Obtain a NIS Number In Jamaica By Online
- Visit the NIS office to register for and get your National Insurance Scheme Number (NIS). Please see the “Offices and Contacts” section below for details about NIS.
- You can obtain the registration form from any NIS office, or you can download it from the Ministry of Labour and Social Security’s website (mlss.gov.jm).
- The application can be downloaded directly from this link: Individual registration Link, and for employer registration Link
- Please read and complete the application accordingly
- Send the completed application along with a notarized copy or original of any document that proves your age, such as a passport or birth certificate, to the NIS office
- If your application meets the requirements, the NIS official will confirm it and then enter your details into their system.
- After that, the application will be processed. You will receive a NIS Registration Number.
- If their proof of marriage is the birth certificate, or if they do not have their married name recorded in their passport, then the married women must submit an original or notarized copy of their marriage certificates.
- You can also send an authorisation letter and a third party if you are unable or unwilling to submit your application.
Required Documents For NIS Number
- Please complete the application form
- Certificate of marriage for a married woman
- Authorization letter to third parties
- Certificate of birth
Find Office Locations and Contacts
National Insurance SchemeAddress 14 National Heroes Circle
Kingston 4, Jamaica
Tel: 876-922-8000 0r 888-991-2089
- All individuals who are employed in an insurable occupation are required to register, provided they are 18-70 years old and between 18-65 years old. These people can be classified as self-employed, employed, or voluntary contributors. This applies to both employees and employers.
- Register now for a free account
- NIS registrations are valid for life
Documents for Use
- Within one day
- Last Name/ First Name/ Middle Name(s)/ Maiden Name (if applicable)
- If married, name of spouse
- Date of marriage
- If applicable, submit a Deed Poll
- Date of birth
- Name and Country of Birth
- Tax Registration Number
- Marital Status
- Home Address
- Mailing address (if it is different from your home address)
- Email Address
- Contact Number
- Name of Father/Mother
- Name of the Employer
- Address of the Employer
- Referral Number for Employers
- Passport number/National identity number/Birth certificate number/Deed poll number/Marital Certificate number
- National Insurance Number
- Motives for you to become a voluntary contributer. (for voluntary contributions)
- The nature of the business being operated
- Total number of employees at the establishment.
- Date on which the employer is liable for N.I. S
You will need the document
- All Jamaican workers must register for NIS. It is administered by the National Insurance Act. It provides financial protection for you and your family against income loss due to injury, sickness, retirement, and/or death of the breadwinner, among many other benefits.
- Ministry of Land and Social Security: Link