How To Obtain a Drivers Permit In Georgia
The Georgia Department of Driver Services (DSS) offers the public by providing regular and commercial passenger car driver’s licenses driver’s permits, driver’s licenses and identification cards from the state.
Application processVisit for the DSS office nearest to your place of work Map that is located in DDS Customer Service Centers.
- Fill out your application form
- The application form from the Customer Service Center, or you can complete the application on the internet before the time. Your guardian, parent or driving instructor, or another adult with a responsibility for you is required to attend the Customer Service Center and sign the application in the presence of an DDS employee.
- Bring documentation to verify the The Following:
- Your identity, which includes your full name
- Your birth date
- You must provide your Social Security number , or evidence of your ineligibility for the Social Security number
- You have US citizenship (or the legal status of your presence in the US even if you’re not an US citizen)
- Your residence address is in Georgia
- Verify the Secondary School you attended.
- Take a copy of a document that proves that you have attended or completed secondary school or an equivalent. E.g., a Certificate of School Enrollment (Form Form DS-1), signed by an official from your school , and notarized high school diploma or an official GED diploma or proof of enrollment in the GED program, or the proof of enrollment at an educational institution postsecondary.
- TO PASS A VISION TESTING
- If your vision acuity readings are less than 20/60, even with corrective lenses, and your field of vision lower than 140°, you’ll be asked to get an DSS-274 done by an eye doctor.
- Pay the fee of $10
- You have to pay the fee via check, cash or credit card before taking the knowledge test. If you don’t pass the test then you must pay an additional $10 every time you take it again.
- Succeed IN A KNOWLEDGE TEST
- The exam for knowledge at an DDS Customer Service Center on the basis of walk-in. Make sure you arrive well in advance of the closing time since the test will be completed within 30 minutes prior to the time it is time to leave the Center closes.
- Have your photo and FINGERPRINTS SEEN
- If you meet the conditions Once you have met these requirements, once you have met these requirements, the DDS Customer Service Center will issue you an interim Georgia Class CP instructional permit. The permanent permit will be sent at the end of 30 days. If you’ve not received it within that time make contact with the DDS.
NB Note that your Class CP instructional permit is valid for two years. If you don’t have an official driver’s license by date your permit expires, you’ll need renew your permit to be able to drive.
Documents Required Obtain a Drivers Permit
- Identity proof residence address, social security number, U.S. citizenship or proof of your legal citizenship to be in your home country of the United States. Please consult Secure ID for further details.
- If you’re new to Georgia it is mandatory to surrender any out-of-state driver’s license/permit/ID.
- If the applicant was issued a driver’s permit/ID card in another state, but the card was lost or stolenfrom, then the person must present an official duplicate of their document of driving or motor vehicle from the jurisdiction which granted the license. It is essential that the MVR must be valid for the past 30 days. The DDS will not accept uncertified copies made from websites, however the fax can be sent directly to DDS directly from another state agency.
- Drivers who are younger than 18 years old are required to have a Parent/Guardian, Responsible Adult or an authorized driver training instructor to submit the application to get driving license. They are also able to request that the driver’s license to be suspended anytime prior to the 18th birthday of the applicant.
- The documents should be written in English.
- An Georgia DDS Certificate of School Enrollment (DS-1) must be signed by the applicant and notarized by the school of the applicant. It’s only valid for 30 days.
- Anyone who is who are under 18 and who are not in school must present a high school diploma, GED, special diploma and a proof of high school graduation or evidence of participation in the GED program or postsecondary institution.
- Anyone who visits a customer service centre must complete an application form or application. They must submit it within a 30 days.
Office Locations and Contacts
Georgia Department of Driver Services
2206 East View Parkway
Conyers, Georgia 30013 Map
A Mailing Address
Department of Driver Services
Post Office Box 80447
Conyers, Georgia 30013
Data for Driver’s Licence
Contact Center Office Hours: Monday to Friday, 7:00 am – 5:15 pm.
1. (866) 754-3687 (Inside Georgia but outside the Metro Atlanta Area)
You can check the status of your License At any moment (24/7)
What Are All The Eligibility
- Minimum 15 years old, a USA citizen
Permit Fee for CP = $10.00. Check out FEES and Terms for more details.
Permits are good for two years. If you don’t have driver’s license before the date your permit expires, you’ll have renew your permit for instruction in order to drive.
The permit should be sent in the next 30 days. If you’ve not received it by then, please contact the DDS.
Visit the DDS to pass your test in writing and receive your license! There’s no reason to schedule an appointment with the local DDS. But, you’ll need to ensure that you are allowed at least 30 minutes before closing the office at the end of each day. It is required that you pass two tests which are The Road Rules Test and the Road Signs Test. The tests consist of 20 tests and it’s necessary to score 75% or more. Additionally, you’ll need to submit your fingerprint and signature as well as pass a vision test and then take a photograph. With your Georgia learner’s permit it’s time to get started with driving lessons.
- Your identity, which includes your full name
- The date you were born
- You must provide your Social Security number , or evidence of your ineligibility for an Social Security number
- The validity of your US citizenship (or your legal residence in the US even if you’re not an US citizen)
- Your residence address is located in Georgia
- School certificate enrolment(form the DS-1)
Documentation is needed
A Georgia learners permit permits the driver to operate a passenger vehicle , but only under supervision. It is required that you have someone beside you who is at least 21 years old with a valid license and is physically fit to drive in the moment.
Information that could be helpful
Learn to pass your DDS permit test using unlimited practice tests available in-app. It is essential to be prepared for the written test prior to submitting your application towards the DDS. It is essential to score at least 21 of 30 questions correctly and have unlimited chances of passing the test. In the event that you don’t pass, you can take the test over for as many times as you can.
Within one year, and one full day getting your permit and when you’re 16, go into the DDS to sit for the test for driving and obtain your permit! The Driving Experience Acfidavit (DDS-7) is required to confirm that you’ve completed the 40 hours of behind-the-wheel-practice that includes six hours of driving at night. For scheduling your road test time, you need to call ahead or sign up on the internet. To speed up the process you can also apply on the internet within 30 days from the date of your appointment. If you fail the road test you will have to wait a day before taking the test again. If you fail the test again, you will have to wait for a week before retaking the test. The new photo driver’s license will be delivered by mail. In the meantime, you must carry your temporary license on hand when driving. While you’re waiting you aren’t allowed to transport passengers who aren’t within your immediate family. After six months, you’re allowed only one non-relative younger than 21 years old, and after six months, you can have three relatives who are not 21. Also, you can’t drive between the hours of 12am until 5am. When you reach the age of 18 years old, these restrictions do not apply.