How To Apply for a Divorce In Cote Divoire
Couples who are married can seek divorce within Cote Divoire, if their union has been broken irreparably. Couples must have been divorced for a minimum of 12 months. One party:
- The divorce proceedings must begin within Ivory Coast where you where wed.
- should consider Cote Divoire as their home and plan to reside there Cote Divoire indefinitely; or be an Ivorian citizen through birth, descent or through the the grant of Ivorian citizenship, or reside or reside in Cote Divoire and have done the same for 12 months immediately prior to declaring divorce.
In this process we will go over the steps you need to follow when applying for divorce from Cote Divoire
- In Cote Divoire in Cote Divoire, you have to have been divorced for at least 12 consecutive months prior to requesting your divorce.
- If your partner and you split but were still living in the same house for any time (or you are currently living under the same roof) or have been married more than 2 years it is recommended to first consult a lawyer as the law has additional rules you have to meet.
2. Making your application
- You can file for divorce on your own or you could submit an application together with your ex-spouse.
- In either case, you’ll have to fill out the Application for Divorce form which is pretty straightforward. If you file your application and are given the Court cost for the filing. The divorce application can be submitted together with other documents.
Step 3. Your hearing
You must appear at your divorce hearing at the following location:
- you filed the Application to divorce yourself.
- in which you and your former spouse have children younger than 18 years old.
If you don’t have children younger than 18 or in the event that you and your former spouse jointly filed to divorce, you are able to either choose not to attend the divorce hearing.
- Hearings in divorce are usually quick. The registrar might ask questions regarding the information on your Application , or about the application’s service or the service of the Application, if applicable.
- If children are involved The Registrar can inquire regarding arrangements for the children, for example, which parent they reside with what frequency they visit the other parent, and how they’re supported financially.
- Your divorce lawyer will be present at court proceedings and hearings set by the court together with you. The lawyer can also assist you in the various scenarios that may arise in the court, and advise you on what to do in response to all questions about the acquisition.
Step 4 : Your result
- If the Registrar is satisfied the reasons for divorce have been established and the Application was properly served to the other of the parties (if the application was not jointly filed) The Court will award the divorce.
- The divorce decree will become final after one months and one calendar day following when the court date is set after which the Divorce Order will be sent to your former spouse and you (if they have given the address).
Documents Required Apply for a Divorce
- Affidavit of Residence or Declaration of Residency
- Certificate of Marriage Certificate
- Identification Card (original and photocopy)
- The signature of the applicant is acknowledged by the Notary
- The certificate is issued by the court or the priest.
- Birth Certificate (spouse)
Office Locations and Contacts
Ministry of Family,
Women, & Children & Dep. Govt. Spokesperson
Hon. Raymonde Goudou COFFIE
V200 of BV Abidjan
Phone : + 225 20 22 95 63
Fax: + 225 20 21 66 33
What Are All The Eligibility
Anyone who is a citizen of Ivory who are over 18 years old are able to apply for their marriage to be annulled.
The fee is 30 CAF
The offer is valid for as long as you want.
It takes anywhere from 3 months to one year for a divorce to take effect, however sometimes it can be as long as three years in more complicated cases.
The person who is divorced (Respondent) must be notified of the divorce proceeding (Plaintiff).
The Information You Need
- Marriage certificate
- Identification Documents, such as ID cards.
- Date of wedding
- The office where marriages were registered.
Documentation is needed
- Cote dIvoire, or Ivory Coast is a democracy republic. In the past the Cote dIvorie was among the most stable African nations, however it changed in 2010 due to the conflict that erupted from elections for the presidency.
- The law in Ivory Coast currently recognizes the husband as the head of the household, and is responsible for making all important decisions. If you wish to terminate your relationship or seek divorce you need to engage an attorney to represent you in divorce proceedings for legal advice and support. After you’ve engaged a lawyer, you don’t have to be concerned about paperwork, negotiations, or legal settlement. The reason is that he/she will handle each of these matters with a proper approach.
Information that could be helpful
- The law proposed in Cote Divoire gives a man the possibility of divorceing his wife for adultery , with just a little more resentment than he finds her having a private conversation with a man.
- To divorce a woman for adultery, their husbands will need to be involved in an act of sexual harassment in the home of the couple together with the exact woman at least one time.
Adultery in Cote Divoire is legal in theory, and punishable with the possibility of imprisonment.