Obtain Permanent Residents Certificate In Bermuda By Yourself
- Get an application online on the official government site of Bermuda site: website or download it through the link provided in “Documents that you can be used” Section below.
- Review the application form thoroughly and then determine the section you’re applying for i.e. Section 31A OR Section 31B.
- Complete the application form by filling in accurate and valid information. attach all required documents required for the section that you’re applying for the residence under.
- Do your referees have to fill out the reference section, and ensure they meet the requirements the law.
- With the completed application form, along with all the required documents, you can submit your form with all the required documents to the Department of Immigration for verification and processing.
- Make sure you pay the application fee for the section you’ve applied for.
- This application will then be scrutinized to ensure that it is complete and you will be required to provide additional details. When you’re fully in compliance to all requirements, and the verification has been completed through department of immigration Department of Immigration, the application will be submitted to the Minister in charge of Immigration to make a decision. If the application is approved, a Residence Certificate can be granted.
Required Documents For Obtain Permanent Residents Certificate
For those who are applying for Section 31A
- The completed application form
- 2 passport photos
- A certified copy of the applicant’s valid passport.
- An endorsement letter as well as character reference from two sponsors
- An employer’s letter as well as one from a professional person attesting to the residency of the applicant for a period of 10 years
- An original copy of the applicant’s exemption certificate and, if the applicant is calculating any period between the 1st of January 2002 to 1 January 2012 the company’s certificate(s) that indicates the date on which the company was deemed to be being in compliance with the criteria outlined under Section 3B in the Economic Development Act 1968
- The letter of each of the eligible employer or employers that confirms that the applicant was employed by them during the applicable period of eligibility.
For those who are applying for Section 31B
- The completed application form
- 2 passport photos
- Certificate copies of birth certificates or passports, plus wedding certificate, deed Poll and marriage certificates (if relevant)
- A note of support from two sponsors
- Documentation of residency Proof of residence Bermuda over a period of 10 years e.g. letters from employers, school, and a written statement from a professional attesting to the 10 years of residency
- Proof of relationship to child, spouse (whichever applies to your specific application), including long form birth/marriage/adoption certificates or deed poll (if name has been changed). The proof must also be provided by the Permanent Residents Certificate of these individuals as stated in this form.
- Other documents to support your application , as stated on this application form in the event that it is required
Office Locations and Contacts
Department of Immigration:
Government Administration Building
30 Parliament Street
P.O. Box HM 1364
Phone: 441-295-5151 Ext. 1378
Office hours: 8:30a.m. until 5:00p.m.
Chief Immigration Officer
Phone: 441-295-5151 Ext. 1444
Assistant Chief Immigration Officer
Phone: 441-295-5151 Ext. 1385
Hotline for Immigration at 441-296-5202
L.F. Wade International Airport
3 Cahow Way
St. George’s GECX
The applicant must meet all prerequisites to be eligible to apply under Section 31A.
- You are exempted from the Part V of the Bermuda Immigration and Protection Act 1956, in accordance with subsection 5 under the Economic Development Act 1968 for at minimum 10 years;
- You’ve lived in Bermuda for the minimum of 10 years.
- You resided normally in Bermuda in the two years immediately prior to your the date of application.
To be eligible for a loan to Section 31B
- The applicant could be a parent or a daughter of someone who has a Permanent Resident’s Certificate in Section 31A and is above the upper limit of compulsory schooling.
- or, the applicant could have the status of spouse to someone who has a Permanent Resident Certificate in accordance with Section 31A.
- And , in all cases the candidate must be:
- at minimum 18 years old
- Usually, residents reside normally resident in Bermuda for 10 years immediately prior to submitting an the time of application.
In accordance with the regulations of the old part of section 31, section (1) (1) of the Bermuda Immigration and Protection Act 1956, a person may petition minister for granting of a permanent residence certificate If:
- the person was a resident of Bermuda prior to or on the 31st of July, 1989;
- the person has lived in Bermuda for at least 20 years or more;
- He/she lived in Bermuda for 2 years immediately prior to the filing;
- The applicant is, at when the application is made not less than 40 years old age at the time of application; and
- The applicant must apply before the 1st August of 2010.
- When submitting a request for a permanent residence certificate pursuant to section 31A $50,000
- In the case of a request for a permanent resident’s license under section 31B $3,000
Documents to Utilize
- Formulary for application: Form
- 2-to-4 weeks
- The applicant must have two sponsors that back their application. The sponsors must be Commonwealth citizens, possessing Bermudian Status and been in contact with the applicant for a minimum of seven years.
- In order to get an permanent Residents Certificate, an applicant must meet the requirements of Section 31A or 31B under the Bermuda Immigration and Protection Act 1956.
The Information You Need
- Applicant’s personal details:
- Surname/Family name
- First name
- Middle name(s)
- Name of the family at birth
- Birth date
- Address in Bermuda
- Address for postage
- Contact numbers
- E-mail address
- Birth nationality
- The country of birth
- Current citizenship
- Marital status
- Convictions (if there are any)
- Date of arrival to Bermuda
- Information on the applicant’s place of residence in the country of residence
- Details regarding the applicant’s Spouse or former Spouse (if relevant)
- Information about the applicant’s parents
- Information on the sponsor of the applicant
Documentation is needed
- Residence certificate shows that you are able to legally reside within Bermuda legally and receive service that residents who are not permitted to get
Information that could be helpful
Bermuda Certificate of Residence: Policy
- Bermuda law: Bermuda law
- Bermuda Government: Bermuda Government