How to Apply For Change Your Name (Deed Poll) in Hong Kong

Apply For Change Your Name (Deed Poll) in Hong Kong

If you are planning to change your name to Hong Kong, you should prepare your documents ahead of time before you visit an immigration bureau. This includes the preparation of an deed-poll as legal proof of the change in your name. The law in Hong Kong, when you complete the Deed Poll for a change in name, you have to complete the form, sign it, and mark it with a date and get it reviewed by the solicitor. Change of name through using the Deed Poll process is allowed only if you are over 18 years old and have an identification card from the Hong Kong government. Hong Kong.

How do I apply

If you change your name after the deed poll, you’ll be required to change the name on your ID card by following this process:

  • Download the Application Form to apply for Amendment of Registered Particulars of Hong Kong Identity Card (form ROP18).use this URL to download the form ROP18. ROP 18
  • Take all the documents needed required for the application like deed poll or marriage certificate, as well as a travel documents.
  • Fill out the form ROP18 for application and attach the supporting documents.
  • Complete the form and supporting documents at an office of the Registration of Persons Office, via email to or via post or post
    Registration of Persons General and Statistics Unit
    12-F Immigration Tower
    7 Gloucester Road
    Wan Chai, Hong Kong
  • Participate in an interview, and then pay for the cost.
    The Registration of Persons Office will arrange an interview following receipt of your application. They’ll want your original copy of the supporting documents. In the event that your application gets granted then you must apply for a new identity card. It is replaced for the amount of HK$460.
  • Make use of to use your Hong Kong identity card to substitute other documents or names specifics, e.g. bank accounts, passports etc.
  • If the documents cannot be replaced, you must utilize to use your Deed Poll to prove that your names are associated with the same person, i.e. you.


  • If you are not permanent residents, you need to change the name on your passport prior to applying for a change to you HKID card.
  • Postage items that are not properly paid are not acceptable to Immigration Department. Immigration Department. To ensure proper delivery of your mail items, ensure that your mail items are accompanied by enough postage and have a the return address prior to posting. For more information, click here. See Link

Required Documents For Change Your Name

Documents related to your name change

  • Deed’s poll.
  • Marriage certificate.
  • Travel document.
  • Original ID

Office Locations and Contacts

Immigration Headquarters Hong KongWan Chai, Hong Kong
+852 2824 6111


Apply by email at

Post your application to the address below:

Registration of Persons General and Statistics Unit
12-F Immigration Tower
7 Gloucester Road
Wan Chai, Hong Kong

What are all the Eligibility

  • It is required to be aged 18 years old or over to take part in an election deed.
  • There are rules that apply to changing the name of a child. Parents with right to custody of the child may alter the child’s name. But, if an individual child wants to change their name the father must agree to the change by signing the deed poll.


Applications differ, that’s why you select an attorney firm to help you with the process of forming your deed pool, however the charges for ID card replacement at the immigration office are the amount of HK$460.


If you want to change your name again, you’ll need to set up an deed pool.

Documents to Utilize

Formulary for application to Amendment of Registered Particulars of Hong Kong Identity Card : (form ROP18)


  • Create an Deed Poll (formal name of a Change of Name Deed).
  • You visit the Immigration Department in Hong Kong (Address: Wanchai Immigration Tower) to get a new Hong Kong identity card.
  • The card you use is the Hong Kong identity card to substitute other documents or specifics, e.g. bank accounts, passports etc.
  • In the case of documents that can’t be replaced, you should utilize an Deed Poll to prove that the names are owned by the same person, i.e. you.

The Information You Need

  • Your name appears on the birth certificate or on documents pertaining to citizenship or immigration.
  • The full name that you are trying to change (if you’re switching your names).
  • Birth date and location
  • Details about marital status and other details
  • Residences for the at least three months
  • Address for correspondence

The Document is required

A deed poll is required to request or alter official documents such as the Hong Kong identity card, driving licence, or passport.

Information that could be helpful

Deed Poll is a Deed Poll is a legal document that legally binds the person signing it to follow a specific procedure as laid out in the Deed Poll document. It is a type of legal contract however it is different from contracts that are legal that are signed by two parties or more as it is only applicable to the person who signs that document with the help of witnesses. In the majority of cases the case of the Deed Poll for a change of name includes three declarations. These are:

  • You can no longer use your previous name,
  • Only use your new name at all times
  • It is mandatory for all people to be addressed to you using your name as of today only.

Other uses for the document/certificate

You might want for a change in your personal name based on:

  • You just got married
  • You’ve been divorced
  • If you just want to make a change
  • If adoption is the case,

External Links

Government of Hong Kong

Government Agencies

Judiciary and Hong Kong laws. Hong Kong


  1. How to go about changing your name depends on the category you fall into. Change your name following divorce or marriage is an easy process, whereas changing your name just because’ may require a bit more effort, but is still fairly straightforward and much easier than it was in the past.
  2. If you want to modify your personal name, you must submit an application to your nearest Superior Court that details the reasons why you’d like to change your name. If the court accepts the petition, you’ll be required to update you Social Security card, driver’s license, and passport.
  3. Once you’ve completed your Deed Poll process to change your name, you’ll must update your new name on your ID card.



Leave a Comment