Transfer of a Liquor License or Permit In Botswana By Online
- Candidates should visit the Town/District Council’s Commercial office close to your home to complete the transfer application procedure (see the address and contact information below|)}.
- You can collect the Application form for the transfer of a Licencefrom the Town/District Council’s Commercial office front desk, or follow this link to download the the form.
- Send the completed form together with supporting documents listed under the required document section below to the representative at the Town/District Council’s Commercial office.
- The official will verify that all required documents and information have been supplied and that the applications meet the criteria for selection After that, applicants will receive an acknowledgment receipt.
- The application will be sent on to the Liquor Control Authority for assessment as well as processing and consideration which takes about 30 working days.
- Candidates will be informed about the decision made on their application via an SMS, mail or a telephone call.
- If the transfer of the liquor license is approved the licence will be available for the user to withdraw in the Town/District Council commercial office where the application was made after payment of the applicable license fees , and in exchange for the applicant’s national identity card and acknowledgement slip.
Required Documents For Transfer of a Liquor License or Permit
- A certified copy of a valid National Identity Card (Omang) for shareholders, owners, and directors that are residents of the country.
- The passport must be certified as a copy or work permit, as well as residence permit for shareholders, owners or directors who aren’t citizens.
- The original copy or certified copy of the physical planner’s report confirming zoning of the land on which activities will be conducted. The physical planners work for District Council. District Council and should be appointed by the applicants to verify the zoning.
- Original or verified copy of an report on environmental health for the premises of the business that is in question. The report should be prepared with the help of health officers employed by District Council and the applicant must schedule the health inspector to inspect.
- The most recent version of the annual return form is available at the Registrar of Companies and Intellectual Property.
Office Locations and Contacts
Ministry of Trade and Industry
Department of Trade and Consumer Affairs
The plot is 54380. Central Business District (CBD), Gaborone
Address for postage:
Private Bag 00252
Tel: (267) 3911233
Fax: (267) 397523
All Local Authorities (Town/District Councils Commercial offices) across the nation Contact details: : Link
Hours of operation: 07:30 to 12:45 and 1345-16:30 from Monday to Friday, with the exception of public holidays.
The transfer of the alcohol license/permit may occur in the following circumstances when:
- A licensee must be a Botswana citizen or a wholly owned business of Botswana that holds a reserved licence to another citizen, or wholly owned company owned by a citizen;
- the license is issued with respect to specific premises, or to other property inside the district city or town;
- the licensee is dead the licensee has passed away, either to his heirs or the beneficiary of his death;
- the licensee is declared insolvent or has sold his assets, in the interest of his creditors to his trustees, and
- The licensee is subject to any legal disability, as well as the legal representative of his.
- Transfer License Fee of BWP100.00.
- This license lasts for one (1) year, and is renewable every year thereafter.
Documents to Utilize
- Link Application form
- The processing time for the application is in thirty (30) day working hours.
- The full name of the licensee currently in use
- The full name of the individual to whom the license is transferred to
- The full legal name registered with the company is the company
- Motives behind the transfer
- New business address (in case of change in address of operation)
- Contact details
- Identification document number
- Information about the business registration
- Current liquor License details
- The applicant’s declaration
Documentation is needed
Transfer of a licence to a liquor store is the procedure of re-issuing the licence to a different person or company than the original owner (person/company) of the licence from Liquor Control Authority. Liquor Control Authority
Information that could be helpful
Ref: LIQUOR ACT : Link
Government Service Portal:Link