How to Apply For Exchange Foreign Driver License in Hong Kong

Apply For Exchange Foreign Driver License in Hong Kong

  • Apply for TD63A on the application form •
  • Send the form in the Hong Kong Licensing Office.

Application Form TD63A:

Required Documents For Exchange Foreign Driver License

  • Hong Kong Identity Card (original and photocopy);
  • Relevant travel document (e.g. travel document, such as a passport) (original and photocopies);
  • Valid driving license from overseas (original with photocopies);
  • An official verified translation international driving license , if it’s in a different language than English and Chinese;
  • Other supporting documents relevant to the case (original and photocopies);
  • Address evidence (residential address and address for correspondence) provided within the past 3 months (e.g. water/electricity/gas/mobile phone bill or bank correspondence);
  • Medical Examination Report Form TD256 filled out by a registered physician (applicable to any person who is 70 or over); and
  • Fees for required (you can make inquiries at the information counters at licensing offices or by calling the 1823 Call Centre or 1823 Call Centre. Refer to the table on license fees (TD341) in the offices of licensing or visit the Transport Department’s website for more details).

Office Locations and Contacts

  • Hong Kong Licensing Office, 3/F, United Centre, 95 Queensway, Hong Kong. (near Exit D of the Admiralty MTR Station) Location Map Link to GeoInfo Map
  • Kowloon Licensing Office, 2/F, Cheung Sha Wan Government Offices, 303 Cheung Sha Wan Road, Kowloon. (near Exit C of the Sham Shui Po MTR Station) Link to Location Map GeoInfo Map
  • Kwun Tong Licensing Office, 5/F, Kowloon East Government Office, 12 Lei Yue Mun Road, Kowloon. (near the exit D4 from Kwun Tong MTR Station) Link to Location Map GeoInfo Map
  • Sha Tin Licensing Office, 2/F, Sha Tin Government Offices, 1 Sheung Wo Che Road, Sha Tin, New Territories. (near Exit B of the Sha Tin MTR Station) Link to the Location Map to GeoInfo Map

The hours of operation of all four offices for licensing is according to:

  • Monday through Friday, Monday to Friday, 9:00 a.m. until 5 p.m. (open for lunch hours)

The offices close on the weekend Sunday, Monday and on Public Holidays.

What are all the Eligibility

  • Have a driving licence for overseas that is issued by one or more of the nations, or regions that are listed in Appendix C;
  • The driving license for the overseas driver must include:
    • Valid or not expired more than 3 years;
    • It is required to pass of the driving test that is held in the country that issued the test or in the place where it is held;
  • It is essential that the driving entitlement(s) sought for must correspond to the class(es) that have been granted the right to drive in the country or location of issue or place of issue.
  • Meet any of the conditions listed below:
    • were in the overseas country or in the place of the issue for not less than six months in the period during which it was granted or
    • had the license for five years or more prior to the time of the application or
    • possess a passport or similar travel document issued by the country of the country where it was granted.

Appendix C:


For a list of fees, follow this link:

The Document is required

For drivers from overseas who want be able to use their driving license through Hong Kong, they may achieve this by using any of these methodsThe following methods are available:

    • Apply for a full driver license directly, without testing;
    • Request a temporary driving license and

Driving on the basis of a valid overseas driving licence or an international driving license when they are visiting Hong Kong (visitors mean that they are in Hong Kong other than to stay for a time not exceeding twelve months).

External Links

Driving in Hong Kong for Overseas Driving License Holders: Department Fees and Charges:
Driving License Forms:
Office Locations:



Leave a Comment