How to Obtain an International Certificate of Good Health In United States

Obtain an International Certificate of Good Health In United States By Online

  1. Your animal must be examined by a vet. If your pet meets the requirements of the country you are visiting your vet can issue a health certificate.
  2. You should contact your veterinarian for the correct and complete certification of health for the export.
  3. Contact your doctor the area VS Area Office via e-mail or fax should your vet have concerns about the health certificate you should apply for.

Required Documents For Obtain an International Certificate of Good Health

Form for International Health Certificate, USDA-APHIS 7001

Office Locations and Contacts

Headquarters are located within Washington, D.C., USDA’s Postal Service mailing address is:U.S. Department of Agriculture
1400 Independence Ave., S.W.
Washington, DC 20250
Info Hotline (202) 720-2791

Regional Offices:
1445 Federal Drive Suite 226
Phone:( 334) 551-2180

1550 Irving Street, Ste 100, Tumwater
Phone: (360) 753-9430

Arizona 6200 Jefferson St. NE, Suite 117
Phone: (505) 761-3160

1200 Cherry Brook Drive, Suite 300
Little Rock
Phone: (501) 224-9515

10365 Old Placerville Road Suite 210
Phone: 916 854-3900

755 Parfet Street Suite 136, 755 Parfet Street
Phone: (303) 231-5385

8100 N.W. 15th Avenue
Phone: (352) 313-3060


The United States has minimal requirements for animals that are exported to other nations.
Your Area Veterinarian-in-Charge can provide you with the current regulations, tests, and inspections required.


The document is valid for thirty days from the date of the date of issue.

Documents to Utilize

International Health Certificate USDA-APHIS 7001 form

Processing Time

The process can take anywhere from between a few weeks and months dependent on the requirements of the country that is importing.
Certain nations require an isolated period or quarantine which can range from a few weeks to months prior to a pet’s eligibility to enter the country.
You must begin investigating what is required of the prospective country as soon as you are able to.


  • The certificate must state the animal is healthy and free of parasites.
  • The certificate should include the vaccinations the pet received with the date, type, manufacturer and batch number, if applicable.
  • In general, the rabies shot is required within 30 days prior travel, but not more than 12 months prior to travel in some countries, though some differ.
  • Whatever nation your pet is travelling into, make sure you be in that country prior to the time the most recent vaccine against rabies has expired.

The Information You Need

  • Name of pet
  • Breed
  • Color
  • Age of Pet
  • Country of Origin
  • Phone number, name and address of the owner of the Pet

Documentation is needed

International health certificates to permit the export of animals exported from to the United States are completed by an accredited veterinarian who confirms the herd’s health and status, conducts tests and keeps track of the results of tests for each of the animals that are exported.
A completed and signed international health certificates to allow animal exports out of to the United States must be endorsed by an Veterinary Services area office in order to be valid.
This International Health Certificate should be given by your doctor close as the day of your travel, if possible but not more than 21 calendar days prior to travel.

Information that can be useful

Certain countries also require that the certificate translate into the native language of that country.
We suggest that you review the specific country’s pet import regulations.

External Links


Each country has its own specific requirements regarding health for the admission of animals.
These rules are set by the country that is importing Not The United States.
Other countries could have their own certificates format to export.
As the requirements for exports change frequently The current requirements for exports are available. You can obtain the latest regulations for export from your Veterinary Service office in your region prior to each shipment.



Leave a Comment