Apply for the Funeral Grant Waiver in the National Insurance Scheme in Jamaica on your own
- To waive your right apply for a funeral grant in the National Insurance Scheme (NIS) it is recommended that you send your funeral grant waive request in writing to the NIS office of the Ministry of Social Security and Labour’s (MLSS) parish Offices at your place of residence. Check out these NIS parish offices using this hyperlink: Link and then MLSS contact information via the following link: Link
- Get the request for a funeral grant waiver template from your local NIS parish office at your area or download the form on the MLSS website by clicking this hyperlink: Link (scroll to locate “Funeral Grant Waiver”)
- Fill out the waiver form with the help of a person who is a witness, usually notary public or a Justice of the Peace official according to the “WITNESS’ CERTIFICATE AND SIGNNATURE” part of the application form. Be aware that if the person applying cannot write or read due to disability or illness The application should be signed by a reputable person on behalf of the applicant.
- Once the application is completed, signed and authenticated in the manner required Go to the NIS office and hand in your application form in full at the NIS officer at the desk of service
- An NIS official will confirm that your request and provide an acknowledgement acceptance of your application.
- The request for waiver will be forwarded to the relevant NIS official to review and process in the event that the request meets the standards required by the NIS
- The NIS will review the request and , if it’s in compliance they will then register the request on their records and deprive you of the right to receive the funeral grant and transfer the rights to the individual that you have specified on your request. It is important to note that the individual must also be a candidate for the funeral grant.
Documents required to obtain a Funeral Grant Waiver
- Complete application letter
- Valid identification documents
- National insurance card
- Certification of Commission (where appropriate)
Office Locations and Contacts
Ministry of Labor and Social Security (MLSS)
National Insurance Scheme
Address 14, National Heroes Circle Kingston 4 Jamaica
Tel: 876-922-8000 0r 888-991-2089
Website: [www.mlss.gov.jm Link]
NIS parish offices: [www.mlss.gov.jm/parish-offices/ Link]
Contact details and office hours: Link
National Insurance Fund
Address: 40 Knutsford Boulevard, Kingston 5Jamaica, West Indies
Tel: (876) 908-0025Tel: (876) 908-0019 -21
Fax: (876) 908-0028MLSS
contact details: Link
What are the eligibility requirements?
Anyone who has submitted an application for funeral grants can apply for a funeral grant.
The application is available for free.
Documents to Utilize
Application for a waiver of funeral grant: Link
The application form needs to be witnessed by a recognised official such as an official of the Justice of the Peace or an official from a Notary Public office. However in the event that the application has been signed by a Notary Public official then you must get the appropriate certification by the County Clerk’s Office and attach it to the application form.
- Contact details
- Email address
- Signature of the witness and details about the witness
The Document is required
The application shows that you have sought for the NIS for a waiver of your rights to receive a funeral gift and transfer the rights an individual who has was requesting the grant