government to get married to with a citizen of Afghanistan. It is necessary to show Afghan officials that you’re no longer married to someone other than yourself – or you have never been married , or the divorce proceedings are all finalized, that your identity can be verified and that you have not committed any crime in Afghanistan. This can be done by submitting various documents, including an Affidavit of Single-Status for the Afghan government, either directly in Afghanistan or through an Afghan Embassy.

Requirements Information

  • District, province, region and village
  • The names of the couples
  • Father names for the pair
  • The date and the number of the wedding certificate
  • The couple’s marital status prior to their wedding
  • The profession of a man
  • Places of birth for the couple
  • Birth dates of the couple
  • The number for Tazkira is the number of the man
  • Name or name of father, number of Tazkira, as well as the signature of the Regional Officer, or the village head
  • Name the name of the father, Tazkira number, his signature or that of witness.
  • Name the name of the father, Tazkira number, and the signature of the priest.
  • Name Father’s name, Tazkira numbers, and signatures of two witnesses to the wedding ceremony, as well as two witnesses for the father.

The Document is required Register a Marriage

In accordance with Section in Section 61, Afghan Civil Code, all marriages are required to be recorded.

The wedding ceremony should be reported to the local authorities or village leaders who attend the wedding.

Information that can be useful

In general the event that a marriage is made outside of Afghanistan it is accepted in Afghanistan when it is legally registered in the country where the marriage takes place.

Other uses for the document/certificate

Once the marriage is registered, you can request an original ceremony certificate through the Registrar after the payment of the cost.

Couples who marry in the altar of a religion won’t be able receive a marriage certificate as soon following the ceremony.

External Links

How To Register a Marriage In Afghanistan
How To Register a Marriage In Afghanistan


A lot of countries require non-nationals prior to being able to get married within their territory to show a document issued by their nation of birth to prove they are legally married.

Leave a Comment