Apply for NIS Individual Registration under National Insurance Scheme In Jamaica By Yourself
- To sign up for the National Insurance Scheme (NIS) as an individual You must go to the NIS office within the Ministry of Labour and Social Security (MLSS). Check out the NIS contact information under the “Office Locations &Contacts”section below and the MLSS contact details by clicking here: Link
- Download your NIS Individual Registration forms at one of NIS Offices or download it via the MLSS website using the following link: Link (Select “NIS Individual Registration” to download the form)
- Fill out and read the registration form according to the instructions.
- Attach the supporting documents required to the application form , as listed on the “Required Documents” section.
- Visit your local NIS Office in the parish you reside and send the application with all the required information for the NIS representative at the front desk.
- A NIS official will review the application for compliance with the standard required and input your information into their system to process your application.
- The application will then get processed, and then you’ll be in the NIS
- After completing the registration you will receive your personal NIS registration number.
- The married woman must also provide the original or notarized version of the marriage document, if their proof of identity is a birth certificate or if the name of their marriage is not listed within their passport.
- If you’re not able to complete the application on your own then you can ask an uninvolved third party an authorization letter that allows them to take over your application for you.
Required Documents For Apply for NIS Individual Registration under National Insurance Scheme
- Complete the application form
- Original document that proves the age of your child e.g. birth certificate or passport
- A valid photo identification
- Certificate of marriage (if appropriate)
- Deed poll (If appropriate)
- Authorization letter to a third-party applicant
Office Locations and Contacts
National Insurance SchemeAddress:14 National Heroes Circle Kingston 4 Jamaica
Tel: 876-922-8000 0r 888-991-2089
Website: [www.mlss.gov.jm Link]
NIS Office of the Parish: Link
Everyone who is engaged in insurable work are eligible to apply under the age limit of 18-70 years for males, and 18-65 yrs. for females.
Registration is free
NIS registration is valid for life. NIS certificate is valid for a lifetime
Documents to Utilize
Registering as an Individual: Link
The application will be processed within a single day.
The individuals who fall under NIS are classified as
- Employed People
- Self-employed People
- Voluntary Contributors
The Information You Need
- Last Name/ First Name/ Middle Name(s)/ Maiden Name (if applicable)
- Name of spouse (if married)
- Date of the wedding
- Date of Birth
- Birthplace and State of Birth
- Tax Registration Number
- Marital Status
- Home Address
- Mailing Address (if different from the home address)
- E-mail Address
- Contact Number(s)
- Father’s/ Mother’s Name
- Name of the employer
- Address of the Employer
- Employer’s Reference Number
- National identity number/Passport number/Birth Certificate number/Deed poll number/Marriage Certificate number
The document is needed
NIS registration is required for everyone employed who work in Jamaica.It is managed under the National Insurance Act and offers an insurance policy that protects your family and you from losses in income that results from injuries at work, illness or retirement, and/or the dying of the breadwinner in addition to other benefits.
Ministry of Land and Social Security: Link