How to Apply for Change of Personal Name In Uganda

Apply for Change of Personal Name In Uganda By Online

  1. Check out at the National Identification and Register Authority Office (NIRA) or Uganda Registration Services Bureau Office (URSB) with all the necessary documents and the fees recommended.
  2. For an application form, please Read the instructions carefully, and then fill in the form properly. Application form link Notification of changes
  3. Send the necessary documents to the official who is attending who will review and approve your documents to ensure that all the documents are in order. Then, forward them to the Commissioner for oaths.
  4. If the application is accepted from the commissioner for oaths the applicant must place legal notices in local newspapers for the purpose of announcing the change to the names.
  5. Not more than seven calendar days after the date of publication of this notice, the individual who wants to change their name can apply on an application form that is prescribed to the registry of district of registration for births and deaths where his or her birth was registered.
  6. The registrar, after being satisfied that all the conditions under this article have been met and following the payment of the fee prescribed make the necessary changes to the register and mark and date the amendment.

Required Documents For Apply for Change of Personal Name

  • A letter from an accountable person like an attorney, GP minister, priest, or MP
  • A newspaper advertisement that is placed in a national or local newspaper.
  • A Statutory declaration ( an affirmation, indicating the intention of you to change your previous name and take the new one)
  • Name Change Affidavit

Office Locations and Contacts

Uganda Registration Services Bureau Head OfficePlot 5 George Street, Georgian House,
P.O. Box 6848,
Kampala, Uganda.
Telephone: +256 414 233 219
Call Centre: +256 417 338 100.
For Toll Free Phone: 0800 000
Fax: +256 414 250 712
Twitter: @URSBHQ

All URSB offices are open during working hours:
Monday through Friday: 8AM-5PM
Weekends & Holidays: Closed
Communication of exceptions

Uganda Registration Services Bureau Hoima Office
For more information, please inquire with the regional office.
Uganda Registration Services Bureau Mbarara Office
Ministry of Justice and Constitutional Affairs Building
Plot 1, Kamukuzi Hill
P. O. Box 1318,


  • Anyone Ugandan citizen over the age of 21 years, widower, widower divorced or married person is able to change their name on the spot.


  • 5, 000 Uganda Shillings.

Processing Time

  • A period of five weeks is allowed if documents and information are correct


The name change of an an adult.

  • Anyone who is older than twenty-one years, or widowed or divorced, widowed, or married person who would like to change their name should have to make the Gazette an announcement in the prescribed format of the intention to change their name.
  • Not less than seven days following the announcement in the notification, the individual wishing to change their name can apply on an application form prescribed to the registry officer of the registry district for births and death which the birth was registered. The registrar will, upon having been satisfied that the conditions in this subsection have been fulfilled and following the payment of the fee prescribed modify the register in accordance with this section and mark and date the amendment.

Change of the name of the child.

  • The guardianship or parents of any child who is under twenty-one who is not divorced, married or widowed widow can apply on this form, in the manner prescribed by the registrar of districts of births, deaths and registration where the baby’s birth was declared to modify the names of their child.
  • The registrar will, on payment of the fee alter the register as required and confirm and date the change.

Requirements Information

  • Full name given to birth date
  • Newly adopted names
  • Birth date
  • Identity proof that is valid
  • Citizenship
  • Address for Residence/Email Address
  • Number for phone
  • Occupation
  • The reason for the change in name

The Document is required

  • The certificate is needed for someone who wants to legally alter their name, provided that you don’t plan to fraud or deceive another person.

Information that can be useful

In general, you can legally change the name of your family to any name you’d like to. However, there are some exceptions however:

  • It is not possible to change your name in order to get rid of debts or cover yourself from criminal responsibility.
  • It is not possible to change your name to commit any crime.
  • You shouldn’t alter your name to deceive. It is usually done by taking the name of a celebrity. The courts generally don’t allow this, unless there’s compelling evidence that is not directly related to the person who is famous or the usage of their name.
  • You shouldn’t pick a name that is confusing because it has punctuation marks or numerals. Some courts have allowed people to spell out numbers, like “Seven” in place of “7”.
  • It is not possible to choose names that could be intimidating people, offend or be considered inappropriate.
  • You cannot pick a racial slur.

Other uses of the document/certificate

  • The certificate is required in order for the person to modify the information that identifies him/her on any identification document the person is carrying e.g. the birth certificate or marriage certificates educational certificate, property deeds as well as credit/debit card and social security cards, and insurance policies etc.

External Links

the birth, death and registration of deaths act
The judiciary



Leave a Comment