How to Apply for Maintenance Grant In United Kingdom

Apply for Maintenance Grant In United Kingdom By Online

The process for applying for a scholarship varies for students who are applying for admission from England (Student Finance England), Scotland (Students Awards Agency for Scotland), Wales (Student Finance Wales) as well as Northern Ireland (Student Finance Northern Ireland).

For those living on those living in the Channel Islands (Jersey, Guernsey) or Isle of Man, get contact with the authority responsible for education.

To assist you in asking the process to apply for maintenance grants in your country , you can make contact using the details below.

Office Locations and Contacts


Students Finance EnglandPO Box 210
Darlington DL1 9HJ

Telephone: 0300 100 0607
Monday through Friday from 8am until 8pm
On Saturdays and Sundays, 9am-4pm

Textphone: 0300 100 0622
Monday through Friday 8am to 4pm


The Student Awards Agency for Scotland
Saughton House
Broomhouse Drive
EH11 3UT

The number to dial is based on your class kind or the location your studying. Contact numbers – details




Student Finance Wales
Contact 0300 200 4050
Minicom 0300 100 1693

The hours of operation are:
Monday through Friday, 8am until 8pm
Saturday 9am – 1pm
Sundays Closed on Sundays

PO Box 211
Llandudno Junction,
LL30 9FU


Northern Ireland

Student Finance Northern Ireland

Telephone inquiries

  • Phone: 0300 100 0077
  • Minicom 0300 100 0625 You must connect to the Minicom device to utilize this service.

Hours of operation
Monday through Friday – 8.00 am until 8.00 pm
Saturday and Sunday Saturday and Sunday 9.00 am until 4.00 pm


Channel Islands


Student Finance
Phone: 01534 449450
Fax: 01534 447420

Monday through Friday 8.30am until 4.30pm

Careers Jersey
Philip Le Feuvre House
La Motte Street
St Helier



Education Department
Grange Road
St Peter Port
Channel Islands

Tel: +44 01481 733000
Fax: +44 714475


Isle of Man

Education and Children

Head Office:
Hamilton House
Peel Road
Isle of Man

Telephone: +44 1624-685808 and +441624 693838



Maintenance Grants are available only to full-time UK students. Part-time or EU students aren’t eligible.

Your qualification for student finance depends on:

Your college or university: Must be in the UK and be either:

  • publically supported (paid through the federal government) or
  • private-sectorally funded, but offering individual courses that are funded by the public.

Course: The course must be available in the UK and include any of these:

  • a first degree, eg BA, BSc or BEd
  • an Associate Degree
  • A Certificate of Higher Education
  • A Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE)
  • A Higher National Certificate (HNC)
  • A Higher National Diploma (HND)
  • A Postgraduate Certificate of Education (PGCE)
  • Initial Teacher Training

Be sure to get in touch with your institution or university to inquire if your course is recognized.

If you’ve previously completed in a higher-education course prior to: Generally, youll only receive student loan for your first higher education degree. This applies even if your prior course was funded by yourself.

However, you could receive a small amount of money it is the case, for instance:

  • you change course
  • you quit your course, and decide to return
  • you are completing your higher education degree such as you’ve completed an HNC, an HND or Foundation Degree, and you want to pursue an honours degree

The age you are: Theres no upper age limit on tuition fees. Loans and grants.

Your residency or nationality status:

  • Candidates must be UK national or possess an established status (no limitations on the length of time you are allowed to remain)
  • Typically, I live in England
  • Have lived in the UK in the UK, in the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for three years prior to beginning their course.

Non-UK citizens must have established status by the day that begins the academic year that begins the course. This could be on 1 September 1 January 1, April, or 1 July.

You may still be eligible to apply if:

  • An EU citizen, or a family member of one of them;
  • an asylum seeker or an individual who is a relative of one
  • who is under Humanitarian Protection, or a close relative of someone covered by Humanitarian Protection;
  • an EEA/Swiss worker or a family member of one of them;
  • the child of the child of a Swiss national the child of a Swiss national
  • the child of the son of a Turkish worker.

If you live in the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man you are not eligible to apply for Student Finance England. It is recommended to contact the authority responsible for education on your island to inquire about student loans.


Maintenance Grant to cover expenses related to living The applicants might be asked to provide the details of their household income as well as the course beginning date. The grant is deposited into your bank account at beginning of the course. It is not required to repay it however any money you receive will be deducted from the amount of maintenance loan you could obtain.

Required Document For Apply for Maintenance Grant

The Maintenance Grant assists students to pay for living expenses during the entire academic year. The grant is distributed in three installments over the course of the year.

Here is a guideline for students to apply for the Maintenance Grant.

External Links

  • GOV.UK:
  • Student financial guides for 2015-2016:



Leave a Comment