Change Your Name (Deed Poll) In Bermuda By Online
The method you use for changing your name depends on which category you fall into. The process of changing your name after divorce or marriage is an easy process, while changing your name simply because’ may require a little more effort, however it isn’t difficult and much more simple than it was previously.
If you want to modify your personal name, you must submit an application to your nearest Superior Court that details the reasons for changing your name. If the court accepts your petition, it will have to change you Social Security card, driver’s license, and passport.
- Get all the necessary documents when the application to change your name.
- Complete your application and include the other required documents.
- If the new name or surname has been accepted then you are able to proceed with registration of the new surname.
Required Documents For Change Your Name (Deed Poll)
- Certificate of criminal record
- Demand addressed at the Ministry of Justice
- The application should be addressed to the Registrar.
- Identification Card (original and photocopie)
Office Locations and Contacts
The Registry General
1st floor Government Administration Building
30 Parliament Street,
Hamilton HM 12
Please contact to the Registry General
Attorney General and Minister of Legal Affairs
1st Floor, Global House
43 Church Street
Many people choose to change their names due to various reasons. Perhaps you want to alter how you spell your name or you do not like the name that your parents chose for you, you’d like to eliminate the middle initial, would like to get rid of any family connections or you need to change your name! It is legal to change your name to your first as well as your middle name, surname or middle name or any combination of them.
While there is no legal procedure to change your name, you may need proof of changing your name. You cannot, however, alter the information in your birth certificates only in certain situations.
After you’ve decided that you want to alter your personal name you are able to use your new name for any purpose including publicizing marriage prohibitions, legal actions and even obtaining or altering the information on your driving permit or passport.
There is no any legal proof to prove that you’ve switched your names, as long as you can prove that you are able to be identified by the new name you have chosen. However, there are certain instances, like seeking a passport where additional proof of the change in name is required. The proof required is contingent on the reason the evidence is required. It could include:
- A note from a responsible person
- A public announcement
- a statutory declaration
- a deed poll.
- Your name is listed on the birth certificate or on documents of citizenship or immigration.
- The full name that you are trying to change (if you’re making a change to your identity).
- Place and date of birth
- Details about marital status and other details
- The places of residence for the past three months
- Address for correspondence
Documentation is needed
If you have or are planning to use another name than the name you registered There are no laws that require to change your name officially. It is recommended to change your name legally in order to prove your identity and as proof of the name change.
Name change is generally the legal action of an individual who adopts an identity that is different from the name they had at birth either through marriage or adoption. The procedure and the ease of changing names differ in different the jurisdictions.
Information that could be helpful
Generally speaking, you are able to legally change the name of your family to any name you’d like to. However, there are some exceptions however:
- It is not possible to change your name in order to get rid of debts or to avoid criminal responsibility.
- It is not possible to change your name to commit an act of crime.
- You shouldn’t alter your name in order to deceive. This typically involves using the name of a celebrity. Courts generally do not permit this, unless there is an argument that proves not connected to the celebrity or the use of their name.
- It is not advisable to choose a name that is confusing because it has punctuation marks or numerals. But, certain judges have allowed individuals to spell out numbers, such as “Seven” in place of “7”.
- It is not possible to choose names that could be intimidating people, offend or be considered inappropriate.
- It is impossible to select a racial insult.
Other uses for the document/certificate
You might be able you to alter your name due to:
- You’ve just been married
- You’ve been divorced
- If you just want to make a change
Most important you can do to legally alter the name of your business is begin using the new name. Introduce yourself with the new identity, complete forms and applications with the new address, and tell all your family members and friends to speak to you under your new name. Also, inform your employer and/or school of your new name.
If you want to use an alternative name, you may alter your identity at any point and only if you do not plan to deceive or fraudulently deceive someone else. There is no legal process that you must follow to change your name. It is as simple as registering your new identity. You can change your first name or surname, or add names, or change the names you have already used.