How to Obtain Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage In Norway

Obtain Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage In Norway By Online

  • There is no need to schedule an appointment at the embassy to request the certificate. Simply bring in and submit the necessary documents and pay the necessary charges. It will issue the certificate the same day that the application is received from the Norwegian Embassy.

It is recommended to follow the guidelines of certain authorities believe are essential. Couples who want to marry outside of the country will require a special form of documentation. In the beginning, couples need to sign a declaration which is processed by the local office, where marriage certificates are issued. It must come from the state in which you reside in Norway. On this form will be noted that there hasn’t been any marriages in recent times.

Because these kinds of documents are required to be used for foreign participation, one requires a local or state-issued registrar’s account or declaration that is authenticated for work abroad.

  • Visit the Civil Registry office where marriages are recorded.
  • Make sure to submit the required documents.
  • Fill out a form and then declare.
  • Make the payment.

Required Documents For Obtain Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage

  • Passport or National Identity Card.
  • A proof of address.
  • If you are divorced or divorced, Decree Absolute.
  • If widowed or divorced, Death Certificate of your previous husband (and the Marriage Certificate).
  • In the event that your address has changed through Deed Poll you must provide proof.
  • The applicable fee.

Office Locations and Contacts

Skatt stFredrikstad
Postboks 1073 Valaskjold
N-1705 Sarpsborg

Get in touch with to the Tax Office (Skatteetaten)

Search by city to locate your closest Tax Office or Tax Collection Office.

Look up Norwegian consular and diplomatic missions in other countries

Official Website Abroad


Norwegian Citizens

As a person of private life typically, you’re not allowed to access any information that doesn’t pertain to you, however there are exceptions. This is also true for private businesses and institutions.


Application fees varies. Contact the Norwegian Diplomatic Mission in the country where you currently reside for further information on the amount, the form of payment and the person to send your payment to.

  • In the Philippines In the Philippines: Application fee of PHP 1600.The fee is PHP 1600.


It is good for four (four) months.

Processing Time

It will issue the certificate the same day that the applicant was notified by Embassy of Norway. Norwegian Embassy.


For non-nationals who wish to get married in a foreign country, you’ll likely have to provide legally valid documentation from your home country which proves that you are single and you are legally married. This is referred to as a ‘Certificate without Impediment and is also known as a ‘Certificate De Coutume’, ‘Certificate de Nulla Osta’, or a “Certificate of Freedom to Wed’.

The certification is given by Royal Norwegian Embassy overseas, provided that an original certificate of no hinderance to marriage (Attest to the bruk of Ekteskapsinngelse for Utenlandsk Rett, earlier known as Ekteskapsattest) is handed out.

The Information You Need

  • Full name
  • Birthplace of the child
  • Birth date and the personal ID number
  • Residence address, if the addressee does not provide evidence of a client relationship that is considered to be personal

Documentation is needed

An Single Status Certification, also known as the No Marriage Affidavit or Certificate of Freedom to Wed or Certificate of Non Impediment is a swearing statement that states that you are able to marry.

Certain foreign countries require an “Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage” to be presented prior to the start of the actual wedding ceremony. The certificate confirms that the applicant is a single person and has the ability to legally marry.

Here are the steps on how to obtain a certification of legal capacity for contracting marriage.

Information that could be helpful

Legalization and Apostille

Certificates and public documents are typically required when traveling abroad. However, before documents is accepted in a different country than the one which issued it, its origin is usually required to be recognized as valid.


Apostille stamps prove the signature of a public official to a paper is authentic and the person signing the document has power and authority mentioned within the documents. But, the stamp cannot guarantee that the content of the document is true.

The Hague Convention of 1961 made this stamp scheme feasible. In the list of countries which have signed the convention, you’ll get contact details for the authorities authorized to use an Apostille.

In Norway It will be Norway’s County Governor who has the authority to issue an apostille for documents.


Certificates and documents from countries that haven’t signed up to Hague Convention of 1961 must be recognized as legal. Contact the authority of foreign origin in the country in question.

The law that governs Norwegian documents is implemented through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Other uses of the document/certificate

It is essential that the Bride & Groom to be married must present from their country of citizenship and individual Certificates of Non impediment, or Certificate of Single Status/Sworn affidavit to prove they are indeed married and single. This is also referred to as an affidavit for single status or a negative marriage statement. This form of documentation can be found by contacting the Bureau of Vital statistics in the city in which they reside.

External Links

  • Norway The official website for the Philippines:

Ministry of Foreign Affairs

The Marriage Act


If you plan to get married in a different country, you might be required to get an official Certificate of Non-Impediment. This document comes in a variety of names, including Declaration of Non-Impediment to Marriage, Statutory Declaration of Single Status Affidavit of Intentional marriage, Statement in-Lieu of Certificate of Non-Impediment for marriage abroad or Certificate de Coutume, a Certificate of Non Impediment or Certificate of Nulla Osta Certificate of Independence to Marry , or just a certificate that allows you to get married.

Also, be aware that a basic Single Status Certificate or Certificate of No Impediment might not be enough for an event to be held in a foreign nation. It could be necessary for the authorities of your country to adhere to these requirements, so ensure you have enough time to process.

  • Certificates might require translation.
  • Certificates might need to be certified or exchanged for an locally acceptable certificate issued by the Embassy or Consulate in the country you plan to get married.
  • Certificates could require legalization i.e. authentically stamped referred to in the field of Apostille.
  • Certificates could require that witnesses sign an Affidavit affirming that you’re allowed to marry and it is attached to the.



Leave a Comment