How to Registering your Marriage In Ireland

Registering your Marriage In Ireland By Online

To request a copy your marriage certificate , you must make contact with the Registrar of Births or Marriages and Deaths stating exactly the date and time of your wedding and the names of the bride and groom.


  • Fill out the application form and submit it to the counter at the public.

Through Post

  • Fill out the application form and mail the completed application form to
Civil Registration Office,
The Office of the Registrar General
Government Offices,
Convent Road,
Co. Roscommon,

To Fax: Complete the application form and send it at +353 906632999.

Online You can apply online by following the link

Office Locations and Contacts

General Register Office

  • Offices of the Government
  • Convent Road
  • Roscommon
  • Ireland
  • Tel:+353 90 663 2900
  • Locall:1890 25 20 76
  • Fax:+353 90 663 2999



There isn’t a fee to be paid to register the marriage ceremony, or for corrections to errors on the marriage certificate. Charges are imposed for copies of marriage certificates.

The certificate is given for social welfare reasons at a lower cost. A proof of social welfare needs is required, like an official note issued by the Department of Social Protection.

The cost of the certificate are as follows:

    • 10 for a full standard certificate (8 per extra copy)
    • 1 for a complete version, a short copy (for purposes of social welfare)
    • 6 . For an uncertified duplicate of the record within the Register (4 for each additional copy)

20 for an official authenticated copy of a birth certificate (only available at the General Register Office)


  • If you’re getting married in a civil ceremony at an Registry Office or other approved location, you must contact the Registry of Civil Marriages for the district you are planning to be married to find out what to do. If you’re planning to get married through a religious ceremony you must contact the officials of the religion you are considering for advice on how you can proceed.
  • From 5 November 2007 the couple who is planning to marry must provide a written notice of their plans to get married to an Registrar at least three months prior to the planned date of their wedding. The notice can be handed an Registrar of any kind.
  • If there’s no objection to your wedding, the Registrar will issue you with an Marriage Registration Form (MRF) which allows you to get married.
  • The MRF to the person who will be performing the ceremony prior to the ceremony. Following the ceremony, the MRF must be signed by both you and your spouse, your two witnesses, and the person who is solemnising the wedding.


  • If you are married in a civil ceremony the Registrar who formally ordained the wedding will record the marriage using the details on the MRF as soon as is possible following the ceremony. If you are married in a religious ceremony, you must provide the MRF within one calendar month of receiving it from a registered so that the marriage can be recognized. It doesn’t have return to the Registrar who issued it.
  • According to section 50(1) of the Civil Registration Act 2004, If your completed MRF does not reach a Registrar in the time period of 56 days of the date of marriage noted on the MRF the Registrar may issue a notice to you that requires for you to submit the MRF within 14 days from being served with the notification. If you fail to adhere to this rule the Registrar may issue a notice to you that requires you to show up on a specific date to the office of the Registrar (or the other address specified within the notification) with the complete MRF. If you are not able to provide your MRF in person to the Registrar at the time you are scheduled to meet, you will have another 14 days to return the MRF to the Registrar.
  • You can’t obtain your marriage certificate until after the wedding is officially recorded.

Marriage registration outside of Ireland

  • Weddings of Irish citizens who live abroad are recorded in the country in which they happen. It is the General Register Office (central civil repository for records related to births or deaths, as well as ceremonies in Ireland) is not involved to register marriages for Irish citizen(s) which are held abroad, or in providing advice on these weddings. Weddings that are held in other states are not typically recognized in Ireland except for certain circumstances specified under Section 2 of the Marriages Act 1972. This is essentially a marriage that consists solely of a ceremony of religious nature which took place within the diocese of Hautes Pyrnes, France before 1973, between couples whose spouses or one of them was an Irish citizen at the time of the marriage , must have their marriages registered with Ireland. Other marriages that take place outside of Ireland do not have to register in Ireland.
  • The certificate of marriage issued by a foreign country is typically accepted as a valid document for official purposes in Ireland where you must provide proof of your marriage. In the event that your certificate is written in a different language, you have to present an official translation or a translation by an agency that is recognized for translation.

The Information You Need

Information about the person who is who is applying for the certificate

  • The applicants’ surname and forename
  • Full postal address
  • Telephone

The name of the person for whom the marriage certificate is sought

  • 1st and 2nd Party Surname and forename
  • PPS number (if available)
  • Date of marriage
  • Location of Marriage and the designation (if any)

The document is needed

From 5 November 2007 after the introduction part 6 of the Civil Registration Act 2004, the process for registration for weddings is the same regardless of regardless of whether you marry in the Registry Office or by religious ceremony.

External Links

Public service Information Registration of marriage

Part 6 of the Civil Registration Act 2004

Getting married by religious ceremony



Leave a Comment