Apply for a Work Permit In Malawi By Yourself
- The applicant may apply in person by going to Malawi’s foreign mission , or by visiting the regional office located in Mzuzu and Lilongwe as well as the Immigration Office in Blantyre. contact link
- The application form is obtained at the Immigration office or downloaded from this website: Application form
- The applicant must fill out the form and send it along with any documents supporting it, as described on the “Required Documents” section on this page to the Immigration headquarters or to at the Regional Immigration Offices.
- Pay the required fee. Check on the “Fees” section on this page for further information.
- If the application is accepted The application is then sent on to the Approval Committee for consideration, and then to the Minister for a final approval.
- An applicant will then be informed whether the application was either approved or denied.
- If the application is approved, applicants will be required to pay the applicable fees within 30 days of the date of the notification.
- It can take between 14 and 30 days to complete an Malawian worker’s permit.
- Following that an authorization to work will then be given to the applicant via any method that is appropriate.
Required Documents For Apply for a Work Permit
- Application form for Temporary Employment Permit: Link
- Employment contract.
- Curriculum Vitae.
- Valid passport.
- Advertising for the position.
- Academic qualifications.
Office Locations and Contacts
Department Of Immigration Republic Of MalawiBlantyre – Immigration Headquarters
PO Box No. 331
Telephone Number Phone Number: +265-1823777
Contact Details: Link
Anyone who is planning to work in Malawi may apply.
- Non-governmental organisation K120,000.00.
- Religious group K120,000.00.
- Reverends, priests, pastors and other such persons. K30,000.00.
- Other K120,000.00.
- Fee for application that is not refundable K10,000.00.
The permit to work lasts for at least 6 months, and not longer than two years from the initial issuance.
Documents to Utilize
Form for application for temporary employment permits: Link
It can take between 14 and 30 days to complete the Malawian worker’s permit.
- Work permits are granted to individuals prior to their entry into Malawi to be able to performing a job in Malawi.
- The organisation is accountable to submit the application in behalf of applicants.
- It is required for applications for work permits to be filed with the department of Immigration even if the applicant is not in Malawi to begin work after the application is accepted.
- Anyone who applies for a fresh work permit will be mandated by law to remain outside of Malawi for a period of time until their application has been accepted
- It is a crime according to the Immigration Act to work or be employed in Malawi without the Temporary Employment Permitor work permit.
The Information You Need
- Name of the employer.
- Address of the employer.
- The nature of the business of the employer.
- Permit period during which it is required.
- Description of the job that is being provided.
- The title of the job in Malawi for which the candidate is considered.
- Specifics of prior experience.
- The date of the issue for the initial Permit issued.
- The annual income of the applicant.
- Name of the applicant (in complete).
- The nationality of the applicant.
- The date and the place of birth of applicant.
- The details of the passport of the applicant.
- Date of arrival planned for Malawi.
- Entry point.
- The Criminal Record Address of the applicant’s outside of Malawi where he/she currently or was last residing.
Documentation is needed
Any foreigner who is offered work by an organization located in Malawi must get a permit for workor Temporary Employment Permit prior to starting the job in Malawi.
Information that could be helpful
- A work permit may be renewed for a second time by the sending a temporary employment permit renewal application form and additional documents to the Immigration office.
- A renewal request is required 3 months prior to the expiration of the permit.