How To Change Your Name (Deed Poll) In Austria
- Gather all the required documents for the application to change your name.
- Send in your application with the other required documents.
- When the new name, or surname has been accepted then you are able to proceed with the process of registering the new surname.
Documents that are required Change Your Name (Deed Poll)
- In the form of an application or in a formal written request
- Birth certificate
- Certificate of marriage (s) or partnership certificate (s)
- Divorce or dissolution resolution (s) that is legal force-confirmed
- Evidence of citizenship
- Official photo identification
Office Locations and Contacts
Vienna Registry Offices20 Dresdner Strae 93
Phone: +43 1 4000-35089
Fax: +43 1 4000-99-35070
Registry Offices in Austria in the Major Capital Cities
What Are All The Eligibility
- Austrian citizens / Austrian citizens,
- People who are stateless or have unknown nationality who reside in Austria and
- Refugees who are covered by the Convention relating to the Status of Refugees and the Protocol Relating to the Status of Refugees residing or ordinarily living in Austria are entitled to change the Family name and First Name.
If the reason is:
For the application for the following: 14,30
Additionally, you can apply in various amounts that aren’t yet charged for any additional fee for applications; the charge on marriage for a supplement is in the case of example, up to 3.90 euros
Without any justification (“Desired name”):
For the application for the following: 14,30
In addition, they can apply in various amounts that aren’t yet billed for supplements for fee for applications; the charge for marriage in addition to the application fee can amount in the case of example, up to 3.90 euros
Total grant amount: 545.60 ( 382.60 Federal fees plus 135 Euro Federal administrative fee)
If you return in the German spelling of the name, if the person previously held this name – the sum is 437.10 ( 382.60 54.50 charge and federal federal administrative fees)
The change of name is possible by the district administrative authority of residence, or at the place of the habitual residence, or at the final place of residence or the place of habitual residence in Austria:
- The administration of the district
- In Statutarstdten: Municipal
- in Vienna: Municipal Department 26 (also for those who have never were a resident, or at all living in Austria)
For citizens of foreign countries changing their name is will be governed by the laws of their state of residence. In Austria name changes are only permitted in the event that the person is not a stateless person, the nationality is not known or if the person has an obligation to have a permanent residence in Austria or are refugees under Austrian law. Convention relating to the Status of Refugees and the Protocol Relating to the Status of Refugees who are residents or reside in Austria.
- Family Name/Surname
- Name of the first name (s)
- Address of residence
- Place and date of birth
- Nationality (or statelessness, unresolved citizenship or refugee status) of the applicant/ the applicant
- The reasons behind why the alteration of the family name/ surname, or the first name is sought
- Surname/Last Name and/or First Name (s) and/or the approval of their respective names is sought where necessary the first Name (s) that is to be removed (s) and their way of doing so to be modified
- Signed by the applicant the applicant’s legal guardian/legal representative, in the event that the applicant the applicant is limited in their legal capacity
The Document is required Change Your Name (Deed Poll)
If you use or are planning to use an alternative name to the name you registered There exists no lawful requirement to change your name officially. However, it is advised to change your name in a formal manner to be able to identify yourself and to prove the name change.
Name change is generally the legal action of the person who is adopting the name of a different person from the name they had at birth, wedding or adoption. The procedure and the ease of changing names differ across areas.
Information that can be useful
Legal reasons to change the name of the first
The reason for changing the initial name of one of the listed motives must be:
- The name of the first person is to be a bit snarky or offensive
- The first name of the former is difficult to pronounce or difficult to write.
- The applicant or the applicant is a foreigner and would like an initial name, which helps in the identification of their national him
- The request for the name change must be made within two years of the acquiring of Austrian citizenship.
- The applicant/applicant plans to have a first name. She or he has not come up with from good will, but is qualified to do so.
- The applicant / applicant is planning to use a first name, and they have acted under before in laws
- The first and last names as well as the date of birth of the applicant/the applicant will be in agreement with the data of a different person, and are in agreement that there could be confusion
- The person who have a different country of citizenship other than Austrian citizenship, is seeking a first name, she or is already legally entitled to other personal status, as long as the it is the intention to take the same name following the two rights to home.
- The applicant applicant has the ability to demonstrate that changing the name is necessary in order to prevent unfair negative effects in terms of economics or in social interactions and that the disadvantages can’t be avoided through other methods.
- The applicant applicant is seeking for different reasons to use a alternative identity (“Desired Name”)
- The adopted child of a minor will be given a different name or other names to him when he was born.
- The request for a modification of your name has to be submitted within two years following adoption or upon the date of the acquisition of Austrian citizenship
- The applicant/applicant plans to obtain a standing in an exclusive relationship with the nuns of the religious community name, or to end the standing of a special relationship with the prior religious community’s name once they have changed his or her religion
- The application must be submitted within two years from the alteration of religion.
- The first name doesn’t coincide with the gender of the applicant/ the applicant
Other uses for the document/certificate
You may wish for a change in your personal name based on:
- You just got married
- You’ve been divorced
- If you just want to make a change
The reasons behind the refusal of the request to change names
A name change cannot be permitted If
- The change in surname could permit a circumvention of laws,
- the name or the family name that is requested is not used to denote a outrageous, offensive, or identifying individuals in Germany,
- the family name is legally operated by a different person that has an legitimate role in keeping the person who is applying or the one who is the person who is the leader with the family’s name (with exceptions as provided by the law),
- The family that was requested is comprised of many names (with the exceptions allowed by the law),
- This would result in the change to the family name, or the name of the first to ensure that there is no confusion when a different person is entered,
- the proposal to amend the family name or first name to reflect the welfare of the subject is not necessarily beneficial for the person who owns it. is harmful,
- The first name you request is not available or initial name is not the applicant’s sex or the applicant fails to meet the requirements,
- the applicant or applicant of the name change or the family member who requested or he who has received an identity change due to him/herself asking for a to make a claim within the last 10 years (with the exceptions permitted by the law).