How To Change Your Name (Deed Poll) In Greenland
Contact your parish If you would like to make a change:
- First name (s)
- or you have one of your parents’ names in your middle or surname
Remember to take:
- The baptismal or name certificate.
At the church office complete an application.
Then , you must take your baptismal certificate or name certificate along with the application form to the parish office in which you were born or have been baptized.
It is recommended to contact the wedding authority in the area you were been married if you wish to
- Use your spouse’s name or
- If you’d like to change your name to the one you used prior to the wedding ceremony
The authority for weddings could be the municipal or prstegldet:
- If you are married in a church? If so, get in touch with your parish’s office from your town.
- If you are getting married in the municipal office or at a local church? If so, please contact the local officials
High Commissioner for Greenland
Contact the high commissioner of Greenland in the event that you would like to change your surname or middle name. For instance. If you’re looking to
- Your parents, care of grandparents, parents, or great-grandparents’ names
- a brand new surname or
- the surnames of your spouse and you separated by the punctuation mark
Documents that are required Change Your Name (Deed Poll)
- Certificate of criminal record
- Demand addressed at the Ministry of Justice
- Applications addressed to the Registrar
- Identification Card (original and photocopies)
Office Locations and Contacts
Ministry of Education, Culture, Research and ChurchPostboks 1029
Tlf: (+299) 34 50 00
Ministry of Nature, Environment and Justice
Imaneq 1A – 801
Tel: (+299) 345000
Fax: (+299) 345410
What Are All The Eligibility
Are you looking to change your name? You must be aware of the name you want to be known as. You are only able to change your name to one of the names that have been approved. There is an approved list of Danish names on the family agency’s site. On the website of the Language Board you can purchase the list of approved Greenlandic names.
The authority that will handle your request for a change in name will depend on whether you’d like to change your initial or middle name, or your last name.
- Your name appears on the birth certificate or on documents of citizenship or immigration.
- The full name you’re applying to change (if you’re making a change to your identity).
- Birth date and location
- Details about marital status and other details
- Residences for the at least three months
- Address for correspondence
Need to have the Document
- If you have or are planning to use another name than the name you registered there are no laws that require to change your name officially. However, it is recommended to change your name in a formal manner to be able to identify yourself and to prove the name change.
- Name change typically refers to the legal process by the person who is adopting the name of a different person to their birth name or marriage. The process and procedure for the name change differs across areas.
Information that can be useful
Generally speaking, you are able to legally change your identity to any name you’d like to. There are a few exceptions, however:
- You shouldn’t change your name in order to get rid of debts or cover yourself from criminal responsibility.
- It is not possible to change your name to commit an offense.
- It is not possible to change your name to deceive. It is usually done by taking the name of someone famous. The courts generally don’t allow this, unless there’s an argument that proves not directly related to the person who is famous or the usage of his or her name.
- It’s not possible to pick an uninformed name that has punctuation marks or numerals. But, certain judges have allowed individuals to spell out numbers, such as “Seven” in place of “7”.
- You shouldn’t pick the name that is likely to frighten or offend anyone or be considered to be obscene.
- You cannot pick a racial slur.
Other uses for the document/certificate
You may wish you to alter your name based on:
- You just got married
- You’ve been divorced
- If you just want to make a change
- If adoption is the case,
- The method you use for changing your name depends on the category you fall into. Change your name following divorce or marriage is an easy process, whereas changing your name simply because’ takes a bit more effort, however it is still very simple and much more simple than it was in the past.
- If you want to modify your personal name, you must submit an application to your nearest Superior Court that details the reasons for changing your name. If the court accepts the petition, you’ll have to change the information on your Social Security card, driver’s license, and passport.