How To Single Status Certificate (Certificado de Solteria) In Costa Rica

How To Single Status Certificate (Certificado de Solteria) In Costa Rica

  • It is recommended to adhere to the guidelines of certain authorities believe are essential. Couples who want to marry outside of the country require special documents. The first step is to sign a declaration that is processed by the local office , where marriage certificates are issued. It must come from the state in which you reside in Costa Rica. This statement will be noted as evidence that it was been no marriage in the last few years.
  • Because these kinds of documents are needed to be used for foreign participation, one is required to have a local or state registrar’s declaration or account to be authenticated in order to work in foreign countries.
  • Visit the Civil Registry office where marriages are recorded.
  • Bring in and sign the necessary documents.
  • Fill out a form and then declare.
  • Pay the amount.

Documents Required Single Status Certificate (Certificado de Solteria)

  • National identity card or passport.
  • Address proof.
  • If you divorce or divorced, Decree Absolute.
  • If widowed, death certificate of the previous husband (and the Marriage Certificate).
  • In the event that your address has changed through Deed Poll the proof is required.
  • The applicable fee.

Office Locations and Contacts

Tribunal Supremo de Elecciones (in Spanish)At: Calle 15, between Avenidas 1 and 3, San Jos
Tel: 2287 5555
Open Monday through Friday from 08:00 to 16:00.
Regional offices are situated all over Costa Rica; to find the nearest office: Click here
Costa Rica Representations abroad

How To Single Status Certificate (Certificado de Solteria) In Costa Rica
How To Single Status Certificate (Certificado de Solteria) In Costa Rica

What Are All The Eligibility

If you plan to marry in a foreign country, you might require the Certificate of Non-Impediment. The document can be referred to by many names, including Declaration of Non-Impediment to Marriage, Statutory Declaration of Single Status Affidavit of Intentional Marriage, Statement in lieu of Certificate of Non-Impediment for marriage abroad or Certificate de Coutume, a Certificate of Non Impediment and Certificate of Nulla Obsta, Certificate of Independence to marry or simply the right to get married.


  • A Single Status Certificate (Certificado of Solteria) was issued by the Civil Registry.
  • Civil Registry Offices
  • The Civil Registry (Registro Civil) is a registry that records and issues certificates of births or marriages, as well as deaths. The registry also issue Costa Rican identity cards. It is part of Tribunal Supremo de Elecciones (the supreme authority in elections of Costa Rica).
  • Also, be aware that a basic Single Status Certificate or Certificate of No Impediment could not be sufficient by itself to permit an event to be held in a different country. You could be required by authorities in the foreign country to follow the followingrequirements, so please make sure you give enough time to process.
  • Certificates could require translation.
  • Certificates could require endorsement or exchanged for an local version that is approved by the Embassy or Consulate in the country in which you are planning to marry.
  • Certificates might require to be legalized i.e. issued with an official stamp referred to by the name of an Apostille.

Certificates could require that witnesses sign an Affidavit declaring that you are legally married and that the certificate is affixed.

Requirements Information

  • Full Name
  • Identification number or passport
  • Place of Birth and Date of Birth
  • Nationality
  • Statement
  • Date
  • The signature of the individual who has declared
  • Signature of witnesses

Documentation is needed

  • The Single Status Certificate,, also called the No Marriage Affidavit or Certificate of Freedom to Wed or Certificate of Non Impediment is a legally swearing statement that states that you’re eligible to marry.
  • Overseas marriage authorities typically require additional proof that the couple is able to get married. This could be an affirmation of the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages that there is no evidence of the individual having previously been married, or a single status certificate or “No Records Results”.
  • A Single Status Certificate (Certificado De Solteria) is issued by the Civil Registry

Information that can be useful

With a sworn statement, the applicant affirms that they are the person the claim they are. This Single Status Affidavit declares that they are eligible and legally married, and other things. Be aware that one of the things you should know about this Single Status Affidavit that it isn’t the official government document, but rather it’s a document from the affiant that is signed before the notary public. One interesting aspect of this kind document is that it has numerous names that are used for it. Take a take a look at the following listing: “Single Status Statutory Declaration” or”Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage “Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage” or an “Single Status Certificate” or “Free-to-marry declaration”.

Other uses for the document/certificate

To allow non-nationals to get married in a foreign country, you’ll most likely have to provide documents from your home country which proves that you are single and you are legally married. This is referred to as a ‘Certificate without Impediment or ‘Certificate of Coutume’, ‘Certificate de Nulla Osta’, or a “Certificate for Freedom to Marry’.

External Links

Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Costa Rica

Tribunal Supremo de Elecciones


  • It is essential that the Bride & Groom to be married should provide, the country of their citizenship or individual certificates of non impediment or Certificates of Single Status/Sworn Affidavit to prove that they are both single and are eligible to marry. This is also referred to as an affidavit for single status or a negative declaration of marriage. The document is available from the Bureau of Vital statistics in their city in which they reside. Certificate of no impediment to marriage The certificate is available through the regional department of foreign affairs, or the Embassy in the country in where you’re getting married.
  • Certificate of Single Status/Sworn Affidavit that states you can marry freely The certificate is identical to an Certificate of no Impediment however, you need to prove that you are not married in front of an official.



Leave a Comment