How to Single Status Certificate / Certificate of No Impediment (No Objection to Marriage) In United Kingdom

Single Status Certificate / Certificate of No Impediment (No Objection to Marriage) In United Kingdom By Online

The Certificate of No Impediment (CNI) is now regularly requested of UK citizens that intend to marry abroad. Similar documents are used in other countries but within the UK the CNI is an official government issued document. When planning to get married overseas it is common that the authorities in that country will request a Certificate of No Impediment. This document is a way of proving that there is no Impediment/Obstruction in allowing you to be married and shows that there has been no objection to your proposed marriage.

  1. If you are a British National living overseas and wish to also be married outside of the UK then you cannot contact a UK Registry Office. Instead, you may have to visit the closest British Embassy to you who will then complete the process on your behalf or provide alternative documentation.
  2. Obtaining the CNI can also vary based on who you are marrying, for example, if you are to be marrying an Irish National then you will need to obtain the CNI from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office directly, if you live in the UK.
  3. After you obtain your CNI overseas, you should find out from the authority in that country if they require legislation called an Apostille, which can be obtained from the foreign and commonwealth office or some organization can do that for you. For example the hague apostille
  4. If you live in the UK and wish to obtain the CNI then you would simply need to contact your local Registry Office to arrange for an appointment and inform them that you wish to bemarried and require the CNI. NOTE: as there can often be an 8 week wait for appointments you should plan well ahead.
  5. As part of the process you will may be asked to provide various supporting documents as evidence of your nationality, address and current marital status. It is advisable to clarify what the document requirements of the register office are when booking your appointment.
  6. Once notice is taken it is then displayed for a legal waiting period of 28 clear days before the Certificate of No Impediment can be issued.
  7. Once the certificate has been issued the apostille can be attached so that the document will be accepted when presented overseas in an official capacity.
  8. The certificate is often referred to as a certificate of non-impediment but this is the same document

Required Documents For Single Status Certificate / Certificate of No Impediment (No Objection to Marriage)

At the appointment you will need to provide evidence of:

  • Nationality – one of the following
    • Valid passport; or
    • Nationality identity card; or
    • Citizenship certificate confirming British Citizenship; or
    • British birth certificates
      • If you were born prior to 1 January 1983 we will need to see either your full or short birth certificate.
      • If you were born after 1 January 1983 we will need to see your full birth certificate, which includes your parents’ details, PLUS either your mother or father’s birth certificate if your parents were married when you were born.  If your parents were unmarried when you were born then only your mother’s birth certificate can be accepted.  If your parents were born outside the UK, then you must provide evidence of British nationality at the time of your birth.
  • Address – one of the following:
    • Utility bill dated no more than 3 months prior to the date of the appointment; or
    • Bank or building society statement or passbook dated no more than one month prior to the date of the appointment; or
    • Council tax bill dated no more than one year prior to the date of the appointment; or
    • Mortgage statement from the last 12 months; or
    • Current residential tenancy agreement; or
    • Valid driving license in the name of the person giving Notice of Marriage; or
    • Letter from the owner or proprietor of the address which is the person’s place of residence. This letter must include:
      • The name, address, date and signature of the owner / proprietor
      • Confirmation that this person is the owner / proprietor; and
      • Confirmation of the name of the person giving Notice and that they have been resident at the address for at least the 8 days immediately prior to the Notice appointment.
Evidence of your age – If either of you are under the age of 18 we will need to see proof that your parent, or guardians, agree to the marriage.  If your parents are divorced we may also need to see the court order that gives custody to one of them
Name – evidence of any name change (marriage certificate; deed poll etc)
Evidence of condition – one of the following (as appropriate)

  • Decree absolute – if granted outside England and Wales, then the final divorce documents issued along with a full translation, if written in any language other than English.
  • The death certificate of the spouse – if the person remarrying is not mentioned on the death certificate then you must also provide a certified copy of the marriage certificate.
  • The presumed death certificate of the spouse Only original documents can be provided.  Photocopies will not be accepted
  • If you do not bring all the required original, valid documentation they will not be able to complete your notice and a further appointment will have to be booked and paid for.

Office Locations & Contacts

General Register Office (include GQ in the subject of your email)
Telephone: 0300 123 1837
Text phone: 18001 0300 123 1837
Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm
Saturday, 9am to 4pm

General Register Office
PO Box 2

Certificates of No Impediment
Consular Directorate
Foreign & Commonwealth Office
King Charles Street

General Register Offices
Search for your local register office
Embassies of United Kingdom Abroad


All British citizens who wish to marry in the UK or Overseas


Fees Details


Until marriage however, this varies in certain countries that if you don’t marry within a certain period it expires.

Processing Time

28 days.


  • When you are booking for an appointment please confirm the required documents to makes sure that you have all the necessary documents for the process otherwise you will need to rebook again and pay for a fresh appointment.

Required Information

  • Name & Surname
  • Age
  • Condition to Marry (for example – Single, Previous Marriage Dissolved etc)
  • Occupation
  • Place of Residence
  • Period of Residence at the address
  • Location where the Marriage shall be taking place
  • Nationality & District of Residence

Need for the Document

  • This document is a way of proving that there is no Impediment/Obstruction in allowing you to be married and shows that there has been no objection to your proposed marriage.

Information which might help

  • It is essential that you find out which documents you will need to present overseas to getmarried. If the documents need to be  legalized by apostille  you should arrange this before travelling abroad. However, do not complete this more than 3 to 6 months ahead of the wedding as some countries request the apostille has been issued recently.
  • The UK doesn’t issue certificates of no impediment (CNIs) for marriages in Commonwealth countries. The British High Commission in Pretoria or the Consulate General in Cape Town can provide a letter to explain this if you’re asked to provide a CNI or a similar document to prove you’re allowed to marry. Contact the High Commission and Consulate General to arrange to collect a letter. The letter must be signed and stamped by a member of theconsular staff.

External Links

Apostille of Hague
Milton Keynes Council
Foreign and Commonwealth Office



Leave a Comment