How to Correct or Update Errors on Marriage Record In Jamaica

Correct or Update Errors on Marriage Record In Jamaica By Yourself

  1. You or your declarant can correct errors in a marriage record by visiting the Registrar General Department office. Please view the RGD contact details, location map, and RGD Branch contacts via this link Link.
  2. You can either obtain the application form to correct an error in a marriage record at the RGD office, or you can download it directly from this link: Link
  3. Please read the instructions carefully and complete the form in accordance with the instructions. The dates must be signed by the Notary Public/J.P. The date you sign must match the Declarant’s or your signature. If errors are made while filling out the form, they must be crossed out by the Notary Public or J.P.
  4. Next, prepare all required documents and attach them with the application form
  5. Pay the application fee at the RGD office closest to you, depending on the service that you are applying for, e.g., express or normal.
  6. Submit the completed application to the RGD official at service desk for processing and verification. Before processing your application, a declareant must be interviewed by the RGD.
  7. After a successful application, RGD will process the request and amend your marriage record

Apply Online

  1. You can fill out the online application to correct an error in a marriage record by visiting the RGD website at Link.
  2. Scroll down to the bottom of the website page and click on “Correction of Error”. To view a PDF version of the forms, open the dropbox and choose “Marriage”.
  3. To download the indemnity form, click on “Indemnity Form”. The complete indemnity form is required for any application to rectify an error in a marriage record.
  4. To access the online application form, click “APPLY NOW!” after you have completed the indemnity forms.
  5. Fill out all required fields and click “Submit Application”.
  6. After submitting your application successfully, you will need to submit all required supporting documents to RGD. This includes the complete indemnity forms and payment of the application fee.
  7. RGD will then verify and process your application, and send it to you at the pick-up location that you have chosen while filling out the online form.
  8. Take the correct marriage record to the location.

Required Documents For Correct or Update Errors on Marriage Record

Date of marriage

  • Invitation card
  • If applicable, a bridal copy
  • Program manifest
  • A letter from the church where it was performed

To use for Bride or Groom’s name or age

  • Birth certificate for the bride
  • Groom’s certificate of birth

For the resident of the Bride or Groom

  • Valid Identification document
  • Utility bill

To be used as a bride’s or groom’s father’s name

  • Birth Certificate for the Bride
  • Birth Certificate for the Bride’s Father
  • Groom’s Certificate of Birth
  • Groom’s father’s birth certificate
  • Order of the Court (where applicable).

To indicate the occupation of the bride or groom

  • Valid identification such as: Passport indicating occupation at time of marriage or work identification card
  • Letter of employment

Mandatory documents

  • Form of indemnity
  • Identification document

Find Office Locations and Contacts

Department of the Registrar GeneralTwickenham, St. Catherine
Telephone: 876-749-0550
Website: Link
Contact information and location map: Link
Branch details: Link

Other Offices

SAVANNA–LA-MAR Regional Office
Address: 7 1/2 Lewis Street
Telephone: 955-9265 / 955-9002
Fax: 918-3522

MONTEGO BAY Regional Office
Address: 22A 1/2 Humber Avenue (Natural Mystic Plaza).
Telephone: 971-8556 – 8
Fax: 940-3836
Marriage Unit: 971-7387

PORT ANTONIO Regional Office
Address: 19 West Palm Ave
Telephone: 715-5226 / 715-5273
Fax: 715-5150

SANTA CRUZ Regional Office
Address: 3 Jewel Close
Telephone: 966-9096 / 966-9970
Fax: 966-3952

MANDEVILLE Regional office
Address: Shop# G12, 24 Hargreaves Avenue
Telephone: 625-1719-21 / 625-2028-9
Fax: 625-1722

ST. ANNS BAY Regional Office
Address: 5 Windsor Road
Telephone: 794-9550-2
Fax: 794-9506

KINGSTON Regional office
Address: 40 Duke Street Kingston
Telephone: 922-0010-12 / 922-0014 / 922-0036 / 922-0018
Fax: 922-9156

PORTMORE Regional Office
Address: West Trade Way Big Buy Plaza
Shop# 1-2Telephone: 619-1260/749-0550

MAY PEN Regional Office
Address: 10-12 Bryants Crescent, May Pen Clarendon
Telephone: 902-2938
Fax: 986-9101


  • If an error occurred while recording a marriage record, all Jamaican marriages are eligible for correction


  • Normal service: $4,500 (4-6 weeks)
  • Express Service: $6,500 (7-10 Working Days)
  • Additional copies are available at a cost of $500 per copy.


  • A marriage certificate is valid for life unless it is null and void as a result of a court order

Documents for Use

  • Application form: Link

Processing Time

  • Normal service takes between 4 and 6 weeks to process
  • Express service takes 7-10 days to process


  • All signatures must be identical to the ID
  • For processing an application, ID must be provided by the Applicant and Declarant.
  • All errors must be crossed out, and all signatures JP/Notary Public must be initialed.
  • All information must be written clearly
  • Except for those issued by Registrar General’s Departments, all photocopied IDs must be certified by J.P./Notary Public.
  • A declarant who has an overseas address must sign before a Jamaican J.P. The words “Whilst on Visit/Trip to Jamaica” must be added beside the declaration.
  • Incomplete applications won’t be processed

Requirements Information

  • The full name of the bride (including maiden name)
  • Groom’s full names
  • Parish and Place of Marriage
  • Name of the marriage officer
  • Date of marriage
  • Information for applicants
  • Declaration
  • Dates and signatures

You will need the document

  • To prove your legal marriage, you will need a marriage certificate

External Links



Leave a Comment