How to Registering a Civil Partnership In Ireland

Registering a Civil Partnership In Ireland By Online

  • You must contact the Civil Registrar in the district you plan on to form an agreement for a civil partnership in order to set an appointment for the registration of the civil partnership.
  • To request a copy the certificate of civil partnership, you need to contact a Civil Registration Office, specifying the exact date and time of registration for the civil partnership as well as the names of the two civil partners

Required Documents For Registering a Civil Partnership

  • Passports are used as identification.
  • PPS Numbers

Office Locations and Contacts

Contact details for your local Civil Registrar ( are available from your Local Health Office ( in the Health Service Executive (HSE).


  • There is no charge to register civil partnerships or corrections to errors on a certificate of civil partnership. Charges are imposed to obtain copies of the certificates.
  • There is a cost for civil partnership ceremonies that is held at a location other that the office of the Registrar.
  • The certificate is issued to help with social welfare at a lower cost. A proof of social welfare needs is required, for example an official note issued by the Department of Social Protection.
  • The costs for the certificate are as follows:
  • 10 for a full standard certificate (8 per extra copy)
  • 1 for a complete version, a short copy (for social welfare reasons)

Six dollars for an unsworn copy of the Entry into the Register (4 for an additional copy)


  • Civil partnerships are usually legally registered. There is no requirement to hold the ceremony of a civil partnership unlike marriages that require a wedding ceremony. Civil partners are able to decide to hold a ceremony, and in the event that they do it, the requirements are the same as the ones that are applicable to civil wedding ceremonies.
  • You must contact the Civil Registrar in the district where you are planning to create your civil partnership to get more information about the best way to go about it. There is no need to reside in the district in which you wish to be registered.


  • The civil partnership ceremony could be held at the Civil Registers office or any other location which has been accepted by the Registrar. The Registrar must also be the ability to sign your civil partnership.
  • If you are planning to have the ceremony held in another location than the Registrar’s office, make contact with the Civil Registration Office for the district that the ceremony is held in, to get the venue approved. The Registrar could be involved in reviewing the location.
  • The use of marquees, private residences or outdoor spaces are not allowed. These guidelines on venues can be found on the General Registrar’s site. To ensure that the location is approved prior to your civil wedding ceremony, you must make arrangements for approval well prior to notifying the Registrar.
  • There is an additional charge for civil partnership ceremonies that is held at a location other than the Registrars Office.

Civil Partnership Registration Form

  • If you meet the three months of notification requirement and there’s no hurdle in forming one, a civil partnership, then the Registrar will provide you with an Civil Partnership Registration Form (CPRF) which will allow you to declare the civil partnership. It is recommended that you give your CPRF to the person responsible for signing the civil partnership prior to the civil ceremony. In the real world it is the case that the Registrar who issues the CPRF will also be the one who registers the civil partnership, the Registrar should retain the form.
  • Following your ceremony is over, the CPRF must be signed by you , your partner, 2 witnesses, and the Registrar. The Registrar should register the civil partnership using the information contained in the CPRF within the shortest time possible following the ceremony.

Civil partnership registration

  • Registration of civil partnerships must be done by the Registrar, in the presence of two witnesses 18 or older. In the course of registration, you and the person you intend to marry have to sign 3 forms:
    • If you are unaware of any obstacle in your relationship.
    • Your intention is to be a supportive and loving partner your partner
    • That you accept your planned spouse as civil partners

Services for interpretation

  • Should you find that your potential partner, or any of the two witnesses do not have the necessary knowledge of the language of the country in which the civil partnership registry is conducted to be able to comprehend the language being spoken, then the services of an interpreter need to be available. You are responsible to offer the services.

The Information You Need

  • 1st and 2nd parties surname and forename
  • PPS number (if available)
  • Date of marriage
  • Location of Marriage and ceremony (if any)

The Document is required

  • According to the Civil Partnership and Certain Rights and Obligations of Cohabitants Act the same-sex couples are able to register their relationship as an civil partnership. The Registrar General is required to keep a register of civil partnership, as well as a registry of decrees dissolving civil partnerships as well as an inventory of nullity for civil partnerships. The rules for registration and procedures are generally similar to the procedures for the registration of civil marriage or annulments of marriage as well as divorce.
  • In order to register your partnership as a civil one, you need an Civil Partnership Registration Form (CPRF) from an official of the Civil Registry. The Registrar will issue the CPRF after you have submitted the required 3 months notice of your intent to register with the Registrar. You can send your notice of 3 months to the Registrar in another district than the district in which you will be signing for your civil partnership.

External Links

Public service Information Registering a civil partnership

Civil Partnership and Certain Rights and Obligations of Cohabitants Act 2010

3 months notification to the Registrar



Leave a Comment