How To Change Your Name (Deed Poll) In Australia

How To Change Your Name (Deed Poll) In Australia

There’s nothing that can stop anyone from adopting a new name, without having to go through the formal process of changing their name. This is known as name by association. you can use whatever name you want regardless of what’s recorded on the birth certificate. It is possible to conduct day-to-day business such as opening an account at a bank or getting a driver’s license, for instance, will be difficult to do in your new name if the name isn’t legally recognized. The process of switching your identity and receiving the certificate to prove the new name (and thus making your day-to-day business significantly more efficient!) is a straightforward and straightforward procedure that doesn’t cost much.

Registration procedure

On April 1st, 1996, on April 1, 1996, the Registry took over the responsibility of registering any names changes in NSW. Changes of name must be recorded in accordance with the provisions included in the Part 5 section of Births, Deaths and Marriages Registration Act 1995.

The Land Titles Office no longer issuing Deeds Poll or Instruments Evidencing the change of name.

Legally, a person is able to change their name legally. If a person changes their name, or uses an alternative or different name in the hope of committing in a fraudulent manner, or with the intention to be deceitful or in any other manner that is in violation of legal requirements, they could be liable to criminal prosecution.

One can choose to adopt a new name, without formal steps. Under the common law level it is not possible to alter their name until they have been known and accepted their new title. The Registry’s law states that a name changes once it has been registered.

Sometimes, people are required to show proof of changes in their name (for instance, to prove identity or for obtaining an identity card). In these instances, it is possible to record a new name or change in their name by recording an alteration of name with the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

The Six Steps You Should Take to Change Your Name

The information below is intended for normal name changes only. If you’re changing your name due to of divorce or marriage the procedure is different.

  • Find out if you’re qualified to alter your address your state or territory.
  • Take your time when making a name change choice; make sure that you really do want the change of your last name and also what the new name will be.
  • Print out an application to record a change in names form (included inside the box) Complete it, and then have it signed by a witness when appropriate.
  • Make sure you have the appropriate identification documents.
  • If you’re applying via mail, make arrangements for your identity document to be authenticated.
  • Apply online or go to at the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages to fill out your application along with the fee prescribed.
  • Once you’ve obtained your change Name Certificate, or Change of Name Certificate, begin changing your name with the organizations.

Documents that are required Change Your Name (Deed Poll)

  • Certificate of criminal record
  • Fill out the application form
  • Applications addressed to the Registrar
  • Identification Card (original and photocopie)

Office Locations and Contacts

Deaths and births, and marriage registries

What Are All The Eligibility

Anyone who is able to live in Australia permanently and has not changed their name in the last 12 months may alter their names. If you’re not changing your name because of divorce or marriage then you’ll need to make an application to the State’s Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages to change your name. Every state requires that you are either born in the state or resided in the state for at least three months (sometimes the proof of residence will be required).


The $174 cost covers the registration of the change of name as well as the contract for an Standard Certificate.


If you’re not changing your name because of divorce or marriage You can change your name one time each 12 months. Some states have regulations regarding how often you are permitted to modify your address.

Deed polls have been ceased to be utilized to change name in Australia. Name changes are now handled through the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages within your state or territory.

The Information You Need

  • Your name is listed on your birth certificate, citizenship or immigration documents.
  • The full name that you are applying to change (if you’re making a change to your identity).
  • Birth date and location
  • Details about marital status and other details
  • Residences for the past three months
  • Address for correspondence

Documentation is needed

Many people choose to change their names for various reasons. Maybe you’d like to alter names, dislike the name your parents chose for you and you’d like to eliminate the middle initial, are looking to eliminate any family affiliations or perhaps you simply would like to make a change! You are legally able to change your name to your first and middle name or surname or any combination of them.

Information that can be useful

If you’re applying for the state’s Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages to change your name (that means your name change isn’t related to divorce or marriage) Your change of name application could be denied if:

  • The name you intend to use is offensive, is too long, contains symbols that have no any significance in phonetics, or is in conflict with the public’s interest.
  • You can’t provide sufficient documentation to prove your identity.
  • You’ve recently changed names in the last 12 months.
  • There is no way to be an Australian citizen or permanent resident;
  • You are not a regular citizen of the state that you’ve applied for or
  • Authorities suspect that you may be involved in fraud or illegal actions.

Other uses for the Document/Certificate

You might want for a change in your personal name based on:

  • You’ve just been married
  • You’ve been divorced
  • If you just want to make a change

External Links

Changing Your Name

How To Change Your Name (Deed Poll) In Australia
How To Change Your Name (Deed Poll) In Australia

NSW Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages

VIC Register of Births, Deaths, and marriages

Registration of births and deaths in QLD, Deaths, and marriages

TAS Register of Births, Deaths and marriages

WA Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages

Registration of births and deaths in the SA Register, Deaths and Marriages

The NT Registry of Births, Deaths, and marriages

ACT Register of Births, Deaths and Marriages


Many newlyweds opt to keep their name the same or even change their names. In this situation it is not necessary to notify anyone in writing that you’ve been married and are planning to continue to use your name.

The name you change after gender re-assignment is identical, however, you must meet additional conditions to changing the gender of your record in your birth certificates as well as other documents. This site does not address gender changes.

Leave a Comment