How to Register Marriage for NonMuslim In Malysia

Register Marriage for NonMuslim In Malysia By Online

  • Go to the appropriate authority personally.
  • Please fill out the application form with all the information you need. The forms to fill out are below. Fill only the information that is relevant to your particular situation.
  • Make sure you have all the documents required.
  • Pay the fees that are appropriate.

Required Documents For Register Marriage for NonMuslim

  • An active MyKad, MyPR or Malaysian green card.
  • Original and a copy of the passport as well as pages with personal information and the date of the latest arrival in Malaysia and an unrestricted visa or pass to enter Malaysia for non-citizens.
  • 1 colour passport-sized photograph per applicant
  • A letter of acceptance from the Immigration department for the student pass and temporary employees who have a work permit to register their marriages in Malaysia
  • Letter of approval to marry granted by the head of department for army or police personnel.
  • Original and copies of any of the documents listed below, with the translation of a professional Translator who is qualified to translate in Malay Language or English if not originally written in either language is required:
    • Birth Certificate for non-citizens
    • Decree nisi absolute (divorce certificate)
    • Death certificate of a previous spouse, if applicable.
  • The letter confirming marital status of an applicant who is not a citizen is to be:
    • attested by or the Malaysian official in the applicant’s home country or by the consulate of the applicant in Malaysia or
    • Re-certified from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Wisma Putra) in Putrajaya, Kuching or Kota Kinabalu
    • If the letter doesn’t have a valid date the letter will be deemed valid for 6 months starting from the date of the issue
  • Approval letter to the Myanmar citizen to be married with a foreigner in Malaysia through their local government
  • Letter of confirmation that the applicant isn’t an Muslim from their country of residence (i.e. Iran, Iraq, Egypt, Algeria, Pakistan, Bangladesh or any other Muslim countries, or from any other country, if needed).
  • Request for an authorization letter to register marriage of a non-citizen in NRD office NRD Office in another country must be submitted to Marriage and Divorce Divisions counter, NRD Headquarters, Putrajaya or via mail:
    • A cover letter that explains the reason for sending it, and how to send it through mail.
    • Original letter confirming the marital status of a non-citizen applicant that had:
      • attested by or by the Malaysian Representative in the applicant’s home country or by the consulate of the applicant’s home country in Malaysia or
      • Re-certified through The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Wisma Putra) in Putrajaya, Kuching or Kota Kinabalu.
    • Letter of approval from Immigration Department of Malaysia for students and temporary employees to record their marriages in Malaysia.
    • The following is a copy:
      • MyKad.
      • Passports pages that contain personal details including the date of the latest arrival in Malaysia and the validity of a valid visa or passport for non-citizens.
      • Birth Certificates for non-citizens.
      • Decree nisi absolute (divorce certificate), if applicable.
      • Death certificate of spouse who died before If the case is applicable
      • Approval letter from the government of Myanmar citizens to marry to a Malaysian in Malaysia through their local government.
    • A confirmation letter stating that the applicant is not an Muslim from the relevant government (i.e. Iran, Iraq, Egypt, Algeria, Pakistan, Bangladesh or any other Muslim countries, or from any other country as long as it is required).
    • All documents mentioned above must translate into Malay Language or English by an experienced translator.
    • Original documents are required when you submit the marriage application to the local NRD office.
  • If applicable, all documents should have been translated to Malay Language or English by qualified translators and then submitted together with the application.
  • Candidates who don’t speak Malay Language will need to submit the declaration in Part D1 or D2 of form JPN.KC02 Translated by a certified interpreter to the language they can comprehend.

Office Locations and Contacts

National Registration Department Malaysia
Ministry of Home Affairs
No.20 Precinct 2, Precinct 2.
Federal Government Administrative Centre
62551 Federal Territory of Putrajaya
TELE (1MOCC) 03-8000 0800
Fax 03-8880-8288
Below is an external link to the following
NRD Branch
State Director’s contact info
Headquarters Management


  • Marriage registration is compulsory for non-Muslims. Malaysian.
  • Foreigners who are not Muslims living in Malaysia could apply to register their marriage under this law.


  • The price per service for the 30 RM.
  • Additional charges if these licenses are approved
    • Form JPN.KC01A 2 Form JPN.KC01A – 2
    • Formula JPN.KC01C 100 RM
    • Form JPN.KC01D 10 Form JPN.KC01D – 10
    • Formula JPN.KC01E 500 RM

Documents to Utilize

  • Application Formula JPN.KC02
  • The required forms must be filled out when applying (if required)
    • Formula JPN.KC01A Request for marriage licences for couples whose relations are not permitted
    • Form JPN.KC01B Form JPN.KC01B – Written agreement to marry those who are not yet 21 years of age , but who has completed the age of 18 years.
    • Formula JPN.KC01C The application for a wedding license to get rid of the marriage announcement and marriage certificate
    • Formula JPN.KC01D A marriage license for females younger than 18 years old but who has completed 16 years of marriage
    • Formula JPN.KC01E Application for a license to marry in any location other than an office at the offices of the Registrar


Be sure to read the following attentively:

  • The applicant must be in the marriage district for at least 7 days and a day prior to applying for marriage at the appropriate NRD office. This is not applicable to applications for solemnisation or registration of marriages in temples, churches and associations.
  • In the case of marriage applications in which one or both of the parties are from outside the country applicants need to make the application available in NRD office. NRD office.
  • The ceremony of marriage must occur within 21 days + one day but not more than six months after the date of the application. In the case of marriage applications made through the Malaysian Representative Office, the application must be submitted directly to the NRD office in the district of marriage in Malaysia in which the person who is a party to the marriage was the last resident to the public for at minimum 21 days plus 1 day.
  • Approval Letter from the department head concerned is essential for military or police personnel who wish to be married.
  • A license as described in the “Documents to Use’ section, in the event that it is required, must be included along with the marriage application with the exception of applications for a licence on JPN.KC01E. JPN.KC01E is required following the marriage application at NRD.
  • Student pass or temporary work pass holders must obtain an approbation by the Immigration Department of Malaysia to marry in Malaysia.
  • Non-citizens must present a document to prove their marriage situation.
  • Myanmar citizens must present an official letter from their local government in order to permit their marriage to take place in Malaysia.
  • A formal confirmation from the government of the country to confirm that applicant does not belong as the country’s Muslim (i.e. Iran, Iraq, Egypt, Algeria, Pakistan, Bangladesh or any other Muslim countries, or from any other country, if needed).
  • An application for an authorization letter for marriage registration to a non-citizen NRD offices in an alternative country must be made to the counter of the Marriage and Divorce Divisions counter, NRD Headquarters, Putrajaya or via post.
  • it is up to the bride to ensure that an interpreter is available when registering the marriage in the event that the person applying for the marriage cannot communicate in Malay Language or English.
  • Malaysian couples who want to register religious or customary weddings in temples, churches or organizations are required to visit at least one National Registration Department office to verify the information provided on the marriage registration form and pay a fee of RM20.00 to get registration on the Marriage Register.

Documentation is needed

This page provides details on how to marry a non-Muslim outside of Malaysia.



Leave a Comment